Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Why 6 instead of 4? I actually think 4 is better than 6. Then again, I don't think 6 is really all that great. Just curious if there's a reason you'd have him skip 4.
    I just think FFVI better embodies what a Final Fantasy Game is, as far as the older games are concerned. The plot is easier to follow and on a bigger scale, and the characters are all (imo) likeable. Though FFIV would not be a bad start either, especially if he plays the Nintendo DS version.

The only FF game I like is 7. But that doesn't say much since I played it when I was 15, thought 8 was abysmal and quit the franchise there.

Wauh, thanks for all the great replies
    I got my hands on a snes emulator and i've decided to start with FFVI and continue upwards throughout the series, if i like it. Seeing as that i have neither a PS 1 or FFVII or FFVIII i was wondering if it is possible to digitally purchase these, or do i have to go the dark corners of the internet -snip-?

Let's keep a lid on suggesting the "P" word! --Sj
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-02-23 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post
    I got my hands on a snes emulator and i've decided to start with FFVI and continue upwards throughout the series, if i like it. Seeing as that i have neither a PS 1 or FFVII or FFVIII i was wondering if it is possible to digitally purchase these, or do i have to go the dark corners of the internet -snip-?

I'm not sure but aren't some of these titles available on PSN? I don't own a PS3 though.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFVII and FFVIII were both released for the PC, but are pretty expensive now that they're rare. I'll leave it at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thes
    I'm not sure but aren't some of these titles available on PSN? I don't own a PS3 though.
    A good suggestion! I've not checked that either, but I'm sure they have some of the games there.

Do not start with anything other than FFVI (3 US). It is singlehandedly the best Final Fantasy ever made. The people that tell you 7 onwards are the best to start out with never played 6. 7-10 are great as well but Once you go 3d you get sidetracked with visual versus story. And Kefka > sephiroth any day.

Deleted

You can purchase a digital PC version of FF7 from SE's online store. If you have a PS3 you can purchase at least the PS1 games on PSN, I'm not sure if the PS2 ones are available as well.

Why noone mentions FF XII? It is closest to classic feeling. FF 7-10 are quite good, but they kept going away from classic FF feeling, and FF 12 was come back to classic, which for some reason wasn't liked by many people, who were used to tunnels of FF 10 (no offense to FF10, I liked it too, but it was extremely linear, whole game is just one big tunnel). Every FF 1-6 is ok too if you are not too much distracted by older graphic engines.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say to start with numero uno. The original NES version though. It'll make you want to throw things at times, but it sets up the iconic themes and styles that made the games what they are today.

If you're in it just for story, then IV and VI are the best for story imo.
    Battle systems for X and XII are the best.
    The job system for V was my favorite of those.

Also -- while not quite a numbered title, and not even the same genre really, but FF Tactics is a great game to play if you're in to turn based strategy. Has an amazing story, and is very very well done. (If you like that one, the Ogre Battle series is also made by mostly the same team; Tactics Ogre being my favorite).
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...

While I liked the gameplay of FFX, I really disliked half of the characters and Tidus was just out-right obnoxious. Not to mention the awful dub and writing that went with the whole thing.

I'd far prefer to recommend starting with something like either FFIX, FFVII, FFVI, FFIV or FFXII.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend 8 10 or 12 as a starting point. Those were the ones I enjoyed the most. 13 is ok but he whole first disk drags on forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say start with 9, you just cant go wrong with this game, its simply amazing and has a fantastic story and battle system.

In my opinion the graphics are still really good if thats a worry for you.

It's also very easily emulated, feel free to PM me if you want a patched perfect working emulator to run it (just downloading it comes with a few graphic and audio issues)

Deleted
    7 simple as that, the best of them all

6(or 3 depending on if you follow the us or japanese numbering) > 7 > 10 > tactics in that order, I think those really introduce you to what the final fantasy universe has to offer.
    Last edited by Deal; 2013-02-24 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenko View Post
    i'd say start with 10. its old by todays standards, but not as ancient as 7 or the other ones. My personal favorite was 9 but thats harder to find nowadays
    I was super surprised when my girlfriend at the time managed to find a brand new copy of FF9 for me for christmas a few years back (PAL format no less), still in its plastic wrapping even.

I would personally advise FF3 or FF4 on the DS if you have one as they have been updated graphically but are still mostly the same as their originals, and you can then progress through the series.
    For the quality of the games, the SNES and PS1 eras were imo the best.

Start with 10 and if you can stomach that move on to the good ones of 6, 7, 8 and tactics.

Playing 7 or 8 on an emulator means you can pump up the resolution which helps alot btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy VI, in my opinion, was the best one.
    Each character has a good back story, the story is great, each character has a job class(Kinda like back when you you only had x amount of characters and x amount of job classes to apply to them. FF5 is an example of job classes).
    After that I'd say FF7 then FF9(If you call out the Save Moogle a bunch of times there's an 'easter egg' in there where he gets really mad at you and is like "I'm sharpening my knife, kupo" No seriously, it does that, no lies.), FF10 and then FF8(If you can brave NEVER having money in the game).

Oh, don't forget Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. It's a very linear game, and extremely easy, but if you're never played a turn-based RPG it's a good intro game.

10+ Year Old Account
    GameTrailers.com has a pretty good Retrospective that covers each core Final Fantasy game with minimal spoilers, if you have a hard time deciding. Any current fans should give it a watch, too! So much nostalgia. <3

Edit: Ha, okay so I maybe lied. Some of them are pretty spoiler heavy.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2013-02-24 at 01:05 AM.

Probably ff7 if you want my opinion