Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Last Minute Suggestions on a build

I've finally narrowed it down to all of the components I want, but I want to make sure that there aren't any glaring issues so I thought I would post the "final" setup.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.90 @ Amazon Canada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.57 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($118.66 @ DirectCanada)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.00 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($103.85 @ DirectCanada)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.72 @ DirectCanada)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.45 @ DirectCanada)
    Monitor: Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor ($148.11 @ DirectCanada)
    Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Total: $1307.01
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-22 09:30 EST-0500)

Ontop of those parts are there any other things I will need to purchase? I'm completely new to computer building, and would rather not make mistakes ^_^

Thanks!!

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd get the low-profile RAM. The big heat spreaders don't have any benefit in normal circumstances

Consider Windows 7 unless you really want Windows 8. I'm not a fan of it, but it's all personal preference. Newest != Best

And also consider the Samsung 830, 840, or 840 Pro over the Vertex. Not for speed, but reliability

Otherwise, looks good
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Seconded, pretty much what Demon said. Low profile ram. An 840 (non-pro) does well. I personally have an 830, but they're usually more expensive, or out of stock. I don't feel the 840 Pro is worth the money for performance. It's kind of like having a car that can go 200, or a car that can go 300... But the speed limit is still 80.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

A bit of advice about the case. If you don't want the holes for the fans where they are now you could rotate the window 180 degrees or if you have the tools and are feeling constructive you could get a piece of acrylic and make a solid window. Other than that it is an awesome case. The rest of the build looks fine with the tips the others have made.

Only thing I'd consider changing is the SSD. I'd go bigger. If I remember your previous post, you wanted to not only do WoW, but GW2 and other games. I'd highly recommend going bigger because WoW and GW2 will take up a ton of room and you will want to leave some room on the drive for expansions and OS updates as well.

NewEgg is having a storage sale event and you can get the Samsung 840pro 256gb for $215. IMO definitely worth the extra scratch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I don't feel the 840 Pro is worth the money for performance. It's kind of like having a car that can go 200, or a car that can go 300... But the speed limit is still 80.
    I mostly agree but it's not just what you mention, there is also 5 year warranty on top of that for the pro. On a budget though I agree either save the money or put it towards a bigger SSD or upgrade other parts for more performance.

120GB is enough for SSD, 256GB if you got more than few games and want to micromanage less. Samsung 830, 840, 840pro, Crucial M4 for reliability mainly.

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 1 - Choosing Your Components
    Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build
    Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 3 - Installing Windows & Finishing Touches

What about a mouse?

10+ Year Old Account
    Potentially already has one laying around, could also be an oversight by the OP.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the tips I went with a larger 840pro series. Can't remember if 250 or 256GB. The nonlowpro ram was an oversight I definitely would not have noticed, so I'm very thankful it was pointed out. Also I have several mice so there was no need for another. Parts are to be here by friday or monday of the following week at the latest. Great help from everyone on the board

Deleted