Graphics card for my notebook?

So I've been playing WoW since the end of Wrath. The whole time on minimal graphical settings because until now I've been able to get by on the crappy stock graphics card. I came across a graphics card at a second hand shop a was wondering how I could rig it up. I will provide my system specs as well as those of the graphics card. All I need to know is what I'll need to hook it up. I would much rather get a whole new system but I cannot so please don't suggest that I do.

System:
    HP Pavilion dv6 notebook
    Intel core 2 duo cpu t6500 @2.10GHz
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family Graphics

I believe the card is a Radeon HD 5450
    Below is a pic of the card. If more info is needed let me know.
    http://imgur.com/lzo002I
    Last edited by CelticShaman; 2013-02-23 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Grammar.
    I play all heal specs. Shaman is the best. Would be better if I could be Worgen. But thanks to allied races, I'll settle for Earthen.

You can't. You cannot install desktop graphics cards in laptop computers.

Technically you could do it with a PCI-E enclosure connected via Thunderbolt, but that would cost you a lot more than that graphics card did, even if you had a Thunderbolt connector on the laptop, which you won't.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-02-23 at 08:04 PM.

That GPU is for a tower/desktop PC, there is no way you can fit that into a laptop. I'm fairly sure that there is no way at all you can change the GPU on your laptop since cheap HP models like that usually doesn't support it.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I play all heal specs. Shaman is the best. Would be better if I could be Worgen. But thanks to allied races, I'll settle for Earthen.

Deleted
    You can't change it, notebook GPU's are chips soldered to the motherboard. (as far as i know)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosendo View Post
    Did you even read that article? You are forced to buy a bunch of stuff like a tower PSU, you have to use an external monitor and you get less than optimal perfomance from it.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Did you even read that article? You are forced to buy a bunch of stuff like a tower PSU, you have to use an external monitor and you get less than optimal perfomance from it.
    I have a few monitors laying around, and its still cheaper than a new system. Again, I'd love a whole new system but I got to work with what I have.

I have a few monitors laying around, and its still cheaper than a new system. Again, I'd love a whole new system but I got to work with what I have.
    Well it is your choice but I certainly wouldn't do it.

Final caveat, this thing can be a major pain in the *** to get set up. It is not plug and play, with many (most) laptops requiring custom boot disks to handle memory and pci allocations issues that prevent the setup from functioning until taken care of. Fortunately, just today NBR member nando4 released a new bootdisk package that introduces some much-needed ease to the configuration process.
    You will be spending a bunch of money on something that you have no guarantee that it will work.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-23 at 08:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    it's not worth investing money into that laptop. it's so old as it is. start saving for a new system
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Well its either that or no more WoW. A new pc of any kind is not in my budget, period.

Well its either that or no more WoW. A new pc of any kind is not in my budget, period.
    If you don't have the means to save up for a new PC I don't see how you think spending $130 on something that might not even work is a good idea.

Yea you can upgrade the cpu to one with better intergrated graphics. Here's the manual for your notebook: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252.pdf. Scroll down to about page 10 and you'll see a list of processors you can use.

I'm just upgrading my HP G6 from an E2-3000m APU, which as a Radeon HD 6380G, to a A8-3520M Quad-Core with a Radeon HD 6620G.

EDIT: Not so easy to change the processor though. You have to take your notebook to pieces.
    Last edited by whywhatwhowhenhow; 2013-02-23 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsmon View Post
    Yea you can upgrade the cpu to one with better intergrated graphics. Here's the manual for your notebook: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252.pdf. Scroll down to about page 10 and you'll see a list of processors you can use.

I'm just upgrading my HP G6 from an E2-3000m APU, which as a Radeon HD 6380G, to a A8-3520M Quad-Core with a Radeon HD 6620G.
    he's got an intel chipset...it aint gonna take an amd cpu. didn't check his notebook, but most of em don't allow cpu upgrades and those that do bring their own set of issues from the heatsink, to bios support, to unrated heat.

i do agree tho, the amd trinity is an awesome chip.

If you have a spare SATA HDD lying around, you can build yourself a new barebones system for $250-300. Is that abortion of external GPU idea going to be cheaper than that?