Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Does Warcraft have any unexplored mystires left in it?

Firstly, let me emphasize the term 'unexplored mysteries'. I do not mean making content and calling it a mystery, rather, I am talking of long standing lore within warcraft that has been kept beyond peoples reach for so long.

For example. Lets go back to vanilla when wow began. This was where unexplored mysteries really holds its greatest, simply because we set out to explore and discover the world, and yet could not see everything. We didn't know what lay behind the gates of karazhan. We didn't know what lay beyond the gates of zul'amen. We knew northrend existed, but we could not go there. We knew about the dragon aspects but they remained beyond our reach.

Then, as the game progressed, these mysteries opened up to us. We got to venture into those dungeons and raids we knew were there but could not get to. We got to meet those mysterious characters from warcrafts past who remained aloof or out of tough, and see things we wondered about since warcraft 3 and before that even.

And yet, as the game as progressed and revealed and opened these mysteries to us, it also means we don't have hardly anything left that remains a curiosity to us, we have literally seen it all.

To this end, it seems blizzard has taken on the idea of developing new, fresh lore, without longstanding backstory from warcraft past. Pandaria, despite having its own myth and history, is not so much longstanding lore, but myth created for the purpose of it being there. I'm not saying i'm disappointed in any of the myth and history in pandaria, its just.. unlike the kinds of things we longed to see when wow first started, this is more what blizzard has created here and now.

I suppose things like what lurks under the ocean, where is queen azshara, does Argus still exist. Where are the titans, these kind of elements that might still give the story some longstanding depth. Yet, its not as much as it use to be.

Deleted
    emerald dream still needs fully integrating into the game, if that's what you mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    emerald dream still needs fully integrating into the game, if that's what you mean.
    that is a concept, but much like pandaria, not much is known of it other then it might be old god related.

Also, I'm certain blizzard 'resolved' the emerald dream in the novel stormrage.

Deleted
    oh there is also the ethereal home world that could be introduced, in fact one NPC Hints at the possibility that the Ethereal could become a threat at some point in the future with the comment
    “We openly deal with the ethereal, ignorant of their true intentions. Could we be aiding in the preparation of our own demise?”

the biggest is obviously the portal in outland. we know they CAN be reactivated we know a few are we dont seem to know where or when or who they go to and who has and whats happened to those that have gone through them.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the biggest is obviously the portal in outland. we know they CAN be reactivated we know a few are we dont seem to know where or when or who they go to and who has and whats happened to those that have gone through them.
    I think that that could be the portal to the Etheral Home world as it is pretty close to the base of operations for the ethereal in Blades Edge, I know its known now as deaths door so I could summarize that the demons are in the process of taking it over to open to the real of the Burning legion

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    I think that that could be the portal to the Etheral Home world as it is pretty close to the base of operations for the ethereal in Blades Edge, I know its known now as deaths door so I could summarize that the demons are in the process of taking it over to open to the real of the Burning legion
    eh we dont know how the ethereal got to outland yet. ts possible they came through a portal but its also possible they came on some kind of machine or space craft

---------- Post added 2013-02-21 at 08:23 PM ----------

also i meant to say portals not portal. so even if one does go to the new ethereal homeworld the others could go to completely different places. ka'resh was destroyed though so for all we know they might not even have a homeworld and might be nomads
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    that is a concept, but much like pandaria, not much is known of it other then it might be old god related.

Also, I'm certain blizzard 'resolved' the emerald dream in the novel stormrage.
    The Nightmare didn't truly go away in Stormrage, it just receeded. And in the new Ebook Dawn of the Aspects,*SPOILERS* there is a point where Yseras daughter speaks up to all the Aspects at Wyrmrest claiming that the Nightmare is stirring now that Ysera holds no power over the Emerald Dream , Ysera then goes on to say that anything amiss with the Dream is now in the hands of the Druids.*SPOILERS*

So.. I wouldn't say that the Emerald dream if off the cards for future exploration in story or possible ingame venturing!

10+ Year Old Account
    There are lots of them.

What of Argus?

What of Alleria and Turalyon?

What lies beneath Bael modan? We know it's something that holds an advanced form of the curse of flesh, able to instantly turn dwarf into Trogg.

And most importantly... why don't the windows on the buildings in Stormwind have any openings on the inside?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

You're looking for mysteries? The underwater village in Tanaris and the Karazhan catacombs are two weird areas that have never been explained that have been around for ages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    The Nightmare didn't truly go away in Stormrage, it just receeded. And in the new Ebook Dawn of the Aspects, there is a point where Yseras daughter speaks up to all the Aspects at Wyrmrest claiming that the Nightmare is stirring now that Ysera holds no power over the Emerald Dream , Ysera then goes on to say that anything amiss with the Dream is now in the hands of the Druids.

So.. I wouldn't say that the Emerald dream if off the cards for future exploration in story or possible ingame venturing!
    Aaah, interesting, I didn't yet read though dawn of the aspects so that does present a possibility.

I can see it now, trouble in the emerald dream and so Malfurion steps up and calls all azeroths heroes to help. He only allows certain numbers to use the dream portals around azeroth. But Gallywix gets wind of all this and begins to sell his 'Dream'A'GoGo' juice, sold by innkeepers to knock anyone into the dream. this cause a mess in the balance of the dream, and we have to sort it out.

Oh that Gallywix.

Well I would say there are quite a fair number of them that still are very much a mystery. Things I wonder about are mainly people but also some places. Like, what's become of Alleria and Turalyon? Will their son ever find his parents? What of Garona's son? Yes Queen Azshara comes to mind. Will we ever get to see that place and see her story? I would hope so at some point. How about Suramar, not sure if it's at the bottom of the ocean or not but would like to kinda see it in WoW somehow.

That's just off the top of my head, but there's plenty of mystery left. Oh yeah, how about the return of the burning legion. It's coming, it's kind of a prophecy hinted at in some quests leveling up. Or at least something along those lines.

What's under Tirisfal. Explained early on as something that drove the magically attuned Highborne bonkers. Had no effect on the humans living there nor the Undead there now. Was stated as NOT being an Old God.
    Shattered lands and remnants of the South Seas. Kalimdor was a huge continent, Pandaria was wretched free as a large floating landmass, as was Zandalar, Echo Isles etc. What else could be out there, lost to time and hidden away for 10000 years. Lost tribe of Trolls, an enclave of Night Elves from the southern hemisphere separated for 10000 years, another Titan device etc.
    The deep seas of Azeroth. As annoying as it was navigating through Vashj'ir the zone was very mysterious and amazing.
    The whereabouts of the Titans and even a more solid understanding of what they are.
    The original appearance and nature of demons; what they were before succumbing to fel magic addiction.
    The timeline prior to 12000 years, fully laid out. It's still hazy.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 01:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkaandi View Post
    What of Garona's son?
    He fell, head first onto a warmaul 5 times and then went off the grid. Don't worry about him.
    Last edited by Justignoreme; 2013-02-22 at 01:38 AM.

Whats east of Eastern Kingdoms? Its said any ship that sails that direction never returns. I assume it will be expansion related someday.

Where do all the portals on outland lead to? Why do they have those statues around them?

Where are the titans?

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    What's under Tirisfal. Explained early on as something that drove the magically attuned Highborne bonkers. Had no effect on the humans living their nor the Undead there now. Was stated as NOT being an Old God.
    we dont really know that for sure. it could just be that by the time the elves showed up the humans had gotten used to it already

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    You're looking for mysteries? The underwater village in Tanaris and the Karazhan catacombs are two weird areas that have never been explained that have been around for ages.
    I'm more talking about lore, not easter eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    Whats east of Eastern Kingdoms? Its said any ship that sails that direction never returns. I assume it will be expansion related someday.

Where do all the portals on outland lead to? Why do they have those statues around them?

Where are the titans?
    The Azerothian trapezoid is east of easter kingdoms...

the faerie ritual in the elevated western area of Tirisfal.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Aaah, interesting, I didn't yet read though dawn of the aspects so that does present a possibility.

I can see it now, trouble in the emerald dream and so Malfurion steps up and calls all azeroths heroes to help. He only allows certain numbers to use the dream portals around azeroth. But Gallywix gets wind of all this and begins to sell his 'Dream'A'GoGo' juice, sold by innkeepers to knock anyone into the dream. this cause a mess in the balance of the dream, and we have to sort it out.

Oh that Gallywix.
    You should totally go write for Blizz hehe.

But on a serious note, I do think that The Emerald Dream still holds alot of mystery , I mean what do we really know about it, not alot obviously, we know what we have been told, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be more to the Dream, that Ysera has kept to herself, and now that she is jaded towards The Dream and Azeroth, things may start happening, that the Druids can't contain/deal with.

I dunno about it being a whole expansion, but certainly would love to see it as maybe a large Ulduar style raid with quest hub or something, or even just a really long story chain maybe tied to a Legendary (similar to Wrathions) giving us more back story about the Dream, and possibly having to go there (a little bit more indepth than the Emerald Dream chain quest from WOTLK - I was dissapointed we had barriers and were confined to such a tiny area)

The Emerald Dream for me is a mystery of WoW, and a place I have always been interested in, and would love to see with my own eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    we dont really know that for sure. it could just be that by the time the elves showed up the humans had gotten used to it already
    That'd be a boring explanation for it though :/