Affliction Trinket and 5.2 Question

Yesterday I was lucky enough to win a Heroic Light of the Cosmos from Heroic Elegon and I'm really stoked! BIS trinket yay! However, I'm not sure if I should VP upgrade it or save my VP for the ilvl 522 rep trinket that I can also afford since I will be VP capped by the day 5.2 drops (if it is still dated for the first tuesday in March).

My group is not a HIGH END progression group so I won't be smashing through heroics anytime soon. In T14 we got a boss maybe every 1-2 weeks. We're currently 4/16 HM. I'm assuming we're gonna take a while to get through T15 content as well and I want to prep for that as much as possible. What do you guys think?

Deleted
    I don't have any facts to back this up but, Light of the Cosmos HC upgraded twice is really really good, and will likely still be good once 5.2 drops.
    It's a reliable proc with a reliable ICD.

Although, depending on your prefered specc, that haste proc is pretty sweet too!

If you want to prep for your first raid you should max your char and thus upgrade the trinket. You won't have the new valor trinket until couple of weeks after the patch and can just complement it with your LotC once you have the valor for it.

There was a blue post saying that your first boss kill in Throne will be enough for friendly, and thusly, the trinket. So if your guild is able to kill it in the first week of 5.2, you'll have the option.

Yeah you're right. My bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time-to-522-trinket aside, upgrading LotC is (generally) still a good idea, since the 522 trinket is one of two slots, and LotC is still incredible =). It's possible you'll get crazy lucky and replace it the first week (coin/surprise kill/lucky-arse-loot-rolls) but if you don't, it should hold weight just fine at 510.

Thanks for the replies guys, I just upgraded it 2/2. Hopefully it lasts a while and at least helps us in our progression in the 2 weeks before. Gonna try Blade Lord HM tonight since it seems to be the simplest in HoF.

Deleted
    well, you also need to keep in mind that you can buy an excellent necklace as soon as 5.2 as you only need neutral for it, ofc if you're capped by the release it wont be a problem, the neck+trinket is exactly 3k VP

As an update, we got H Blade Lord tonight after 3 hours of attempts. I'm gonna say the 2/2 trinket was the last push to get him. Lawl.

I'm gonna probably be getting the wrists and then the trinket when 5.2 drops.

Deleted
    i did lfr earlier today, and you could get shado-pan assault rep and just so you know, it wont be as fast as one of the posters have said, i was friendly as soon as i killed the 3rd boss, so it will take a little time, ofc it will be faster once the lfr is released, if ofc they release normals first and the lfr the week after like they did this tier.

EDIT: the 100% crit trinket is currently buyable on the ptr, and the procrate is utterly awful. hopefully they will make it a bit more reliable, it makes the essence of terror seem like it procs all the time.
    Last edited by mmoca748dddcc2; 2013-02-24 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    EDIT: the 100% crit trinket is currently buyable on the ptr, and the procrate is utterly awful. hopefully they will make it a bit more reliable, it makes the essence of terror seem like it procs all the time.
    Does it proc only on spellcast or from dot ticking? My guildies are pressuring me to go Destro because of green fire, which might completely change my trinket ranking.

Deleted
    it does seem to only proc from spellcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by kenshinag View Post
    Does it proc only on spellcast or from dot ticking? My guildies are pressuring me to go Destro because of green fire, which might completely change my trinket ranking.
    I've heard the proc rate is extremely low even for high casting specs like Fire, so it's going to be extra terrible for Aff locks. It might be ok for Destro/Demo. I'm not 100% sure if there are 3 Spell DPS trinkets, but if there are I'm thinking we're going to avoid the Unerring Vision of Lei Shen. Maybe we will end up going one raid trink and the VP one.

It's probably using the RealPPM system which should give all casters the same proc rate. Like let's say it has 1 RPPM, you will get a proc once every minute in average even if you cast a spell every 10s or on every global.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    It's probably using the RealPPM system which should give all casters the same proc rate. Like let's say it has 1 RPPM, you will get a proc once every minute in average even if you cast a spell every 10s or on every global.
    I believe it does use RPPM but I don't know if it's adjusted by spec, like the melee DPS legendary meta gem will be. So since it procs on spell casts, it should still be worse for dot specs.

What? No. The only thing that could make this trinket "bad" is a lowered proc rate just because it's a valor item, but I doubt that's the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    - Volatile Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault – 15% chance on landing harmful spell. 45sec ICD.

From http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...6?page=79#1561 . Not sure which I'd prefer, but probably this, since it lines up more predictably and I can plan ahead at least a little bit.