Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Scratched Eyeball

Has any of you ever scratched your eyeball?

I did.. Like two days ago. I was chasing my puppy and got caught by a tree branch. Went to the ER. They did all their tests n what not. Dyed it, looked at in under a black-light..

Now what I thought was really cool (despite all the pain I was in).. The Dr. says to me, "I'd like to try something pretty nifty here, if you don't mind?"

I'm like.. "Ooookay" So he takes this handheld black-light like with a magnifier in the middle, then he whips out his Iphone, positions it, and snaps a picture. Then proceeds to show me exactly what happened. I see my eyeball, and from the looks of it I have a triangle shaped divit right below my pupil. And its glowing some eerie yellow/green glow. So he tells me that this picture will go into my chart, so they don't have to describe what happened, but just see it. And possibly help out someone who has had something of the same, happen to them.

The one thing I regret.. Not giving him my Cell# so he could send me the picture. lol

Anything like this ever happen to you?
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Deleted
    Well.. not exactly. I have on the other hand forgot that I had just handled chili when I was gonna rub my eye. It was rather unpleasant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, yeah. 2 weeks ago, I woke up with a red and swollen eye. I couldn't understand why I had that, so I went to my doctor. He did blacklight, dyed and lots of crazy stuff and it turned out that the medicaments i am taking actually started to dissolve my eye. He gave me some cream to rub my eye in with(yeah, you heard it right. rubbing one's eye in with cream is VERY difficult as I can't get myself to touch my eyeballs. fingers aren't supposed to be there!) and it was fine after a few days. good for me - the eyes are the stuff in one's body that regenerate the quickest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Well.. not exactly. I have on the other hand forgot that I had just handled chili when I was gonna rub my eye. It was rather unpleasant.
    Ouch, I know that had to sting.

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seiken3 View Post
    the eyes are the stuff in one's body that regenerate the quickest
    Yeah, I was afriad it would take weeks before I was back to normal, but the Drs. were talking on a scale of days. Which I'm thankful for.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    I've had this happen a few times when I was drunk.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

I smacked myself in the eye with a headset cord when flying one day. Bloodied my eye socket up and had blurry vision for the next 2-3 days. Luckily not scratched. They did the dye in my eye also but had a mirror so I could see my glowing eye.

Anyway to fix the scratch in your eye? Does it heal over time or will it always be there?

Yeah I've have a few corneal abrasions. I wear contacts and I don't always take them off or put on a new pair as often as I should. All it takes is one stray piece of dirt, an eyelash, sometimes even a rip in the contact itself and you'll have yourself a very painful cut in your eye which can last 1-4 days depending on how bad it is. Fun stuff =3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    I smacked myself in the eye with a headset cord when flying one day. Bloodied my eye socket up and had blurry vision for the next 2-3 days. Luckily not scratched. They did the dye in my eye also but had a mirror so I could see my glowing eye.

Anyway to fix the scratch in your eye? Does it heal over time or will it always be there?
    I'm told that it'll heal up in a matter of days, maybe a full week to be back to completely normal. But other than that, I'm told it's serious, just, well it could've been a lot worse. lol I guess I was really close to poking a hole in my actual eye.. (good thing it's just a scratch)

(And thank you for your concern)

I once maced myself....yes it was as dumb as it sounds.

I wanted to test my girlfriend's mace out to see if it was still working after 3 years in a closet, so I took it and sprayed it out of the window, and I guess some residual was blown back on my hand and fingers by the wind, even though I was pointing it downward.

So then I actually rinsed my hands off too, but I guess not thoroughly enough. Because when I rubbed my eyes a few minutes after, my whole face went numb for a bit and eyes hurt like hell. Can't imagine what the raw product feels like if I felt like that after a diluted hit.

Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    Corneal abrasions heal on their own most of the time and usually very quickly. A cloth soaked in hot water and held over the eye seems to really speed up the healing as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Corneal abrasions heal on their own most of the time and usually very quickly. A cloth soaked in hot water and held over the eye seems to really speed up the healing as well.
    Now if I do that, do I hold it over my open eye? Or close it first? (prolly a pretty stupid question)

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Now if I do that, do I hold it over my open eye? Or close it first? (prolly a pretty stupid question)
    Close it. The less you're blinking the easier it'll be for your eye to heal the washcloth not only helps to heal your eye either, it also soothes

I actually had a pretty bad abrasion a few months ago. I'd use a scarf or whatever would fit best around my head to hold the washcloth in place when I went to bed. Also helped to keep my eye closed (I sleep with my eyes open =3).
    Last edited by Ifeanychukwu; 2013-02-23 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiken3 View Post
    good for me - the eyes are the stuff in one's body that regenerate the quickest

This organ would like a word with you. Also the skin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did it in High School. Windy day, tons of dirt flying around. Lots got in my eye and it ended up getting a scratch on it. Just felt like I had an eyelash stuck in my eye for a couple days. At the ER they gave me a patch, but I refused to wear it. I was in High School, after all, and image was everything. Add on to that that I was the most disliked kid in school already (not hyperbole) I don't think they needed anything else to pick on me about.

