Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
LastLast
  1. #81
    Stood in the Fire Machomaije's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norway, Bergen
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    Have you tried finding something else to do to chill? Imagine you stopped playing - what would happen?
    I am perfectly healthy. Plays football at a competetive level and go to the gym daily. Thats what WoW sometimes fuck with, makes me not go to the gym etc.

  2. #82
    Herald of the Titans Lilija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Częstochowa Poland
    Posts
    2,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Machomaije View Post
    I am perfectly healthy. Plays football at a competetive level and go to the gym daily. Thats what WoW sometimes fuck with, makes me not go to the gym etc.
    But then why do play something you "rarely have any fun with anymore"?

    And well it's not really an addiction. Million things can sometimes make you not go somewhere - for example extremly not having the mood to go somewhere.

  3. #83
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    all over the world
    Posts
    2,411
    i believe its only an addiction if you allow it to take priority over serious life situations. if you fail to pay bills because you bought a game, or bought a new console then its probably an addiction. if you consistently avoid your family members and friends for extended periods of time because youre playing a game its probably an addiction. my family too looks at me weird because im 29 and i still enjoy playing video games but i dont let it consume my life. its just a hobby for me. what i do with my 1-4 hours of free time a day shouldnt really be looked at any differently because im playing a video game. its really not any different than say putting a puzzle together, or knitting a sweat. i dont see the problem

  4. #84
    Herald of the Titans Lilija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Częstochowa Poland
    Posts
    2,528
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    if you fail to pay bills because you bought a game, or bought a new console then its probably an addiction.
    Or maybe you're not the most smart person when it comes to money? Happens to some people.

    if you consistently avoid your family members and friends for extended periods of time because youre playing a game its probably an addiction.
    Or maybe you have some other reason you want to avoid interaction with them? This surely implicates some problem - really a lot of possibilities to chose from.

  5. #85
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    159
    Depends of how you view it. For a long time (about 12 years old to 15 years old) I played WoW all day long. Not doing anything else. I had like 3 or 4 friends. My life was basically going to school, then WoW. Was it an addiction? Maybe, but I sure loved playing WoW. I found it fun, entertaining, and I preferred playing than hanging out with friends or going to parties.
    Over the time my hobbies, what I like etc. have changed. I don't really play games anymore.
    But, I'm training like crazy for football. My life now is similar to my life then. I go to school, then 4 days out of 7 I go to the gym for 2 hours, then I train my ability to catch the ball for about an hour, then I come home and do my homework. The 3 days when I don't go to the gym, I do sprints and drills for 2 hours, then train wih the ball for 1 hour again. Is it an addiction? No, it's my passion. I love football as much as I loved WoW.

  6. #86
    Dreadlord Knightmare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    803
    I think "addiction" is a pretty strong word when it comes to gaming. I think people can play games on level that others would see as addicted, but still manage to successfully manage real life at the same time.

    In my case, gaming is a hobby and a passion. I play games (or do game related things) a lot, it's what I do with most of my free time, but only my free time. I understand and am capable of prioritizing more important things over gaming.
    Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.

    Thank you Shyama for the awesome signature!

  7. #87
    If gambling can be classified as a potential addiction, I see no reason why gaming can't.

    Older article, but an interesting read.

    http://www.peele.net/lib/gambling.php
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  8. #88
    Neither. It's a hobby like any other. you invest your time and money in it, and while what you have may not have much material value to the rest of the world it has value to you.

    I don't buy into the whole addiction thing, obsession maybe, but not addiction. I'll buy into addiction when we have people giving blowjobs behind game stop for time cards and we have to have step down drugs to help people handle withdrawal symptoms.

    Gross irresponsibility is not addiction.

  9. #89
    Scarab Lord ringpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Front Range Free Zone
    Posts
    4,448
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    I love gaming. I been gaming ever since I was a kid and I don't see myself stopping any time soon. But my family looks at it like it's an addiction and you are grown up why you still playing blah blah. They don't realise what gaming is now days and how people feel about it. Yes, I have tried explaining this to them but my folks are the type that don't believe in what they don't know.

    So what do you guys think? What do you gamers see yourself as? Does your family and friends understand this?

    Gaming in general does not have to be an addiction, but I think too many modern games, from Farmville to WoW, are specifically designed to be addictive, while shedding the 'good' parts of gaming because they're too much work.

