Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Help! New build issues

I have just assembled my new PC and I connect it to the monitor and I cant get it to go to BIOS. I cant get a picture at all. When I connect it to my TV through my HDMI I get a screen that says 99 in the lower right corner and a space cursor in the top left corner. Any ideas of whats wrong? I have took out all the cords and cables and re-attached them already.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are the system specs? I know we discussed this a while ago when you ordered all the parts but I don't recall... Does the motherboard have HDMI?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $180.00
    MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $60.00
    G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $44.00
    MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card $122.00
    Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply $40.00
    BitFenix Merc Beta Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $40.00

yes it does have HDMI on the MoBo and the graphics card.

Could you connect it DVI instead?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

15+ Year Old Account
    If you have a DVI connector try to use that instead of HDMI. Sometimes HDMI can be weird until things are setup correctly, depending on the BIOS and/or the GPU's drivers.

Is this the first time turning it on, or have you been able to get to BIOS before and are just now encountering the problem?

Also, is the computer making any beeping noises at all once it's turned on? Is it even getting through BIOS at all (usually 1 beep) or is it encountering many beeps and/or none at all?

EDIT: the great eye is ever watching >.> and has quicker typing skillz.
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...

Quote Originally Posted by narzinor View Post
    EDIT: the great eye is ever watching >.> and has quicker typing skillz.
    So fast I missed a word :P
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quick googling gave me this: "After doing all of those things, the MOBO stills post code "99" on the screen and on the MOBO itself. Additionally, keyboard does not work. Furthermore, I cannot access my BIOS or boot screen." -> http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/ar.../t-169186.html and this http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=157806.0

I can't find any other info around code 99 but I don't think your board has an onboard beepspeaker so just make sure your case's beeper is connected on the motherboard. Id bet that the motherboard is just the issue here..

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok here is a update. The picture not showing was due to the MoBo not allowing the VGA or HDMI to work without a intergrated graphics card. My current MoBo and CPU doesnt have a intergrated graphics card. So I plugged it in with a DVI and it works but now its posting the same code of 99. I am starting to think its just the MoBo being defective. I am not able to go into BIOS or even get a POST to load up when the computer is started. Any suggestions?

Deleted
    you aren't plugging into the motherboard instead of the graphics card right?

15+ Year Old Account
    The motherboard might be defective, but just to double check, make sure to check and see if the motherboard is seated correctly inside the case, and isn't being grounded somewhere.

A failed boot that doesn't get passed POST is usually a sign of a failed piece of hardware. Have you tried removing all unnecessary hardware and booting from there?

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 11:39 PM ----------

Seems error code 0x99 from means "Super IO Initialization" which might help solve this.

Taken from the American Megatrends Status Codes PDF

Seems some people have been finding that the board has shorted somehow and once they fix the short, it's either a dead motherboard or it completely fixes the problem.
    Last edited by narzinor; 2013-02-23 at 07:41 AM.
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    you aren't plugging into the motherboard instead of the graphics card right?
    No I am plugging into the graphics card via a DVI cable

The motherboard might be defective, but just to double check, make sure to check and see if the motherboard is seated correctly inside the case, and isn't being grounded somewhere.

A failed boot that doesn't get passed POST is usually a sign of a failed piece of hardware. Have you tried removing all unnecessary hardware and booting from there?
    I have taken the MoBo out of the case and put iti back in already and I am still getting the 99 screen. Yes I have removed all hardware even the ram. Then I put the ram back in and I still get the 99 code. I had it to where the only things on were the MoBo and ram and I was still getting the 99 code.
    Last edited by Beertoe; 2013-02-23 at 08:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hate to say it, but it sounds like the Motherboard might just be defective. :/

I personally cannot think of anything else to try out, and have looked up the error code and still nothing.

I have noticed a trend that MSI boards seem to do this more often than others (almost all of the threads I've found have been MSI related). It might be worthwhile to call MSI's support and see what they know about the issue, and if they have a workaround for it.