Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Herald of the Titans Khaza-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    2,623
    Its a nice change of pace from the standard fantasy trope. And I've been pleasantly surprised how they've handled it thus far.

    I hate how this world is somewhat like a world in that it had many diverse creatures who seems to be from different areas with different style stuff and things. It's so annoying, why can't they all just have the same stuff and look the same.
    You're absolutely playing the wrong game then. WarCraft is influenced by Warhammer's style of integrating real world cultures into fantasy races. In fact, WarCraft even does it less subtly than Warhammer does.

  2. #42
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i wouldnt say the language is stereotypical since they actually got native chinese voice actors
    It's authentic. And this is coming from someone with 3 years experience in Chinese.
    Human Female Gladiator (DPS Prot) Warrior. Wyrmrest Accord - US.

    "You should only install Warlords on your master hard drive. They will never be slaves." - @CM_Lore

    Better version of my avatar.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Its a nice change of pace from the standard fantasy trope. And I've been pleasantly surprised how they've handled it thus far.



    You're absolutely playing the wrong game then. WarCraft is influenced by Warhammer's style of integrating real world cultures into fantasy races. In fact, WarCraft even does it less subtly than Warhammer does.
    i think he was joking
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  4. #44
    Herald of the Titans Khaza-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    2,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i think he was joking
    Ahh...probably. My sarcasm detection is a little off today.

  5. #45
    Isn't the whole idea of dragons (Aspects) acting as guardians and representing the primal forces of nature an Asian theme? This has been a main pillar of lore in Warcraft for years.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  6. #46
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,419
    There have been Asian influences in WoW since the beginning. My only gripe with MoP's "Asian-ness" is the voice acting seems a little too stereotypical. I don't mind the architecture at all (I actually like it) but I would like it better if the zones had more unique color palettes; they do have their own looks, but they still feel pretty similar for the most part.

    The Sha theme I'm not a big fan of, but of course the entire story of MoP is just beginning so I'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

  7. #47
    Brewmaster Chry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,380
    No because it is overused. If it was here and there, it'd be fine.

    As I've said before, it was foolish to base an expansion around a isolated island. Didn't leave much room for creativity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    One does not "joke" on the internet. Literally, if you make a joke on the internet without saying something like "THIS IS A JOKE:[insert words here]", NOBODY can tell you are joking, since theres only the words being typed- no body language, tone of voice, ect.
    Totally unrelated... I wish people would understand this. Sarcasm does not translate well over the internet.
    Last edited by Chry; 2013-02-22 at 11:55 PM.

  8. #48
    The Lightbringer Raugnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Frogspoison#1419 Battletag
    Posts
    3,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    Because it was just a joke. lol.
    One does not "joke" on the internet. Literally, if you make a joke on the internet without saying something like "THIS IS A JOKE:[insert words here]", NOBODY can tell you are joking, since theres only the words being typed- no body language, tone of voice, ect.

    For instance, your second post on this thread made me, at least, think you were a bigot (because the first response to someone who disagreed with you is "YOU ASIAN SO OF COURSE YOU LIKE IT STFU" {what it came across to me}), ignorant (rather then asking WHY they thought they, it was, well, an ignorant response. "maybe because your asian" when, if you look at his signature, him being Native American is 20x more likely then him being Asian), and, well, not prone to open discussion.

    As for the "chinese" style... Would you prefer it if they were based upon w/e your culture is?
    Anyone ever notice how the sun seems to shine silverish now? Didn't it used to shine goldish? PM me if you've noticed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

  9. #49
    Blademaster Akaviri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Silent Hill
    Posts
    29
    I really do like the Asian style playing in Mists of Pandaria. Especially the music, I just think it's beautiful, and actually pretty calming while trying to get things done. I think Blizzard really outdid themselves with it, so... Yeah. c:

  10. #50
    Moderator Splenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your coffee.
    Posts
    2,994
    I love it, just like I loved Outland.

    I didn't like the dreary Northrend (I do love Howling Fjord), but the nordic mythology poking it's head up here and there was really cool, and I did love that.


    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Trixie for World Domination)
    A (Sensational™)

  11. #51
    The Lightbringer Raugnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Frogspoison#1419 Battletag
    Posts
    3,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    No because it is overused. If it was here and there, it'd be fine.

    As I've said before, it was foolish to base an expansion around a isolated island. Didn't leave much room for creativity.
    Tis a continent, not an island. Theres also a ton of creativity going into Pandaria. Sure, a lot of it is based of Chinese cultures/myths, but then isnt the majority of WoW based off something else?
    Anyone ever notice how the sun seems to shine silverish now? Didn't it used to shine goldish? PM me if you've noticed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Tis a continent, not an island. Theres also a ton of creativity going into Pandaria. Sure, a lot of it is based of Chinese cultures/myths, but then isnt the majority of WoW based off something else?
    Yeah, but chines is chines, it's doesnt appeal for everyone.

  13. #53
    I love it. I think the music and the environments are beautiful, and I think you're mistaken to think that everywhere and everything on Pandaria is "Chinese." I think Blizzard did a fantastic job of tying the Asian inspiration and flavor into the fantasy aesthetic of Warcraft, just like they did with the Nordic-inspired Northerend.

    People have different tastes, though, and people will like and dislike different things. No one is "wrong" to like or dislike aesthetics. However, I think it's a fallacy to argue that Pandaria's design is objectively "good," "bad," "right," or "wrong."
    Last edited by Daetur; 2013-02-23 at 12:10 AM.

  14. #54
    Brewmaster Chry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Tis a continent, not an island. Theres also a ton of creativity going into Pandaria. Sure, a lot of it is based of Chinese cultures/myths, but then isnt the majority of WoW based off something else?
    Yes, but it's never in such a concentrated dose, usually it's more subtle and and mysterious. Something that cannot be said about the endless fields of bamboo housing.

    And fine, isolated continent.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    Well that's maybe because u are an asian?
    im sorry but this has got to be one of the most ignorant things ive read. why do you have to be asian to like an asian setting? im black and i LOVE pandaria. the entire continent is very well done and each zone has some breathtaking areas. i love parking my characters in different spots in each zone. shado pan monastery is one of my favorites as well as the bamboo forest on the edge of valley of the four winds .

    the asian art style is a really nice change but it also feels like it could exist in the warcraft universe.

    im not saying you have to like the asian theme. i understand people dont. but you assuming that someone has to be asian to like it is just ignorant.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I love it. I think the music and the environments are beautiful, and I think you're mistaken to think that everywhere and everything on Pandaria is "Chinese." I think Blizzard did a fantastic job of tying the Asian inspiration and flavor into the fantasy aesthetic of Warcraft, just like they did with the Nordic-inspired Northerend.

    People have different tastes, though, and people will like and dislike different things. No one is "wrong" to like or dislike aesthetics. However, I think it's a fallacy to argue that Pandaria's design is objectively "good," "bad," "right," or "wrong."
    Ah Daetur I love you <3

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    Really? Do you really think that if I dont like chinese style in some video game it affects other aspects of my life? Get real bro. It's not a sign of narrow-mindness if I dont like asian style.
    Sure it is, because you made an entire post based on how you don't like the "Asian Chinese" style.

    If I made one that said, "I don't like the European style of Azeroth," and then when people disagreed with me said, "Do you only like it because you're a European"? I would probably get lambasted to no end. Now if I said I disliked the architecture because it was too gloomy or the ambience of certain zones didn't appeal to me because of the colors or the lighting, that would have made more sense and been a more logical argument then, "Wahh, me no like European style. It doesn't suit the game because I said so."

  18. #58
    Herald of the Titans Khaza-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    2,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    Yes, but it's never in such a concentrated dose, usually it's more subtle and and mysterious. Something that cannot be said about the endless fields of bamboo housing.

    And fine, isolated continent.
    WoW isn't really subtle in any of its borrowing of real world cultures...From architecture to accent, its fairly blatant.

  19. #59
    Brewmaster Chry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    WoW isn't really subtle in any of its borrowing of real world cultures...From architecture to accent, its fairly blatant.
    I disagree. Perhaps I know too much about Asian culture, but I never saw any blatant influences that rival those of Pandaria.

    Would love some examples, though.

  20. #60
    Brewmaster Buxton McGraff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Covina, California
    Posts
    1,463
    I loved it in Guild Wars 1, but I really REALLY hate it in WoW.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •