Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    I see nothing wrong with staying with parents indefinitely. The reason to move out would be for 'personal space and development' ... but having a strong sense of family and bond is a good thing.

When my daughter grows up, there will be no 'push' for her to move out. She could stay with us her whole life if she chooses; though unless the guy or girl she falls in love with is tolerable, I might not find sticking to that conviction quite as easy

I think some cultures are rushing kids out on their own far too early. 18 is no where near as mature as an 18 thinks they are. Mid to late 20s is when I feel people, besides exceptions, become closer to the level of critical thinking needed to survive alone. The time from 18 to when they leave should be the start of the real life lessons from the parents. They should be focused on furthering education and learning the value of a dollar and paying bills.

I'll probably give an option; work and pay some bills, or volunteer time somewhere, like animal shelters. I'd prefer she further her intelligence and volunteer her time than work and pay bills until about 22ish (about the time to get a 4 year degree ). At that point, strong push for getting an income and supporting the household in various ways would be a goal; unless they are working towards an 8-10 year masters/doctorate (ex: vetinary/human medicine).

The way I see it, give them love and support. Teach them what they need to survive. Don't push them away for the sake of it. Hell, when I get old and frail, I'd prefer they have a strong bond with me, and rather me stay with them and help out around their house, than throw me in an old folk's home to rot because I kicked them out lol

Ofc, nothing goes as planned, and she could move out at 18; and I'd be fine with that as well, though discourage it somewhat.

Why do people feel if 18 isn't old enough to drink responsibly, it is old enough to die for a country or take on the huge responsibility of living alone and acquiring debt and starting the life long responsibility of large monthly bills for the rest of their life?

If I can provide, I will. I brought her into the world, she is my responsibility, and I'm proud to do my loving job as a father. It isn't a rush to 18 to get her out, if all I wanted was for her to leave, I would have had second thoughts about having her in the first place; which I didn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    Snip
    I... really don't have a rebuttal for this. I'll fully admit that it's a perspective I've never considered. My childhood was ... quite different to say the least. If you make good on following through with everything you've said while managing to prevent her from being overly sheltered... then more power to you. I really don't know what else to say. She's a lucky girl.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 22 and still live with my mum and younger sister. I want to move out but can't, not earning enough. Going to Uni too so can't really get more hours.

I don't think it's to bad, one of my dads best friends still lives with his mum, and he's quite wealthy. He's an architect or home designer...I'm not sure what, something to do with houses. He's probably around 50 or so now, and probably not unrelated, has never been married. I think staying at home while you find your feet in life is fine, no matter how long that takes. But once you start getting passed 30 that is pushing it a little really

Kinda the opposite for me. My parents moved out, to live on their property and my sister and I began renting the house. This worked until I got tired of putting up with her crap, and moved into a rental house split with friends. Didn't realize how huge of slobs they were or how poorly the house was built.

Then my dad passed. Mom had been retired for a few years, so no job and survivor's benefits from the military = garbage. So I moved back home (at a hike in my rent and living expenses) to help keep her from losing the house. That worked for a little bit, until the whole dual expectation of family and renter (family when it's convenient, renter when it's convenient) bit kicked in.

Moved out with a friend I was able to trust into an apartment along with my wife. Hoo boy. Didn't realize how much those sucked. Kicked it there for three years, but got tired of the bs and them raising the rent constantly (rent was over 1100/mo for 2 bdrm, which was high at the time for the area, utilities not included.)

So me and the friend go looking for a house to buy and split the equity after a few years. Right in the peak of the housing market bubble. Stupid idea. Although his dad managed to top it by deciding to build a house for him on a plot of land right next to some train tracks. Helped with the construction of that in exchange for cheap rent. Would've been a bit of alright if his dad hadn't decided that he'd build it like a triplex. Back to the problems with apartments.

