Help getting into GW2? need halp/advice!

So I know usually the "Should I get into this game?" and such threads are generally looked down upon, but my friend and I are utterly bored and are looking for a new game to play, and like the past, GW2 came to mind.
    We've been wanting to buy/play this game since around Halloween or so. My friend thinks Skyrim is an amazing game, and quote, "If it was an online game, I'd no doubt play it." We're just kind of iffy on MMO's, though. We're afraid we may run into some MMO that's just so boring to level and have absolutely no satisfaction at the end of our leveling journey. For example, we played WoW two months before TBC came out. Loved all of TBC. When WotLK came out, we were... basically entirely bored of it, my friend getting bored right before sunwell came out. he came back during Cata (as I just played casually/once a week) and quit in a matter of a month, just because the whole game feels way too repetitive, and without a guild of 15+ people, we'd... have absolutely nothing to do. Raiding seemed to be the only way to do things. heh.

The two bits of help we're asking for is:
    1] Your opinion,
    Is GW2 a different/unique kind of MMO? In the sense that the graphics/theme/scenery is something new to discover, or are we going to feel like it may be just some generic MMO? Is there a lot to do while leveling or at the end game? (Either PvE or PvP), and to confirm a rumor: I was told for the most part you can play with up to 5 friends and pretty much do just about everything in the game. Is this a lie, or what? Are we going to have to find a guild to play with 20+ people just to get things accomplished?

2] Vidyacard!
    My friends needs to upgrade his video card from a GT250, and he wants to spend 'as little as possible without much hiccups.' He's okay with not having everything on high, but he also wants (ideally) medium to high quality and getting at least 30-45 FPS constant, if not more. Any advice in that area, or should I go to the computer subforum? >_>

Odd topic, odd questions, halp us out!

The best advice I can give anyone about GW2 is to pace yourself. It has no subscription so there is no need to rush through, and the gameplay is exactly the same from level 5 to level 80. So pace yourself and don't get burnt out.

How do you mean it's the exact same gameplay from 5 to 80..?

It has a very unique feel with the familiar remnants of an MMO. I like it because you can really enjoy the entire game with it scaling your level with the current zone. I just jumped into I after being in your position and I am really glad I did.

Also, it's on sale for 39.99 or something this weekend. With no sub fees, why not try it?

Quote Originally Posted by ruuBEN View Post
    He's okay with not having everything on high, but he also wants (ideally) medium to high quality and getting at least 30-45 FPS constant, if not more. Any advice in that area, or should I go to the computer subforum? >_>
    All I gotta say is tell your friend not to expect 45 fps, MAYBE 30 fps, but it's going to depend on his CPU and the settings he uses too of course. I'm in the busiest town in the game right now, just standing still, all settings basically on max, and I'm only getting 35 fps with a i5-3570k and a radeon hd 6870. With medium settings at 45 fps. I've seen over 100 fps in some areas of the world with high settings, so that kinda shows you how much the fps can vary depending on where you are, or how many people are around.

As for upgrading the GPU, he might want to upgrade the CPU instead, but I have no idea what he has. This is where I'd make a post in the computer section with detailed info on his computer, cpu/gpu/mobo/ram/psu. They'll let you know what he should replace and what it should be replaced with.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2013-02-23 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ruuBEN View Post
    you get scaled to the area that you are in. such as, if you are a lvl 30 and in a lvl 15 area, you get dropped to a lvl 15 stats. this makes the game challenging in the aspect that you have to actually "play" the game and not just spam the 1 key in lower areas. which is good imo.

Deleted
    I was told for the most part you can play with up to 5 friends and pretty much do just about everything in the game. Is this a lie, or what? Are we going to have to find a guild to play with 20+ people just to get things accomplished?
    It's true.

Probably he was referring to the fact that you receive the same % of xp regardless if you do a higher or lower level area/quest/craft etc.

He's okay with not having everything on high, but he also wants (ideally) medium to high quality and getting at least 30-45 FPS constant, if not more. Any advice in that area, or should I go to the computer subforum? >_>
    The game looks amazing on high and even med, but you need a pretty good pc to get more than 30 in cities/busy areas.

Is there a lot to do while leveling or at the end game? (Either PvE or PvP)
    PvE: - Fractals ( wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists ) dungeons, events, some world bosses, map completion, jumping puzzles and they will bring some new stuff ( at the end of this month ) related to guilds ( guild activities/events ).
    Leveling: Basically you explore areas, do quests and events or w/e you want. Btw, you get xp from quests, crafting, gathering, doing WvW, doing events, resurrecting, exploring, etc.
    PVP: WvW / SPVP.

Is GW2 a different/unique kind of MMO? In the sense that the graphics/theme/scenery is something new to discover, or are we going to feel like it may be just some generic MMO?
    You should be more specific. A topic with some in-game screenshots is right here: mmo-champion.com/threads/1233182-Landscapes-and-sceneries-Screenshots

Some useful links:

mmo-champion.com/threads/1261816-Offically-thinkiing-of-jumping-on-the-Guild-Wars-2-train
    mmo-champion.com/threads/1258315-Pros-and-cons-about-GW2
    Last edited by mmoc65eb805fe5; 2013-02-23 at 02:23 AM.

i7 3770k, 7950 and busy areas drop me to 45fps on max... I think your friend might have unrealistic expectations.