  10. #90
    Scarab Lord -Zait-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Supervillain Club: The Dreaming
    Posts
    4,869
    Quote Originally Posted by forwards1ca View Post
    You're putting your own expectations and beliefs onto something. Callign someone obsessed and lazy when they might be suffering from an addiction is ignorant. I bet if ypu talked to most Wow players who would fall under the medical definition of addicted, they would say that they need to playway more now than they did when they first started.

    I can guarantee that there are people out there who experience physical withdrawal symptos when they try to quit WoW. I am one of them

    There are a ton of people who experience both physical and psychological harm from being addicted to WoW. Belittling them and calling them lazy or unorganized is ignorant and hilights your lack of understanding ont he topic. By your definition, people addicted to crack who experience either are just too lazy or unorganized to use crack in a better way.

    Same arguement for the next point you try to make. You're projecting your value system into something you don't understand. Try thinking before you speak.

    Again, same arguement.

    You state that there are no "effects", but you conveniently ignore the first half of the question. "Does the patient spend significant time obtaining or thinking about the drug"? Again, if you talk to any player who would be considered addicted by the proper criteria, I can guarantee you they think about the game all the time. And they spend significant amounts of time "obtaining" (logged into) the game.

    As for your last point, I agree with a part of it. WoW CAN BE a very social. But, if you're ignoring other social,occupational or recreational activities to play WoW, then this criteria is apt. Example - you call in sick to work to play the new expansion, you miss football practice because ou want to get home and raid, or you cancel goign out with your friends to do RBG's. These are just a few examples.

    All in all, your arguements show a shocking lack of understanding into addictions. I suggest you think about thigs and get some real education before spouting off these type if ignorant remarks.

    The real problem is that addiction is not well understoon by general society, and that lack of understanding causes a great deal of controversy. People don't see how a video game can be addicting, but it is based on the reward system. WoW is so addicting for the very same reason that slot machines are addicting. They operate onthe inconsistent-intermittent reward system which has been proven by a crapton of research to be the most addicting reward system out there.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 09:56 AM ----------



    This statement just shows how ignorant and biased you are on the subject. Please, do us all a favor and go learn about the subject before posting inflammatory comments like this. The criteria do not stem from hysical withdrawals. Thats why physical withdrawals have their own category. And you clearly don't understand how "hard"" drugs work, because if you did, you'd realize that many "hard drugs" are so addictive becasue of how that alter brain chemistry - usually by boosting a specific neurotransmitter, generally seretonin or dopamine. There are many activities that do the same thing naturally, and can be addictive. Sports, gaming, gambling, just about anything can be addicting. It really depends on how it affects the person. And I find it funny that you use "hard drugs" in your arguement, as if they're the only thing that someoen can be addicted to. Heres a list of things that are considered addivtions that have nothign to do with "hard drugs": gambling,alcohol, chocolate, food, sports, running, sex, watching tv, etc.
    I am not being ignorant. I am not biased. I played WoW for many years and stopped with some trouble. There is no research out there that proves that video game "addiction" is a thing. Saying that you're "addicted" to something makes it a medical issue, it makes you the victim. All thing things you listed at the end of what you said "gambling,alcohol, chocolate, food, sports, running, sex, watching tv, etc. " with the exception of alcohol since it is a hard chemical, does not give physical withdrawal and so, by your own definition you showed me, isn't considered an addiction.

    I am not belittling or minimizing someone's obsession to a video game, lets say WoW since you brought it up and it's a good example. You gave an example of missing football practice to go play the new expansion's raid. That shows having screwed up priorities and unorganized time. You aren't going to go play WoW because you're addicted, you're going to play WoW because you love the game and want to play with your internet friends rather than interact with IRL people. If you have a "mental withdrawal" it's purely psychosomatic and can be taken care of with some self discipline. Also, no by my definition someone who is addicted to crack has a problem and needs serious help in rehab or what have you.

    I am not saying that people's obsession with something like video games, like gambling, etc can't be bad for them, but it's not as if they need to detox their body like alcohol addicts, or drug addicts do. And to be quite honest, trying to label yourself as a victim of "video game addiction" is an insult to actual addicts who have destroyed their bodies and minds with hard drugs or something of that nature.

