Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I need help choosing a basic graphic card for wow (SOLVED).

Quote Originally Posted by 666pluto View Post
    UPDATE
    about a week ago, i bought HD7770 (second hand, only 4 month used & nearly half price) & upgraded the PSU.
    game works just fine at 1680*1050 on medium settings.
    maybe in the future i will update the CPU as well, since there are a few glitches here & there, just waiting for a good second hand deal like i did with the GPU.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

current rig:
    Intel CPU G640 2.80GHz
    Asrock H71M-DGS
    4GB Ram
    500GB SATAII HDD
    onboard graphic card
    crappy generic power suplly

resulotion is 1680*1050, looking for medium settings, with no fps drops in raids and crowded places.
    instead of giving a budget, which won't do good since prices in Israel are 20-40% higher compared to abroad, i ask you this:

what is the minimal graphic card i should buy which answers my requirements? of course I'm looking for a low budget one, question is, how low should i go?
    Last edited by 666pluto; 2013-03-15 at 01:30 PM.

Well your going to get drops in fps in crowded areas and raids with any card, wow is just coded that way, and your cpu is prob cause more issues than a gpu. WoW is very cpu intensive. A 7850 is ok and you can get one for about $150 in the US, and maybe a 660 on the nvidia side for around the same price.

Something like a GTX 650 or a Radeon 7770/7750 should be well enough for medium settings, however you current CPU is pretty weak and it will limit the performance when it comes to raids and crowded places.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    Well your going to get drops in fps in crowded areas and raids with any card, wow is just coded that way, and your cpu is prob cause more issues than a gpu. WoW is very cpu intensive. A 7850 is ok and you can get one for about $150 in the US, and maybe a 660 on the nvidia side for around the same price.
    7850 costs 250$ here. if you look at my rig, i think all of it cost me just a little over 250$, so this GPU will be an overkill for it!
    I'm not going to play on a 1080 resolution nor I'm looking for high settings! all I'm looking for is medium-low settings on 1680X1050 with minimal fps drops...

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Something like a GTX 650 or a Radeon 7770/7750 should be well enough for medium settings, however you current CPU is pretty weak and it will limit the performance when it comes to raids and crowded places.
    7750 costs 130$ here, it's the budget i have in mind, plus more suited for this low rig.

Since when did wow become such a power hungry game? I know it won't be the best rig out there, but on the other hand it's not that old & settings aim isn't high at all. will it basically be unplayable or it's just some minor issues I won't mind?

Deleted
    look for a secondhand 5770 Should be good enough for medium settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    GeForce Titan should do the trick easily, only about a $1000 dollars. Seriously, I don't know what your price range is. However, you can get a GeForce 660 or a 660Ti in the $200 area. I also agree though, that WoW is mostly related to the CPU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Noahsmith37 View Post
    GeForce Titan should do the trick easily, only about a $1000 dollars. Seriously, I don't know what your price range is. However, you can get a GeForce 660 or a 660Ti in the $200 area. I also agree though, that WoW is mostly related to the CPU.
    Guessing you missed this:
    7750 costs 130$ here, it's the budget i have in mind, plus more suited for this low rig.
    Try to find an HD 7770, if possible the GHz edition. Haggle for a minor rebate if you can and/or feel like it might work. If it means missing out on your morning coffee for a week to pay the difference between a 7770 and a 7750, it is worth it.

related question; Does anyone know if a gt640 is decent? I currently have a hd7450.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudal View Post
    related question; Does anyone know if a gt640 is decent? I currently have a hd7450.
    For DVD/Bluray playback, yes. For gaming, no.

Since when did wow become such a power hungry game? I know it won't be the best rig out there, but on the other hand it's not that old & settings aim isn't high at all. will it basically be unplayable or it's just some minor issues I won't mind?
    If you can find a gtx650 at the same price than the 7750, I'd suggest going with the gtx650, it's basically the same performace of the 7750, but it runs a little cooler which is always fine...

Do not expect to max every setting, but you can have decent graphics and playable fps...

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    look for a secondhand 5770 Should be good enough for medium settings.
    it takes more power compared to the 7750, meaning i will have to upgrade the power supply as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Noahsmith37 View Post
    like i said, where i live prices are way higher compared to abroad. for example, while the 7850 costs 150$ in the USA, in Israel is costs 250$! so no point of giving a budget. that's why i asked, and i quote,
    what is the minimal graphic card i should buy which answers my requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Guessing you missed this:
    Try to find an HD 7770, if possible the GHz edition. Haggle for a minor rebate if you can and/or feel like it might work. If it means missing out on your morning coffee for a week to pay the difference between a 7770 and a 7750, it is worth it.
    I can afford the difference between the two, but I'm leaning towards the 7750 since it's lot power requirements, meaning I can stay with the current power supply without much of a worry. is the difference between the two makes that much of a difference?

Maybe i should have stated this earlier, but in terms of budget I can afford a high gaming rig with no problem. but the only game I will be playing is wow & we are talking about a few hours a week. So it's not worth it for me to put a lot of money on this, just aiming for a few hours really of a playable & fun wow gaming here & there, on medium to low settings (1680*1050) without lagging like shit in raids...

saying this, should i go for the 7750, expecting it to run the above requirments or 7770+ is a must?
    Last edited by 666pluto; 2013-02-23 at 05:19 PM.

A 7750 will run the game on low, at low FPS. Especially LFR will be a painful experience. Although that is as much attributable to the CPU as to the GPU. Think of it this way: the CPU dictates the lowest FPS amount, the GPU the maximum FPS amount.

Personally, I wouldn't go below a 7770 for gaming.

What is the wattage and maximum output of the PSU? Can you take a photograph of the label with the 3.3V, 5V, 12V ratings on it, upload the photo to imgur and then link it in this thread? Then we can tell you what will and what will not work with your PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    A 7750 will run the game on low, at low FPS. Especially LFR will be a painful experience. Although that is as much attributable to the CPU as to the GPU. Think of it this way: the CPU dictates the lowest FPS amount, the GPU the maximum FPS amount.

Personally, I wouldn't go below a 7770 for gaming.

What is the wattage and maximum output of the PSU? Can you take a photograph of the label with the 3.3V, 5V, 12V ratings on it, upload the photo to imgur and then link it in this thread? Then we can tell you what will and what will not work with your PSU.
    I see. I looked at the power supply, no need for photo, it's crap :-).
    so this is what i have in mind now: HD7770+new PSU, along with the G640 I already have.
    before i buy this, Will this setup run wow at 1680*1050 medium settings with no fps lags in raids & crowded cities?
    If the answer is no, I will probably skip the game for now. for 5-7 hours/week of gaming, it's not worth it for me to buy an entirely new rig (lack of time because of work & university).

7770 or 7850 I would recommend. Beyond that, there isn't much you can do. WoW is fairly CPU intensive, actually. So quite a bit of your FPS numbers will be affected by the poor quality CPU.

That said, if all you want are medium settings, it's fine. When I mean affected by the poor CPU, it would be like 80fps instead of 150fps or something. Which isn't really relevant to you getting a baseline smooth performance.

UPDATE
    about a week ago, i bought HD7770 (second hand, only 4 month used & nearly half price) & upgraded the PSU.
    maybe in the future i will update the CPU as well, since there are a few glitches here & there, just waiting for a good second hand deal like i did with the GPU.

thanks for helping

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    UPDATE

thanks for helping
    good to hear bud
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    medium settings? my HD7770 ghz edition runs WoW on ultra with an average FPS of 80, and the lowest i've seen the fps go is 42 fps. and that was during a LFR raid.

Quote Originally Posted by slimj091 View Post
    medium settings? my HD7770 ghz edition runs WoW on ultra with an average FPS of 80, and the lowest i've seen the fps go is 42 fps. and that was during a LFR raid.
    Resolution?

Good to hear you got your stuff running 666pluto!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slimj091 View Post
    what cpu do you use? and ultra including shadows, aa, liquid detail and sunshafts on highest settings?

I know it isn't 1080p, because I sometimes drop below 30 in LFR or while raiding 25 man. Probably something like 768.