Only took a couple/few days to get better. Just keep your eye closed as much as possible.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Did it in High School. Windy day, tons of dirt flying around. Lots got in my eye and it ended up getting a scratch on it. Just felt like I had an eyelash stuck in my eye for a couple days. At the ER they gave me a patch, but I refused to wear it. I was in High School, after all, and image was everything. Add on to that that I was the most disliked kid in school already (not hyperbole) I don't think they needed anything else to pick on me about.

Only took a couple/few days to get better. Just keep your eye closed as much as possible.
    Now see, they didn't give me a patch at all.. My mother had asked about it, and one of the nurses said, she thinks that they don't do the patch thing anymore. But yeah one thing they said, was try not to use it as much as possible.

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 02:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Close it. The less you're blinking the easier it'll be for your eye to heal the washcloth not only helps to heal your eye either, it also soothes

I actually had a pretty bad abrasion a few months ago. I'd use a scarf or whatever would fit best around my head to hold the washcloth in place when I went to bed. Also helped to keep my eye closed (I sleep with my eyes open =3).
    Thank you.. I will have to give this a try. It's also my right eye, so being right-handed it's hard to keep my right one closed and my left open. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Got a small splinter in my eye once. Managed to fish it out without too much trouble, but it had already scratched the surface of the eyeball which was pretty painful and it got infected. Basically agony to open and close my eye. Had to go to the docs for antibiotics and get some sterile eye baths then keep it bandaged closed.
    Best bit was it was my good eye (have a lot of problems with one of my eyes and the vision is absolutely terrible in that eye), and was around the time I was supposed to be finishing up A level coursework. Couldn't read anything. Fortunately I managed to get extensions for the CW deadlines.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Got a small splinter in my eye once. Managed to fish it out without too much trouble, but it had already scratched the surface of the eyeball which was pretty painful and it got infected. Basically agony to open and close my eye. Had to go to the docs for antibiotics and get some sterile eye baths then keep it bandaged closed.
    Best bit was it was my good eye (have a lot of problems with one of my eyes and the vision is absolutely terrible in that eye), and was around the time I was supposed to be finishing up A level coursework. Couldn't read anything. Fortunately I managed to get extensions for the CW deadlines.

Ouch! Seems to me you got it a lil worse than I did.. Sorry to hear that.. And glad they gave you an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Thank you.. I will have to give this a try. It's also my right eye, so being right-handed it's hard to keep my right one closed and my left open. lol
    Mhmm it was my right eye too. It was hell waiting for it to heal but the washcloth will reduce the irritation to almost nothing until you start blinking with that eye again so the more you can keep it closed the better. Try to keep the washcloth warm too, just a little more pleasant =3

When I was a kid playing with snowballs with my friends, one of them accidentally threw a piece of ice. And, as bad luck goes, it came right to my eye. After that - I saw some stars, and then black out in that eye. It didn't hurt, but I was scared shitless because I couldn't see through that eye. Just blackness. And I couldn't move it either. When I got back home, it looked like a zombie eye. The pupil was looking down-left, and I couldn't move it. The eye was kinda "down" (don't know how to explain this English).

So like I said, it didn't hurt at all, but my eye was disabled. I was afraid that it would just come out of there eventually Went to the hospital, but since it was evening on the weekends, all they could do is just use some liquid on the eye. After that - a month of eye droppings, and the most horrifying thing - injections... Those things always got to me - seeing how a needle gets closer and closer to your eye...

After all of this, I can see through my eye again, it looks a TINY bit deformed compared to my other eye, but you can't notice it if you don't look too long at my eyes. And there is, of course, a scar at the back, and the side of my eye now.

When I was about six years old, I was playing outside and fell in the grass. When I stood up, I somehow got an earwig in my eye, half of its pincher-end was lodged up into my eyelid and my dad had to pick it out with tweezers. It scratched my eye a little but nothing that would blind me forever.

It was the scariest thing seeing this giant bug-outline in my vision when I opened my eye!