Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Pulling more DPS in demo?

    So AFFLICTION is suppose to be top dps raiding spec. Mhmm i do NOT see that. Currently, i am demo, and i always pull more dps in demo then aff. I have switched back and forth but never seen affliction come anywhere near as good as demo. Last time i checked was back when i had item level 465, now im at 470 gear. I was told affliction scales better with, Certain gear. Where as demo you can get high dps fast in early (before raiding) stages So why is it that i dont get max dps! with aff, Even if i am in fact using the right rotation, It isnt hard, and were talking single target dps is not hard for me to keep my dots uptime 100%. My addon tells me that i am infact doing a great job keeping my dots up. So can someone explaine to me why i do so much more dps in demo (burst & steady).?
    Last edited by xXxexpertxXx; 2013-02-21 at 03:34 AM.

  2. #2
    Warlocks are the current joke being tossed around the office at Blizzard. Beats me, I quit for a few months angered by the laughable damage warlocks had, just came back and something changed. I was going 16k dps in afflic with 464 gear, now I am doing 30-40k dps in afflic. I havent tried demo, but affliction is just hot and cold, I look everywhere and apparently all the locks that play the game have great afflic damage, we just dont get it i guess.

  3. #3
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The deep hot South
    Posts
    211
    Bah, my demo far out-damages/dps's my affliction spec. My Raid Lead wants me to play afflic, because "all the top locks do" and I just laugh. I top the meters as Demo, why change what works for me? I am ilvl 492 or 493 just started Heroic progression. Last night on Feng I placed 177th lock in the world (so the Raid Lead said, I didn't look myself so can't confirm that) so really if what I love to do works why change it?

  4. #4
    All this demo love makes me want to drop my destro offpsec

  5. #5
    Brewmaster Phookah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zebes, SR-21
    Posts
    1,414
    Afflication is considerably better then both other warlock specs at the moment. A few reasons your numbers might be flip-flopped:
    1. You main demo spec, so it may be more comfortable to you then Afflication, and even small things like having .3 less reaction speed make a large difference over a 6-7 minute long fight.
    2. You are trying to use afflication in a 5-man setting, where it typically does terrible due to the nature of the mobs not living very long and giving your DoTs time to tick.
    3. Afflication is considerably more then just "keeping my DoTs up 100% of the time"
    4. Your stat balance could be completely wrong for it.
    @ Toxic Tripp Afflication has been extremely strong since MoP came out, so if you were doing 16k in 464 gear it's a learn to play issue. Pretty much every dps spec in the game can pull at least 40k in 5 man heroic blues.
    "If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light"
    they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."

  6. #6
    ^ false. Had a warlock from the top raiding guild on my server observe me at the dummies and he was scratching his head.

    also expert there is a video sticky at the top of the forum showing tips on affliction, I learned some new things from him. Like that dots dont immediately receive benefits of procs, they have to be refreshed to get them.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC TRIPP View Post
    I was going 16k dps in afflic with 464 gear, now I am doing 30-40k dps in afflic.
    What is this Dragonsoul? If you are doing 16k or (30-40k) then the problem has to be something you are doing man, not that warlock damage is bad.
    Credit to PaulDok for sig!

  8. #8
    Blademaster Vreivai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Not China
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC TRIPP View Post
    I was going 16k dps in afflic with 464 gear
    What the...

    Did your mother drop you on your head as a child?

    And even then I'm pretty sure you'd have to try to do DPS that low.

    I mean, hell, I was doing 60k on Ultraxion at 85 in 5.0.


    Infracted for flaming
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-02-21 at 11:14 AM.

  9. #9
    I suggest getting the AffDots add-on and pay attention to how strong your dots are, instead of just making sure they are on the target.
    Some power auras might work wonders too.

    Good luck, you should realy try the add-on.
    Trylb / Galesin
    Winners never quit, Quitters never win
    Nobody Said It Was Easy

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaed View Post
    Bah, my demo far out-damages/dps's my affliction spec. My Raid Lead wants me to play afflic, because "all the top locks do" and I just laugh. I top the meters as Demo, why change what works for me? I am ilvl 492 or 493 just started Heroic progression. Last night on Feng I placed 177th lock in the world (so the Raid Lead said, I didn't look myself so can't confirm that) so really if what I love to do works why change it?
    You just laugh because you're being passive/aggressive. You probably throw words out like "Meh" "Heh" and "lol" like it's going out of style. You picked one of the few fights that favor demo in T14 to show how strong demo is in AoE. Now go do H Gara'jal and compare the two, or H Elegon, or will. Affliction will blow demo out of the water. So many times you see people in guilds that make everything about them. They won't compromise one way or the other because they don't want to. But if you're progressing on a fight and needing to pull everything you can, and you aren't playing a spec that will perform much better, then you aren't a team player. And not very useful to you raid. Because you know, there are 9 or 24 other people there besides you. You "topping meters" doesn't mean there isn't a better way. If you're on farm, whatever. Nobody is going to care. But if you're progressing on a boss, switching to another spec is going to be alot more than gear upgrades.
    Last edited by Last Starfighter; 2013-02-21 at 08:56 AM.
    Perfect example of why "community" forums are poisonous to the health of a development team. These developers are wasting hundreds of hours trying to stem the tide of incessant bitchery that would never, ever abate so long as these entitled, unfortunate human beings don't get their way.

