1. #1

    Best spec for soloing old content as mage with low ilvl

    Hello, so I have leveled a mage to 90 just for the purpose of doing TK and Onyxia Lair for the extra chance at the mounts.
    What do you feel it's the best specc for soloing those with low ivl ( around 463).
    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    I'd go frost.

    Arcane has poor mobility, fire needs good gear to be ok.

    Frost has on demand burst, great control and survivability.

  3. #3
    Fluffy Kitten LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,624
    Frost or Fire. Both have niches. I personally prefer frost for quick bursty fights, but Fire for longer fights or fights with multiple adds (i.e. Lich King I have found Fire to be more helpful for w/e reason). Arcane is just.....no.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,563
    I would say fire, I just find it a much more enjoyable spec

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    I would say fire, I just find it a much more enjoyable spec
    Yeah if you enjoy having a crit every 5 fireball with that kind of gear..

  6. #6
    I vote frost.

  7. #7
    K frost is it, one more thing now, for boss fights ( Onyxia/ TK) what bomb is the best from the tier 5 talents?
    Thanks again!

  8. #8
    Fluffy Kitten LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Exceeed View Post
    K frost is it, one more thing now, for boss fights ( Onyxia/ TK) what bomb is the best from the tier 5 talents?
    Thanks again!
    If you have Light of the Cosmos, use NT. Otherwise Frost Bomb works fine, and if you are dealing with whelps for Onyxia I would recommend it. However, for TK I would use NT for the 4 champion phase thing so even if you are stunned you can still do damage.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

  9. #9
    also, for TK, dismiss your pet once kael'thas becomes active, so you don't get MC'd. I don't know if it's worth it to equip the staff of desintegration to avoid the stuns or disorients, since you lose a ton of SP that way.
    Currently only reading the Funny Pictures Megathread because the rest of the forums is filled with piss, whiners and pissed whiners.

  10. #10
    Fluffy Kitten LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,624
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    also, for TK, dismiss your pet once kael'thas becomes active, so you don't get MC'd. I don't know if it's worth it to equip the staff of desintegration to avoid the stuns or disorients, since you lose a ton of SP that way.
    I have never needed to get rid of my pet, I've never been MC'd doing it. Also the staff is not worth it. You can just pop MI and TW and they will drop. Alter Time also works to get around stuns, as does Ice Block.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    I'd go frost.

    Arcane has poor mobility, fire needs good gear to be ok.

    Frost has on demand burst, great control and survivability.
    Nyeh. Arcane is fine for EoE and Onyxia I've found, if this "soloing old content" is just for the mounts.

    Granted, at lower iLevels, I'd say Frost is the best specc. Fire's the most gear dependent, and Arcane is quite gear dependent. Frost is the worst scale-r so it's better at lower iLevels.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •