Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why is it everytime I hear of new technology my brain automatically goes into a "How could I use this for Villainry" Mode.

First Bionic Limbs, then Bionic Eyes, now able to control electronics by thought.

Adam Jensen here I come.

Quote Originally Posted by ironik View Post
    *grabs tinfoil hat* So, what I gather from this, is that this is the 'positive' side of voluntary mind control? Not trolling. Totally serious here. Other than that little tidbit of paranoia, sounds pretty damn cool! :-)
    Mylar is what you're looking for.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds interesting lol, But the amount of these weird reports that comes to nothing is quite high, so we will see:P

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    It's all fine and dandy until you accidentally convey some idea or thought that you didn't intend to!

Having a discussion and then just thinking in between "Damn this shit is really dull, I hope it ends soon", except this time the dude would get to "hear" it!
    I think you actually have to silently voice your thoughts for them to transmit. Just thinking about something does not make your throat muscles move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    I think you actually have to silently voice your thoughts for them to transmit. Just thinking about something does not make your throat muscles move.
    That sounds silly, why not just talk through phone then.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    That sounds silly, why not just talk through phone then.
    Think about places where you'd rather be not heard audibly, but still want to talk to someone else. E.g. talking to your GF during a conference meeting at work :P

Kinda playing it fast and loose with "could soon" there.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Kinda playing it fast and loose with "could soon" there.
    Not really. Increasingly, neuroprosthetics are becoming reality.

We now have robotic arms which have been successfully directly controlled by the mind, a new class of prosthetic being developed which will feed sensory information in to the nervous system, and the world's first augmentative neuroprosthetic has been successfully tested in rats - giving rats a new sense, the ability to feel infrared light.

The next decade or two are going to be exciting ones for the Transhumanists in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamless View Post
    Not really. Increasingly, neuroprosthetics are becoming reality.
    Yes really. This is not neural prosthetics that's being described (which defeats the purpose), this is a brain-machine interface using some measure of electroencephalography. Which, don't get me wrong, is great. But telepathy is a whole different ballgame. Whoever wrote the article took the idea from real work being done, and ran with it into sci-fi realms.

Yes really. This is not neural prosthetics that's being described (which defeats the purpose), this is a brain-machine interface using some measure of electroencephalography. Which, don't get me wrong, is great. But telepathy is a whole different ballgame. Whoever wrote the article took the idea from real work being done, and ran with it into sci-fi realms.
    This is a definitional problem you're having.

BMI -is-, by definition, a neuroprosthetic. Whether it's done wirelessly or wired, it is a prosthetic - an artificial device which extends function.

As for telepathy; what is it? It's the transfer of information at a distance without using known sensory channels or physical interaction. This is precisely what wireless BMI is. It's a rather poetic manner of describing it, sure; but it can be seen as telepathy.

Remember; just because something started out as sci-fi doesn't mean it will always be sci-fi. And just because something can be talked about in a fictional sense in one manner doesn't mean a similar phenomenon can't have a real basis to it.

This is a definitional problem you're having.
    No, it's a reading problem that you're experiencing.

BMI -is-, by definition, a neuroprosthetic. Whether it's done wirelessly or wired
    And I said anything about wires, where?

As for telepathy; what is it? It's the transfer of information at a distance without using known sensory channels or physical interaction.
    To another person. You try reading a EEG and tell me what that person is thinking, and then I'll take you seriously.

No, it's a reading problem that you're experiencing.

And I said anything about wires, where?

To another person. You try reading a EEG and tell me what that person is thinking, and then I'll take you seriously.
    Mmmnope, not a reading problem.

"This is not neural prosthetics that's being described (which defeats the purpose), this is a brain-machine interface using some measure of electroencephalography."

BMI is a neuroprosthetic.

I never said you said anything about wires, the 'wirelessly' statement was setting up my next statement.

And regarding telepathy, that is another demonstration of how it's a definitional problem. Telepathy does not mean that someone has to be able to know what someone else is thinking. That would be one aspect of telepathy (and one which remains sci-fi), but that's not the entirety of it.

Your conflation of the whole with a part of the whole is a demonstration of the fact you're having issues with definition.

The ability to think something and have that thought be converted in to instructions for a prosthetic fits the definition of telepathy, and is something which has been done.

BMI is a neuroprosthetic.
    BMI is BMI.

And regarding telepathy, that is another demonstration of how it's a definitional problem. Telepathy does not mean that someone has to be able to know what someone else is thinking.
    Definitional problem in the sense that you want to invent your own definition, maybe. From Oxford Dictionaries:

Definition of telepathy
    noun
    [mass noun]
    the supposed communication of thoughts or ideas by means other than the known senses.

Definition of communication
    noun
    [mass noun] the imparting or exchanging of information by speaking, writing, or using some other medium

If you can't understand the other person, it's not communication.

Your conflation of the whole with a part of the whole is a demonstration of the fact you're having issues with definition.
    And you acting as though not being able to accomplish the essential purpose of telepathy doesn't render it not telepathy, is a demonstration of your complete dishonesty and utter lack of interest in real discussions that's not thinly disguised intellectual masturbation.

What a waste of time to read your posts. Hopefully I won't make that mistake again.

BMI is BMI.

Definitional problem in the sense that you want to invent your own definition, maybe. From Oxford Dictionaries:

Definition of telepathy
    noun
    [mass noun]
    the supposed communication of thoughts or ideas by means other than the known senses.

Definition of communication
    noun
    [mass noun] the imparting or exchanging of information by speaking, writing, or using some other medium

If you can't understand the other person, it's not communication.

And you acting as though not being able to accomplish the essential purpose of telepathy doesn't render it not telepathy, is a demonstration of your complete dishonesty and utter lack of interest in real discussions that's not thinly disguised intellectual masturbation.

What a waste of time to read your posts. Hopefully I won't make that mistake again.
    Your first statement of identity is an attempt to not recognize an error. You're right, BMI is BMI. An apple is an apple. An apple is also a fruit. BMI is a prosthetic.

And your copy-pasting from the OED actually directly supports my point. The communication of thoughts or ideas by means outside the known senses. There is no known sense which translates 'move this robotic arm' to a robotic arm and makes it move.

You've homed in on 'idea's and ignored 'thoughts.'

This fully accomplishes the essential purpose of telepathy. Your attempts to assert my dishonesty while also citing a source which demonstrates my accuracy is amusing.

Um, first off, telepathy is the transferring of information between minds. Secondly, it can't be using anything else than "magic". If we were to develop a system that works very similar to telepathy, it wouldn't be telepathy.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance