Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why doesnt WoW have a tutorial?

Joking aside about how easymode the game has become when it comes to doing quests and leveling why isnt there a decent Tutorial for people who might not know the fastest ways to level or have tons of gold or BoA gear? While waiting for 5.2 to come out I recently went back to Aion since its free to play. They have created an interactive tutorial for both factions and takes you all the way to level 50 to help people like myself who recently came back but might feel overwhelmed by new or changed content. Currently max level is 60 but Im sure by then you will know how to play. It even provides video clips for certain steps showing you how to complete them and also introduces you to dungeons. After completing each step in the tutorial you get various rewards. So why cant the supposed #1 MMO in the world come up with a simple interactive tutorial that helps new players get accustomed to the game? Here it is if anyone cares to check it out:

http://gameguide.na.aiononline.com/aion/atreian/#home

it has a tutorial.
    1-5 IS the Tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    it has a tutorial.
    1-5 IS the Tutorial.
    Which teaches you what about the game?

I guess it doesn't have video tutorials because:

1) It isn't Aion, and
    2) If people have a hard time following the very simple instructions given out in the first handful of quests, then they're idiots.

Why don't LOTRO, SWToR, DCUO, Rift, GW2, and a plethora of other MMORPG's not have video tutorials? Is it because all these MMO's are lesser when compared to Aion? Or is it likely that the very sensible way most of these games start out is enough, and HAS been enough for years?
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

There is a "tips" feature in the UI that can be enabled.
    The leveling process is a tutorial.
    Additionally, there are any number of high-quality websites out there which contain an Encyclopedia's worth of information about WoW.

I'm sure the information you want (fastest way to level, farm gold etc) is out there if you bother to look for it. Anyway, why not play the game and figure it out for yourself? It might actually be fun

the tips page does mention fan based informational websites by name these days too.

The problem isn't so much the instructions in the early quests. One of the main issues I see is that most players do not know what kind of gear to equip, less so in Pandaria since it's class/spec specific, but I still alot of players wearing the wrong gear until that point, eg agility trinkets/staff on a warlock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    What is it exactly that you think deserves a tutorial in wow?
    Choosing to ignore your comment about a reward for completing a possible tutorial, and the part about it being needed for explaining about dungeons.

Did people even look at the tutorial I linked or just making random comments? How can you say something like that wouldnt be good for WoW? We all know most people who actually should be using them dont bother looking at stuff like Noxxic or Elitist Jerks or even this website and the official forums are full of nothing but trolls.

You mean like a game guide? They sell those.

Or like the Internet. That exists.

Also, this:
    Last edited by MatadorMedia; 2013-02-23 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone else remember the early days when you were in awe when you found a person who had actually beaten your favorite game?

When the games were not made to be beaten by everyone who played them?

Back when they just got exponentially harder until they got to insano mode at the end so only the uber finished them completely?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

15+ Year Old Account
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/guide/

They do. They also have much of that information in-game when you start a brand new character. There really isn't much left out except for end-game rotations and all that other stuff. But by that time you'll either encounter helpful players that will teach you things or be directed to websites that have more of that type of information. (Like Official class forums for example).

The new questing experience since Cataclysm is a tutorial of the fastest path for new players. It shuttles you from hub to hub, from zone to zone. It does it all in-game as you are playing it.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-02-23 at 08:09 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Why does everything have to be handed to you on a platter these days?

The best tutorial is to actually play the game and learn through trial and error.

Dang nabbit, back in my day we had to traverse places like Lord Jabu-Jabu's Belly and the Water Temple without a tutorial in sight. /old man voice

The reason there is no tutorial is because World of Warcraft is actually pretty untuative. While there is a lot of complicated aspects of the game you can get involved in, people who will want to, will go ahead and learn about them anyway.

World of Warcraft gives a lot of explanation, support and advice on the tooltips of abilites, stats and much more. Adding a tutorial wouldn't support many newcomers.

Having tutorials never harms people who don't need it, but the lack of can harm those who do.

Better tutorials means better players, and that can only be good for the game.

By today's standard, WoW's treatment of new players is shockingly elitist.

Because everything about wow is overly complicated, inconvenient and bloated, also passable as depth which believe it or not contributed to it's enormous success.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMO's don't need tutorials. The tutorials hurt an MMO more than they help. For instance: I remember when I started playing and I had no clue what the F was going on around the world... But that was definitely the time I enjoyed WoW the most. I remember just running through Elwynn Forest shooting fireballs at stuff. I had no idea what I was supposed to do but I loved it!
    And even so, the point of an MMO is exploration. I don't want the game telling me everything through tutorials, I want it telling me through my personal exploration and errors. Besides, MMO's aren't really hard to figure out. You take quests, you level, you do dungeons and you raid. That's it.
    Anyways, back in the late TBC I basically knew everything there is to know about the game (Not class specific stuff but where a certain item is dropped, most of the quests and stuff) without any kind of tutorial.

So: no MMO should have a tutorial. Life doesn't have a tutorial so neither should a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Everything you need to know? That is if you have enough brainpower to breath on your own... and since you are posting here, I guess you can breath.

Learning as you play is to prefer over a tutorial. You can't include everything in a tutorial anyway.

Deleted
    How many MMO's, aside from asian ones that sometimes have them and don't really teach you anything, have tutorials?