Inquiry About "Thunderforged"

Pretty simple thread, I've been away from the game for a few months, and was wondering what this new (in 5.2) "Thunderforged" designation for weapons is and how to obtain it. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Any thunderforged item is simply obtained by being lucky. Whenever you kill a boss, there's a chance at getting a thunderforged version of the item to drop, instead of a normal version.
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

Non-tier items that drop from bosses have a small chance in 10m normal/heroic raids and a somewhat higher chance in 25m normal/heroic raids to drop "thunderforged" items, which are 6 ilvls higher than their regular counterparts.

Thunderforged items are just items with higher item level (they're basicly just better versions of their normal / heroic counter parts)

This means we'll have FIVE item level niveaus in 5.2.

LFR
    Normal
    Normal thunderforged
    Heroic
    Heroic thunderforged

we dont have item upgrades in 5.2, so i guess this is sort of a different way of doing it.

25 raids have higher chance of getting a thunder forged item to drop than a 10 man raid.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

An item designated as "Thunderforged" will be 6 ilvls higher than it's regular counterpart, similar to what Protectors drop on hard mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    we dont have item upgrades in 5.2, so i guess this is sort of a different way of doing it.
    Not really that much of a different way of doing it, seeing as item upgrades will be back in 5.3 (a non-raid patch, similar to 5.1)
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's rng in rng )

Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post
    Not really that much of a different way of doing it, seeing as item upgrades will be back in 5.3 (a non-raid patch, similar to 5.1)
    Sure, but the only loot that were higher than normal loot were the loot from protectors. This is loot from all bosses afaik.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"

10+ Year Old Account
    541 Item Level... so when Upgrades come back I can turn it to 549.

Koreans will be at 558... This stat scaling is insane!

Thanks for all of the replies guys! Guess the RNG is becoming even more RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    541 Item Level... so when Upgrades come back I can turn it to 549.

Koreans will be at 558... This stat scaling is insane!
    Well, it seems like it. I realise how items scale and all, but this is just boosting the rate at which it does with an un nesecarry amount.

Just to emphasize one point, currently Blizzard has said only non-tier pieces will have the chance to be Thunderforged.

Overall it's an attempt to make non-tier pieces more viable, make killing farm bosses a little more rewarding, and the drop rate is supposed to be higher on 25m to try and encourage some to try out that mode of raiding.

I already raid 25m so I'm just happy for the perk. Of course, I expect it to cause far more QQ than to actually get anyone to switch over.

Edit: As for the people complaining about RNG, I have to disagree on the condition/assumption that Blizzard does not balance raids around an assumed number of TF drops. If you want to make a BiS list that includes all possible TF drops and aim for that, go ahead, but it sounds unlikely that you'll get it. I just take what upgrades I see as they come. I find setting sights on a BiS set and then complaining about not getting certain loot drops only negatively affects the experience. TF gear will just be a nice perk if I get one.
    Last edited by ZakAtack; 2013-02-24 at 07:39 AM.

Blizzard hasn't confirmed for sure (as far as I've seen that) that upgrading gear with VP will be back in 5.3.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Quote Originally Posted by MordorFires View Post
    Just to emphasize one point, currently Blizzard has said only non-tier pieces will have the chance to be Thunderforged.

Overall it's an attempt to make non-tier pieces more viable, make killing farm bosses a little more rewarding, and the drop rate is supposed to be higher on 25m to try and encourage some to try out that mode of raiding.

I already raid 25m so I'm just happy for the perk. Of course, I expect it to cause far more QQ than to actually get anyone to switch over.
    I certainly wouldn't consider switching over because of the thunderforged system.... it's pure RNG, and that means I'll completely ignore it in all my calculations, and if I happen to stumble across one, I'll deal with it then.

(For the same reason, I won't QQ about it.... it honestly doesn't matter to me either way. So long as I can access everything in 10-man, I'm fine with the system as is.)

not quite accurate to say the RnG has become more RnG,

more like the RnG has an RnG module attached.

Thunderforged is just a little treat that sometimes drops, like finding a rare item in a dungeon satchel. In no way are bosses going to be tuned around these items, so rng is irrelevant, if you get some, it's nice, but they are not required at all.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..