Time passes. Friend finds a girl he likes (first girlfriend at 30) asks me to move out, despite the fact that he can't afford the rent (yes, $1000 rent from his parents, we split that) on his own. *insert your favorite wtf.jpg here* I tell him no, since it didn't fit my plans at the time, as I was paying down my credit card debt I'd racked up while I still had cheap rent. In the midst of all this, we somehow acquired one of his girlfriend's friends who'd been kicked out of her old place and had no job. Laziest bitch I ever laid eyes on, and a complete drain on all of us, financially and mentally. Between her, and my friend considering having a kid with his girl, I started looking for a place of my own.

One $200,000 FHA loan later, here I am. 5 bedroom house, my wife, three cats, and all the peace and quiet I want. Still wish I'd gotten rid of the credit card debt first though. Being a PITA to get down after my wife lost her job.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I'm 22 and still live with my mum and younger sister. I want to move out but can't, not earning enough. Going to Uni too so can't really get more hours.

I don't think it's to bad, one of my dads best friends still lives with his mum, and he's quite wealthy. He's an architect or home designer...I'm not sure what, something to do with houses. He's probably around 50 or so now, and probably not unrelated, has never been married. I think staying at home while you find your feet in life is fine, no matter how long that takes. But once you start getting passed 30 that is pushing it a little really
    Heh... I didn't earn enough to move out UNTIL i went to Uni...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Heh... I didn't earn enough to move out UNTIL i went to Uni...
    You're a wizard Cattaclysmic!

Seriously no idea how you did that lol. If I had enough I'd move out!

I can't get student loans though, my family is paying for my first two years and I have to save up enough from now to then to pay for my third.

10+ Year Old Account
    Left the country at 18 for college.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    You're a wizard Cattaclysmic!

Seriously no idea how you did that lol. If I had enough I'd move out!

I can't get student loans though, my family is paying for my first two years and I have to save up enough from now to then to pay for my third.
    Student loans

If needed, the student may supplement this with a student loan of 2,897 DKK (about USD 491) that has to be repaid when the student has completed his or her education. Thus a student will normally receive about 67,944 DKK (about USD 11,514) a year in grants with an optional 34,764 DKK (about USD 5,891) in loans, making a total of 102,708 DKK (about USD 17,405).
    The governmentally granted SU loans have to be repaid once a student has graduated. However, any part of the loan that has not been repaid after 15 years does not have to be repaid.
    This is how i do it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student...versity_grants

And also note that I study Medicine - which means i get an extra year of free monies \o/

Edit: Student loans aren't used for tuition here as it is free. So it is basically just for living expenses - and sometimes books.

I moved out at 18 for college. But I moved back with them for 3 months after college, until I found a decent job and place to live and been there ever since (the place I moved to I mean).

Deleted
    I was 18 for a full 3 days before I was out of there. I love my parents, make no mistake, but back then I was ready to slay them and hide the remains in the garden.

I think I was 19 or 20. I moved out two months after getting a job, so it was smooth sailing for me.

Lol, I remember that feeling when I moved out. "I can do whatever I want!" so I started boiling potatoes at 3 in the morning.

22 the first time. Had to move back twice after that and I just moved to my own place again (@ 25 years old). The reason why young adults stay at home so long where I live is almost exclusively because it's very hard to get a rental contract here. You are looking at 3 years in queue for the easiest and 5 years+ for areas around the city core.

I ran away at 14 or 15 to escape from my dad. I lived with random friends until I turned 17 and started renting my own place.

Thirteen years later, I'm paying for my own house without an ounce of post-high school education to my name. Industrial labor pays good money.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

24, living with mommy, have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science and currently employed.

No debts, I'm saving up for buying a home of my own. Moving out is overrated unless you have a big need to do so due to distance to work/uni or major problems at home. Those things are okay, other than that I think it's better to be smart and save up for the future especially if you are young.
    I also don't drive.

21, still living at home and going to a local University. Miami.

Average rent for a shitty studio apartment in the ass end of town here is over $1000/mo. No way I'm dumping all that money into a rat infested piss hole unsuitably named an apartment.