Deleted

taking a lot of damage during leveling in pandaria

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...azanume/simple

I've tried fire and frost both, and mobs are just owning me at the start of jade forest.

any advice you can give me?

Slow down pull mobs 1 at a time untill you get more comfortable. Use your survivability talents and spells. If you can get a friend to take you to pawdown village and buy mop greens. You will gain a ton of stamina and about 30 ilevel

You can buy 372 gear at vendors in jade forrest, that should solve your problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well. I can just tell you that the mobs are designed to be difficult and unless you're a tank spec it's quite difficult to avoid taking a lot of damage, especially if you pull several mobs at the same time. This doesn't change even when you are raid geared and doing dailies.

Remember to use *everything* our spec allows, both defensive and offensive cooldowns. The faster you kill the mobs the less damage you will take. There is a common misconception that are super cooldowns aren't used outside of bosses.

Just a reminder: defensive talents, freeze talents, immunity talents, alter time, mirror image, ice block, power/combustion/icy veins.

It gets better when you get some Pandaria greens, just avoid pulling big packs at start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also I forgot deep freeze shatter, it's a huge help.

And if you pull several mobs, don't aoe them with blizz, flamestrike and explosion, they don't do nearly enough damage at that point.

Deleted
    I loved levelling in frost. All the freezes, stuns, slows make it easily possible to kill entire mobs without them ever touching you.

Granted, 85-90 I did as fire playing together with a prot pala, but Frost makes (solo-)life so much easier.

Edit.

Kind of didnt add any advice o.O My advice would be to stick to frost and make good use of all CC moves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    My advice would be to stick to frost and make good use of all CC moves.
    This, Frost is (imo) the easiest levelling spec as there's so little downtime. You have so much control over adds with extra Nova and Frozen orb that it's quite easy to handle. I still levelled my second Mage as Arcane for speed purposes; oh well.

My mage alt is a bit better geared and I'm not having any issue. If you can get to one of the gear vendors, this will help a lot.

I was leveling up as fire, nothing really had a chance against me. Sometimes I was pulling 1, then groups of 2 and sometimes groups of 5-6 with a huge kiting while spreading dots/stuns/novas etc.

Remember they've changed the way Mages are now.

You get deep freeze as any spec, so get those novas down and deep freeze often. I took Frostjaw as a nice range root.

If fire
    Open with a pryoblast, living bomb, combustion (this will stun for 3 seconds, and place a heavy dot on the target). If you've pulled two by mistake, fireblast to share the dots over and just use novas to trap them, deep freeze one and nuke.

I've not tried frost properly, since I didn't like it. Fire was more for me, but tempted to try arcane (leveling slowly since I get easily bored).

EDIT:
    Frostjaw *

As frost you could do some pretty good aoe grinds without the mobs ever reaching you.

To build kind of on what Kosic said, when I leveled, I took complete advantage of shatter and using out of school spells.

I took frostjaw talent, frostfirebolt with glyph for the slow, and I think evocation glyph for the heal, and fireblast glyph for the occasion that I pulled 2 or 3.

I would open with frostjaw, LB, pyro, inferno blast, pyro!, and usually one more FFB was enough to finish them off with the bomb detonation damage. If it doesn't, the FFB slow will help you have enough time to finish them with another FFB or 2 assuming you don't get any other procs.

Of course, this means you won't have frostjaw up for every mob, so you just alternate where you put it in your series as it comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    As frost you could do some pretty good aoe grinds without the mobs ever reaching you.
    you could....until they nerfed how aoe damage spells worked about 2 years ago....original levelling on my mage I pulled almost the entire castle thing in Arathi Highlands and kited/aoed them down

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    you could....until they nerfed how aoe damage spells worked about 2 years ago....original levelling on my mage I pulled almost the entire castle thing in Arathi Highlands and kited/aoed them down
    You still can do mad aoe.. While leveling i could take 10 mobs (non caster) and aoe them down pretty fast.

At max level a frost mage can pull 15+ mobs and clean them up in a matter of seconds..

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to clarify, AoE spells (with some exceptions but I can't remember which ones) have diminishing returns when hitting more than 10 mobs. For example if a spell says that it hits every mob in a radius for 10k damage, then with 10 targets it would hit for 100k damage. At 11 targets, it would still hit for 100k damage or 9.x thousand per target.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    any advice you can give me?
    Run Pandaria dungeons (or End Time heroics if you don't have the item level for them) to boost yourself out of last expansion's gear, buy some greens if you need to off the AH, and spec Arcane with the Slow glyph and try not to drop 6 stacks. Snipe things from maximum range and don't try to AoE.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1