Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If my friends are keen on starting up, I'm pumped and promote the game to them. I tell them what we can do, what he can do and so forth.

I always throw in "it can be a trap though, man" just for the sake of it. I've had friends that have picked up the game from watching me play and now are playing 10 hours a day and rarely come out to socialize anymore.

I ruined his life!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    Simple question. I think it would be interesting to see what people actually think about WoW. would you recommend WoW to a friend?

for simplicity sake, assume that the friend has played other games before, but not yet an MMO, and wants to start playing one. He has no prior knowledge of WoW or MMO's in general, although he does know what an MMO is.

I would personally explain what I find is good about WoW and what is less interesting, and let him make up his mind from there.
    I would tell him or her, "HELL NO!".

Friend: "Haha, why not?"

Me: "It's addicting as fuck, you spend what? 2-3 hours a day on Call of Duty at the most right? You'll be spending twice that much in one day if you want to get anything reasonable done in the game. Speaking of which, the game will make you feel like you have to play, at some point, I don't know exactly where it is at, but it turns from a game to kind of a part time job. You'll start complaining about this and that, you'll be asked by other people to show up for an event at certain times, and you'll debate about quitting, but in the end you'll just stay addicted and gain 50 pounds."

Friend: "Ok then, no World of Warcraft for me then! I enjoy life!"

Me: "Good choice young one... good choice."

Friend: "I'm older than you ya douche."
    Call me House.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. It's a great game to level up this first time. All the adventures, artwork, cool zones and meeting some nice people. But once you hit max level,, quit. It all goes downhill rapidly.
    Operation Red Wing

I would absolutely tell them to start playing.

I would also tell them to stay away from forums. If they really felt the need to go to them, they need to understand that the forums do NOT represent the feelings of a majority of the actual people you meet in game. Forums are usually a place people go to vent. So be aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I think WoW is a great game and can appeal to a very wide variety of players, and the trial is free, so why not try?
    I think that the trial month is really not very helpful anymore. It probably hasn't been for a long time. 90% of the game happens at max level. I'd be surprised if most new players even get halfway there in their first month.

I think that's a problem WoW has that is impossible to solve. There is no "try it before you buy it". In a lot of games, that's okay. There's nothing that says a game HAS to have a trial mode. However, getting to the real game in WoW requires way more of an investment than most games. Besides the cost of buying all the other expansions, you also have to invest the time it takes to get to max level. $100 and 100 hours of your life is a lot to give just to begin playing a game.

Edit: Isn't WoW doing something like giving out free 80s to trials? I wonder if that would help the problem or just create a bunch of people who don't know how to play their class?

OT:
    I wouldn't encourage a friend to play WoW. However, I wouldn't discourage him from it either. Whichever side of the fence he's leaning is the direction I'd push him over. If he's iffy, I'd tell him no. At this point, like others in this thread, I feel that the new player ship has sailed. And, since I don't play, any friend of mine would likely be on his own. That's not a very good place to be in WoW anymore.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2013-02-23 at 07:59 AM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I would suggest other MMOs if they were looking for an MMO to play. It's not that WoW is a bad game (it's not), it's just that there are other, smaller MMOs out there with great communities and fun content.
    I second this. I'd send them to a good F2P MMO before something with a subscription. It'd give my friend a chance to get used to the genre and playing with other people (most of whom are much nicer than the players in the WoW community these days) and see how they liked it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda late for starting WoW, but I'd suggest him/her to roll a trial account and decide for himself.

only game worth playing.

QQ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    I would tell him or her, "HELL NO!".

Friend: "Haha, why not?"

Me: "It's addicting as fuck, you spend what? 2-3 hours a day on Call of Duty at the most right? You'll be spending twice that much in one day if you want to get anything reasonable done in the game. Speaking of which, the game will make you feel like you have to play, at some point, I don't know exactly where it is at, but it turns from a game to kind of a part time job. You'll start complaining about this and that, you'll be asked by other people to show up for an event at certain times, and you'll debate about quitting, but in the end you'll just stay addicted and gain 50 pounds."

Friend: "Ok then, no World of Warcraft for me then! I enjoy life!"
    "
    A thousand times this... As much as I love playing this game, it really, truly is addicting as fuck.
    I couldn't put a friend or loved one in that position, especially someone who's prone to an addictive personality.
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    I think that the trial month is really not very helpful anymore. It probably hasn't been for a long time. 90% of the game happens at max level. I'd be surprised if most new players even get halfway there in their first month.
    (fwiw the trial is unlimited duration now, it just caps out at level 20)

Ehhh... yes and no, I think.

A lot of the people for whom WoW isn't their taste will know immediately from the trial without having to get that far. For example, if you have a lot of MMO experience, you might know exactly what you want in the gameplay or the art style you prefer, etc, and those are things you get a feel for early. Or take the case of a friend of mine who joined briefly: coming from FPS games, he had zero patience for quests or having to run all the way across the map to kill the things he needed to kill; he knew right away the game was not for him. It might be hard to see if positive feelings will hold up, but it should be pretty apparently if you have strong negative feelings. I can't see someone new hating the game initially and then growing to love it, and really it doens't work like that anyway -- most people just won't invest the game to "grow" to love something they dislike.

And as far as having positive initial feelings, I think the trial is sufficient enough to tell if the game is worth purchasing for you. You might not end up deciding the game isn't really for you after you've gotten to level 90 and found out end game content isn't your style and you're bored, but you probably at least got your money's worth of the retail cost in gameplay time getting there.

Trials and demos for any game, are never a sure thing because by definition the only include a limited amount of content (either in time or range), and it's entirely possible that someone like the fragment they experience but end up not liking the overall game... but I still think the trial will be a good indicator for a lot of people.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    I would not. I would suggest him tera, everything in it is better and it's free. This is ofcourse personal opinion.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

It's what you make of it of course. If they want to try it out, sure. if they have a obsessive/addictive personality.. probably not.

Do I want their significant other to hate me.. hell no. I would say its fun I like it but I would be very honest about the time commitment. I would not do RAF. I would have them do 1-90 and really experience the game and all the content. I would prob tell them to read all the quest texts and every book that is clickable so they understand the concept of what is taking place in game and why. Immersion is the key to the adventure wow brings to the table.
    Last edited by kennyisnotdead; 2013-02-22 at 05:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    Simple question. I think it would be interesting to see what people actually think about WoW. would you recommend WoW to a friend?
    I don't think I could willingly push someone else in the direction of a game that is an obvious addiction for some and had been for me. Though I barely play 10 hours a week now, I don't think I would want the responsibility of getting someone else hooked on the time vampire that is WoW. During TBC, sure. 70 levels and no dailies. Now, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    For example, if you have a lot of MMO experience,
    The friend in the scenario has NO experience with an MMO (assuming MMORPG).

With that I'd say "No."

There are far too many F2P MMOs out there for me to recommend WoW.

Interesting question. If he is interested in playing an mmo, then why not. But you'll have to set him up for the type of game that it is. If the friend is used to playing single player (or multiplayer games like shooters) then he might be in for a shock due to mmos having poor gameplay and graphics in comparison to other games. However, if they are willing to get past that then sure, why not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, go ahead, why not?

15+ Year Old Account
    My nephews and a good friend of mine all expressed interest in playing WoW with me. It sounded great at first until they started asking such questions as "why is everything that is good get soulbound?" and "why does my gnome look like its from an N64 game?". Then I had to explain to them how much time they would have to invest to even see endgame, and they swiftly uninstalled.

Also, the hefty pricetag of buying all the xpacs turns almost everybody off.

Deleted
    Not to IRL friends. For three reasons

1) I want to keep irl friends away from gaming
    2) They are better off than spending "3-5 hours a day" on mmo games
    3) They dont know I play it so I would just deny I ever played.

I suggested one irl friend it tho. He got addicted. Like really.
    It wasnt so bad because we played together and I didnt really see it. We went to school and did fine there, played at past time. But then we quit (for other mmos and totally burnt on mmos soon after that) and all he ever talked was wow wow wow even after quitting.
    I was away for year of that game and every week he would have "urge to buy mop and time" for freaking year.
    I even got him other games to make him stop thinking about it. 30 mins and it was back to "should I buy time..everyone says its fun".

not going thro that again, so reducing chances that would happen is best bet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noskillz View Post
    2. NEVER EVER talk about the game when we are out, even if we are alone... that's VERY annoying.
    Why would that be annoying? One of the best subjects ever.
    Sure if u dont like talking about wow, but why would u not want to talk about it only when ur out
    i really dont get it

10+ Year Old Account
    I would happily buy the game for a friend and raf him/her. I don't have many friends in the game so if I am online and they aren't, it is kinda sad, the more friends the better.

I would say, sure, definitely start the game, there are so many things to do in it that surely you will find something you enjoy.

Wow has been the first game for me, when i was little, I played packman and I've seen my dad play age of empires a few times later on. So, gaming experience was equal to zero. God I loved the game when I started it. Still do ^^