Deleted

A few questions...

Hey all :-)

I used to tank and have my own guild on Rift. Loved that game, I would say if it wasn't for having a family I would have spent every hour I could on it. My fiancé bought me a iPad for my birthday and have been playing Order Of Chaos. I have a gaming laptop that just collects dust, so was thinking of maybe getting into an mmo again. So a few questions if possible?

1. How is the community?

2. Is there a trial version I can download without buying the game outright?

3. I read before release that tanks, dps etc were all viable on one char.. Is this correct or is it still specific class's better than other for certain roles?

4. What is the level cap?

5. Is the fact you can move between any guild a good or bad thing?

6. Is this game more focused on skill than who has played the game the longest? As in vanity items are what you look for rather than grind for the best gear?

7. How is the crafting system on this game?

8. Would you say a casual player would find this game a better choice over some other mmo's?

9. Is there raids, dungeons etc to do in groups?

10. As stupid as this sounds, I'm more a lone wolf but love being in a mmo world.. Is this game fun to play on your own and just group up when you want?

Thanks very much to anyone who can help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, i'll answer these for ya with my total biased towards GW2 and non min-maxer view point xD

1) From what -i've- seen the community in the game is amazing, the forum community is... well a bunch of whiney 5 year olds who don't believe in facts (this is the OFFICIAL forums btw), so essentially just avoid the forums and you'll see a really good community. They're really talkative, and helpful (mostly), i really enjoy it.

2) There is no trial version atm, they -may- have another weekend trial sometime... but i really don't know how long that will take to happen again, so i personally wouldn't rely on this, but that's just me.

3) Well, there's no holy trinity in this game, there is however Control (CC the enemy), Support (Buffing allies, making enemies more vulnerable, deal less dmg etc) and Damage (both DoTs and Direct). That being said, you can absolutely be very "tanky" by getting a ton of Control + Support (or hell you can go Control + Damage too, you just need a lot of control), however you can't tank 100% of the time like in WoW or Rift you'll have to back out a bit because you can only take a finite amount of damage before you'll go down seeing as how the only worthwhile heal is your own self heal. That being said, every prof is -good- at each of those, some are better at certain aspects than others (IE necromancers are the kings of condition manipulation, where a warrior is the king of Hard CC and raw health + armor numbers).

4) lv 80

5) I personally see it as a good thing, but that's more because people tend to have their one main guild, and then 2 other guilds they go to play with occasionally. An example of what my friend does is he's in an RP guild as his "main" guild and then he's in a PvP guild that he plays in a TON as well, but just jumps back and forth between who he represents.

6) I'd say it absolutely believes more on skill than on gear, people will -claim- that a gear tier (IE exotic --> ascended) will make a ton of difference, it doesn't, it just flat out doesn't. ESPECIALLY in sPvP, you will always be on equal footing gear wise there.

7) I like it, it's different, it's sort of "mine crafty" where you put in a few items and out pops your item. You have to discover just about all your recipes, but learn the essentials automatically (IE sword hilts and sword blades).

8) I'm a casual, and it's A LOT more casual friendly than other MMOs, you don't have to play X amount a week in order to be viable, not to mention a lot of the content is content you can just pick up and finish in ~30min-1hr making it great for casual gaming.

9) there are not raids, there are large scale events in the open world that have some really cool bosses, they're kinda easy though, so if you want ball busting difficulty you would probably want instances (even though they're not -super- hard). And then these new Guild Missions that are coming out are supposed to be so difficult that even the internal testers haven't completed a few of them (but have gotten really close to), so there's that.

10) And yes, you totally can do that, i personally can't stand not being grouped, but none of my friends share that and are quite happy to run around doing their own thing even while not grouped.

Hope that helps a bit! i can clarify a few better if you need me to.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Durzlla answered your questions so I'll just add this.

Although there is no free trial (there has been only 1 free weekend trial for friend's since launch) there is an upcoming 2 day sale on Amazon.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...azon_download/
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Best feature there is in this game, there is NO mob/node tagging, in fact you are rewarded if you help someone out. So if you see someone struggling with an elite mob you dont need an inivte you just dps it down together and you both get loot and xp.

I cannot play any other MMO anymore due to this cool mechanic.

1. Same as every MMO ever.
    2. No.
    3. There are no tanks, healers or DPS. The game does not have defined class roles or a holy trinity. Read.
    4. 80.
    5. No.
    6. Sorta. GW2 is an action MMO.
    7. Excellent. Very fast, simple and allows you to level to 80 totally from crafting.
    8. Guild Wars 2 is the most casual friendly MMO ever made short of the MMOs literally made for young children. Such as Wizard 101 and such.
    9. There are no raids. Just dungeons and open world events.
    10. Question can't be answered. Totally on you. Though no modern MMO is solo player unfriendly. Especially new era MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. As MMOs go its okay, rabid fanboyism a plenty but generally good.

2. No, only once has it happened, right in the middle of a big content update so servers lagged to hell.

3. Sort of, it works kind of differently

4. 80

5. Guild hopping is a terrible thing, an uneccassary addition, has any other mmo done this?

6. It certainly requires no more skill than any other mmo but its certainly not gear based so yes.

7. Bloated and unsatisfactory imo.

8. No, not really all mmos can be played casually depending on what you like. If you want to be in the best gear at all times then yes it is, if you just want to see and experience content then its no less casual than other games.

9. Dungeons, havent done them cant comment.

10.Oh absolutely, just expect other people to come along and help out, it doesnt do you any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    5. Guild hopping is a terrible thing, an uneccassary addition, has any other mmo done this?

FFXI had Linkshells, you could own multiple of them but only participate in one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Guild Wars 1 has guild alliances as well. Multi guild is a logical extension of how GW1 guild operated at a certain player threshold and pre existing multi guild systems such as FF11, Lineage and a number of Asian MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    1. Same as every MMO ever.
    2. No.
    3. There are no tanks, healers or DPS. The game does not have defined class roles or a holy trinity. Read.
    4. 80.
    5. No.
    6. Sorta. GW2 is an action MMO.
    7. Excellent. Very fast, simple and allows you to level to 80 totally from crafting.
    8. Guild Wars 2 is the most casual friendly MMO ever made short of the MMOs literally made for young children. Such as Wizard 101 and such.
    9. There are no raids. Just dungeons and open world events.
    10. Question can't be answered. Totally on you. Though no modern MMO is solo player unfriendly. Especially new era MMOs.
    I have to disagree with you only on your first point. I have been in and outa MMOs since EQ1 and the community in GW2 is a much more mature than anything I have run across (possibly the player base age average is increasing). Compared to WoW towards the end of Cata that had so many trolls in Org chat that you could not swing a dead cat without hitting one(Yes multiple servers). "How fast does a level 40 mount cost?" "Anal [Rupture]" and on and on.
    Someone else pointed out that the forums tend to be a little bitchy and I would agree with that.
    Don't get me wrong there are those times where you will see someone post something immature in general chat, hell I’m guilty of it myself on at least a night or two, but it does not seem to be a continuous and self propagating cycle.
    My 2cp…take it or melt it down, make a bullet and put yourself outa misery.

Been playing MMOs since 1999. I notice no real difference from other MMOs.

There are penis jokes in LA chat all the same.

I would say the community is in part formed by the mechanics of the game. I don't believe the people are any nicer or meaner than in other mmos but that mechanics of this game prohibit somewhat some of the asshatery that you see in other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I would say the community is in part formed by the mechanics of the game. I don't believe the people are any nicer or meaner than in other mmos but that mechanics of this game prohibit somewhat some of the asshatery that you see in other games.
    Not sure I understand your point here. Are you saying that because ANET has less to lose by banning a moron for being a moron than Blizzard since it would effect Blizzard's income stream that GW2 players are more courtious?

No. He is saying that environment of GW2 encourages cooperation and equity among players to a greater degree than other MMOs. Thus for example, you don't get the "ninja looter" mentality, a de-emphasis on number tracking vis-a-vis other players, no competition for nodes/mobs, etc.

Making the game a more inherently friendly play environment rather than a world where every player is potentially out to screw you over by merely existing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalgomar View Post
    Not sure I understand your point here. Are you saying that because ANET has less to lose by banning a moron for being a moron than Blizzard since it would effect Blizzard's income stream that GW2 players are more courtious?
    No thats not it, Dooze is right, when I see a player in GW2 I dont go ugh time to fight over bear arses, in GW2 I go yay easier for me faster loots etc. It breeds a tolerance of your fellow player instead of teeth grinding and resentment. I have noted it on various quests in wow, with elite mobs for some of the dailies, where blizzard have implemented shared kills and you see people diving in all the time, that needs to be the norm to help promote a community.

just give it a shot if you havent already. honestly never really like GW, but this one is better imo.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the input and great replies. This game does seem like it could be for me. I feel Rift is my first love, but I just can't control myself when playing it lol. Hopefully the laid back approach this game looks like it offers will be better for me. I asked in another forum also and found the game itself is 30% off on official site and all responses to my questions were all positive. Unfortunately it's persuading my fiancé to let me part with £35 before pay day.

I have a np550p7c currently and wondered if this will run GW2 ok?