  11. #11
    @OP: heres the thing, demo is far mor fogiving in the gear and rotation so for your average player it and destro will beat afflic; however, with gear and lots of practice afflic will walk all over demo and destro. afflic is a bit high maintenance but learned and gears correctly it is one of the top 10 specs in the game. all that said demo and destro are very competitive on the average level and in the hands of a skilled player they can hold there own next to afflic but won't beat when going head to head. so unless you are in a min-max guild play the spec you like and do good at.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC TRIPP View Post
    ^ false. Had a warlock from the top raiding guild on my server observe me at the dummies and he was scratching his head.

    also expert there is a video sticky at the top of the forum showing tips on affliction, I learned some new things from him. Like that dots dont immediately receive benefits of procs, they have to be refreshed to get them.
    What are you saying false for? He's not saying any one of those is right. He's saying those are possibilities. So lay off the "expert" bs.
    Perfect example of why "community" forums are poisonous to the health of a development team. These developers are wasting hundreds of hours trying to stem the tide of incessant bitchery that would never, ever abate so long as these entitled, unfortunate human beings don't get their way.

  13. #13
    Dreadlord Liquidsteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    875
    I feel like you just posted this for a bit of a demo circle jerk.

    If you're doing better as demo on every fight then you simply don't know how to play affliction properly yet. Go research and reforge a bit better if you want to improve.



    Halcyon @ EU Al'Akir is recruiting. Contact me for details.

  14. #14
    @OP if you are at 470ilvl that is part of the case. At that gear level the amount of dps you do in demo or afflic is very similar so whichever you play better you will do more with. As you get higher ilvl (490+) afflic is just plain better. At those gear levels, if two equally skilled players hit stuff the afflic warlock will do more.

    @Phookah-Affliction there is no a after the c.

  15. #15
    Epic! Nyxxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,605
    >100k burst dps at the start of a challenge mode fight and a sustained 65k-70k dps (463 throttled back ilvl) is easily possible as Affliction so imo its still the strongest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crym View Post
    Spoiler: The reason Garrosh is defeated is because, just when he's being attacked, Malchezaar pops out of a portal, yells "yoink!", and takes his weapon away.
    Armory

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC TRIPP View Post
    ^ false. Had a warlock from the top raiding guild on my server observe me at the dummies and he was scratching his head.
    I would too if I saw someone pulling 16k in 464 gear.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaed View Post
    Bah, my demo far out-damages/dps's my affliction spec. My Raid Lead wants me to play afflic, because "all the top locks do" and I just laugh. I top the meters as Demo, why change what works for me? I am ilvl 492 or 493 just started Heroic progression. Last night on Feng I placed 177th lock in the world (so the Raid Lead said, I didn't look myself so can't confirm that) so really if what I love to do works why change it?
    This gets discussed regularly but saying you parsed as demo has nothing to do with the fact of whats good. There are a LOT less people that play demo and so being in the top 200 of a much smaller group is not a huge accomplishment. Now, if you say you pulled 140k on Feng and to rank as AFFI lets say its only 130k (I didnt look it up just going with an idea here) then you can say demo is competitive at least and possibly better. If you start posting parses that beat the top affliction parses you can def say demo is better but ranking only compares what you did against your own spec so thats worthless.

  18. #18
    A few things.. If you want to actually be "better" at affliction you need to understand certain principals that are not an issue with any other class.
    Most DPS classes have a DoT effect that is a dps boost to their sustained and burst dps.
    Warlocks, are the only class that "re-applies" those DoTs before their time expires.
    A few reasons: Each DoT affliction locks have are applied with a "screenshot" of your current stats.
    So when you get a haste proc, or Dark soul, trinket use/proc, Lust/heroism.. that Dot will be applied WITH those stats
    So instead of applying DoTs, haunt, spam Malefic grasp... You actually re-apply those DoTs given certain situations.
    So a "good" warlock will have a way to monitor when those DoTs would be most beneficial to re-apply, or to ignore and keep into rotation.
    A good addon that I use, uses colors.
    So when I Sb/SW.. my DoTs are red.. Into my rotation (procs occur) they would turn green..BEST Procs occur they turn blue. And also have a timer.
    Most Locks don't go that far in depth with their toons. Especially ones who leveled as Demo/ Destro, "affliction is just more complicated to be decent"
    You have to get your Haste break points, consider how much hit > mastery or mastery>hit to reforge. Practicing your rotation to the point of perfection.
    And someone stated "locks in 5 mans would do lower dps" Well that's crap.. Get a soul burn/soul swap macro, (use macro) haunt>MGrasp>Souldrain. You can do that all in about 4 seconds. Also, get a all in one dps macro. the highest burst I have done was on Sha of Fear, and it was 248,000 roughly. Then when cackle went out I left with 178,000. I did this:
    Potion-All in one dps macro (doomguard,darksoul, curse of ele, racial, trinket, eng gloves) Soul burn/ soul swap macro - Haunt - grasp 4 more times during 1st haunt debuff.. Soul burn/ swap macro - Haunt, And maintain that pace. If you have 4750 give or take haste, 12-15% hit and prioritize Mastery (1.5) Intellect(1.0) consider socket bonuses (ignore crit bonus) then there is no reason you shouldn't be decent.

  19. #19
    Mhmm To be honest if i wanna stick with demo. Shouldnt be a problem. I wanna play a class/spec im gonna have more fun with (while still pulling good dps). Im not so utilized into STRICK raiding, Some people take it as serious as havingg sex. Just cuz demo does maybe 30 k less dps then affliction at item level 490. Demon still does good dps and i dont HAVE to play the BEST TOP DPS spec. and if the guild says i should switch to pull more dps. Screw them. I just leave? I dont have the best gear item level 50000000

    BTW thanks for the help specailly prestilence
    Last edited by xXxexpertxXx; 2013-02-21 at 10:13 PM.

  20. #20
    thanks much appreciated!! is askmrrobot very effective?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •