Poll: Have Public Forums Made You A Smarter Person?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    ...I never read, had a poor vocabulary and my understanding of general concepts was lacking.
    In London, we have a term that means all those things at once...Chelsea fan

OT I've learnt some things, and have passed on some knowledge as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    In London, we have a term that means all those things at once...Chelsea fan

OT I've learnt some things, and have passed on some knowledge as well.
    haha, don't anger my inner hooligan. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't really call is marter, but you can read many things on forums that you would normally never stumble upon. So it definetely can broaden your knowledge about what goes on in the world. (if you go to the right forums)

Just thought I would point out I don't mean this forum in particular.

Any public forum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    I wouldn't really call is marter,

No, neither would i.

before someone flames me, im only kidding. i understand it was a simple mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably made me dumber.

Deleted
    lolwut /10chars

Of course. People who think they haven't been made a smarter person probably don't want to admit that they have learned anything from a public forum.

I guess maybe they might consider 'smart' to mean something more along the lines of the way they think and how easily they learn, because in that case I would have voted no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many dumb people say random dumb crap in a public forum... no, forums didn't make me "smarter."

mmo champion forums certainly not.

Smarter? No. 9/10 "argumentative" posts are flame baits, and the 1/10 that is actually legit is ignored, because accepting truth would kill a thread.

What I have found out is that there are extremely many stupid people, so relative to people on the forums, I've discovered that I'm smarter than I thought I was. It's something.

Deleted
    Not really. My intelligence is already capped.

Maybe a little (you pick up weird bits of esoteric knowledge there), but the tradeoff is being far less productive.

Deleted
    More informed on certain things and helped me improve my english? Yes. Smarter? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes definitely. And these forums too, lots of smart people on them. Course there's some who aren't so smart, but they can still make you think. I'm surprised so many say no, actually...

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I have certainly learned a lot from the forums and consider my words much more carefully but I would not say it has made me any smarter than I was prior. One of the most important skills I've picked up from the forums is censoring my thoughts into statements that convey my thoughts without conveying any overt hostility I may feel towards certain people. I also force myself to type properly (grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc...) more often thanks to my time spent on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    NO. Imo these forums will never make anyone smarter...
    Lots of better things to do if u want to get smarter than read the thoughts of random anonymous ppl

Deleted
    yes I could barely read or write still cant but ALOT better xD
    but yeh life is crazy Ive learn alot about other cultures and to get along with some even if we dont agree on stuff

Internet sure has, forums? lol NO, all you find in forums is wanna be smart ass nerds that think they know everything about everything...

I suppose personally there are a ton of technical forums on the internet that are a great source of learning. I have picked up java and C++ for some fun and have found public forums to be invaluable in my education. If you are explicitly speaking of MMO-Champion, I would say no. While some discussion on here can be stimulating, you have to wade through a lot of horrible political or philosophical talking points and an unimaginable amount of logical fallacies. That being said, while foreign languages are something that I have an unfortunate amount of trouble with, I do think it is cool to see how progressed non-native English speakers pick up on English using forums.