    I am not insulting or belittling you or anyone that has a serious obsession with video games. All I'm saying is that there is a significant difference from obsession and addiction. People who are obsessed with something can get over it through self discipline or finding a new passion or something else to take their mind off it. For me, that was exercising, a lot since playing WoW 24/7 is kind of unhealthy. I really really really wanted to play the game again but I didn't wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweats, or have the shakes like an actual drug addict might. Now addiction on the other hand, would be someone who was hooked on a physical substance that fucked with the chemicals in their brain. It did physical damage to them. "Obsessions" only give you extra of whatever chemical is in your brain (my knowledge of brain chemistry isn't stellar so forgive me that I don't know the chemicals you get for exercising or gambling etc) and when you stop you miss what ever extra chemical you get. It's all in your head, where as people with addictions to alcohol, hard drugs, cigarettes, etc have to detox their bodies and deal with not only their fucked up brain chemistry slowly fixing itself, but the extra chemicals their brain secretes from taking said chemicals.

    Again, I am not insulting, belittling, or minimizing someone's obsession to a game, or art, or exercise, or whatever. It can be bad and it can screw with your priorities. But it does not physically stop you. Someone deciding to sit on their computer chair and play more WoW rather than go out or do something as simple as eating is on them, they chose to do that and they can choose to not play, but they don't because they get lazy. While an addict chooses to snort cocaine because of all the reasons I said in the previous paragraph about brain chemistry.

  11. #91
    The Patient
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    I am not being ignorant. I am not biased. I played WoW for many years and stopped with some trouble. There is no research out there that proves that video game "addiction" is a thing. Saying that you're "addicted" to something makes it a medical issue, it makes you the victim. All thing things you listed at the end of what you said "gambling,alcohol, chocolate, food, sports, running, sex, watching tv, etc. " with the exception of alcohol since it is a hard chemical, does not give physical withdrawal and so, by your own definition you showed me, isn't considered an addiction.

    I am not belittling or minimizing someone's obsession to a video game, lets say WoW since you brought it up and it's a good example. You gave an example of missing football practice to go play the new expansion's raid. That shows having screwed up priorities and unorganized time. You aren't going to go play WoW because you're addicted, you're going to play WoW because you love the game and want to play with your internet friends rather than interact with IRL people. If you have a "mental withdrawal" it's purely psychosomatic and can be taken care of with some self discipline. Also, no by my definition someone who is addicted to crack has a problem and needs serious help in rehab or what have you.

    I am not saying that people's obsession with something like video games, like gambling, etc can't be bad for them, but it's not as if they need to detox their body like alcohol addicts, or drug addicts do. And to be quite honest, trying to label yourself as a victim of "video game addiction" is an insult to actual addicts who have destroyed their bodies and minds with hard drugs or something of that nature.

    I am not insulting or belittling you or anyone that has a serious obsession with video games. All I'm saying is that there is a significant difference from obsession and addiction. People who are obsessed with something can get over it through self discipline or finding a new passion or something else to take their mind off it. For me, that was exercising, a lot since playing WoW 24/7 is kind of unhealthy. I really really really wanted to play the game again but I didn't wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweats, or have the shakes like an actual drug addict might. Now addiction on the other hand, would be someone who was hooked on a physical substance that fucked with the chemicals in their brain. It did physical damage to them. "Obsessions" only give you extra of whatever chemical is in your brain (my knowledge of brain chemistry isn't stellar so forgive me that I don't know the chemicals you get for exercising or gambling etc) and when you stop you miss what ever extra chemical you get. It's all in your head, where as people with addictions to alcohol, hard drugs, cigarettes, etc have to detox their bodies and deal with not only their fucked up brain chemistry slowly fixing itself, but the extra chemicals their brain secretes from taking said chemicals.

    Again, I am not insulting, belittling, or minimizing someone's obsession to a game, or art, or exercise, or whatever. It can be bad and it can screw with your priorities. But it does not physically stop you. Someone deciding to sit on their computer chair and play more WoW rather than go out or do something as simple as eating is on them, they chose to do that and they can choose to not play, but they don't because they get lazy. While an addict chooses to snort cocaine because of all the reasons I said in the previous paragraph about brain chemistry.
    You just don;t get it, do you? Either you're just dense, or you're intentionally refusing to see the truth. Whether there are physical withdrawal symptoms is one of 7 psooible criteria for a diagnosis, and DOES NOT have to be present for a diagnosis. It's quite funny how you lack the understanding to see the problem, and keep putting your own value system onto the problem. You use words like "Lazy, psychosomatic, self discipline" to try anfd prove your point, and all you're doing is pointing out your lack of understanding. Opinions liek yours (and what you're saying is pure opinion and conjecture, you have absolutely zero facts to support your position) are why addictions are so poorly understood by the general populace. I challenge you to go to a Gamblers anonymous meeting in your area to go see how these peopel have ruined their lives. And so hear some of them talk abotu the physical withdrawal symptoms some of them have experienced when they tried to quit playing - anything to headaches, the shakes, vomiting, irritability, etc.

    YOu just don't get it, and I am starting to think you are never going to get it. Whether this is intentional, you're trying to troll, or you're just being an ass is unclear. What is clear is that you have a gross misunderstanding of addiction, and your claims of what addiction are just plain false. Go to the link i posted on page 1, read the medical definition and criteria for addiction, think about it for a couple days, then come and rejoin the discussion when you can back up what you say with some facts.

  12. #92
    Zait, you can absolutely be addicted to gaming. You're looking at definitions that are all relating to substance addiction. A gaming addiction is a behavioural addiction and applies to compulsions that are not substance related, such as shopping, sex addiction, gambling, and gaming. The individual in question has a recurring compulsion to engage in the activity, despite the potentially harmful consequences to their individual health, mental state, social life, etc. And I refer you to the 18 year old kid that died after playing Diablo for 40 hours straight or this boy that was hospitalised after playing CoD for 4-5 days straight, leaving his room only to snack or use the bathroom.

    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...straight-days/

    Gaming addiction is a real thing.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 03:17 PM ----------

    And yes I know its not medically recognised at this time.

  13. #93
    Pit Lord HBpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newport Mesa, Ca
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    I love gaming. I been gaming ever since I was a kid and I don't see myself stopping any time soon. But my family looks at it like it's an addiction and you are grown up why you still playing blah blah. They don't realise what gaming is now days and how people feel about it. Yes, I have tried explaining this to them but my folks are the type that don't believe in what they don't know.

    So what do you guys think? What do you gamers see yourself as? Does your family and friends understand this?
    If you enjoy it and it isn't stopping you from getting the things done IRL that you need to then I don't see any real issue. I don't really play video games much at all anymore. I still like/love video games but my tastes are too specific to really consider myself a gamer. I'm married and my wife doesn't fuss about how I spend my free time.
    Atheist, anti-theist, pro-gun, pro-Constitution, anti-racism, pro-gay rights, anti-war, anti-corporatism.

  14. #94
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Thereabouts
    Posts
    993
    Edit: oops. Wrong page. OT anyways: It could swing both ways. Really depends on how you use it/treat it, like anything else.

  15. #95
    People that called me addicted to gaming i call mindless zombies, because it's okay for them to sit in front of the for 2-3 hours a day watching utter crap like.. The Block, The Voice, My Kitchen Rules, Master Chef.. and so much other crap.

    So if i find playing a game for those 2-3 hours, that actually requires my input and my brain to work more than pushing a remote button to change the channel, i will bloody well do it.

    I don't see anyone telling people off for reading books, really what's the bloody difference. The fact is computer gaming has always been targeted by overreacting people that have absolutely no freaking idea what gaming is or is about.

    As long as gaming doesn't become compulsive and doesn't interfere with life in general, it's by definition not an addiction.
    There's a hell of a difference between a little A-hole kid who wants everything and screams till he gets it, to going out and blowing someone for a copy of halo.


    p.s. if anyone tells you your addicted to gaming tell them to piss off back to facebook or their reality tv shows with all the other sheep in society .

  16. #96
    Scarab Lord -Zait-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Supervillain Club: The Dreaming
    Posts
    4,869
    Quote Originally Posted by forwards1ca View Post
    You just don;t get it, do you? Either you're just dense, or you're intentionally refusing to see the truth. Whether there are physical withdrawal symptoms is one of 7 psooible criteria for a diagnosis, and DOES NOT have to be present for a diagnosis. It's quite funny how you lack the understanding to see the problem, and keep putting your own value system onto the problem. You use words like "Lazy, psychosomatic, self discipline" to try anfd prove your point, and all you're doing is pointing out your lack of understanding. Opinions liek yours (and what you're saying is pure opinion and conjecture, you have absolutely zero facts to support your position) are why addictions are so poorly understood by the general populace. I challenge you to go to a Gamblers anonymous meeting in your area to go see how these peopel have ruined their lives. And so hear some of them talk abotu the physical withdrawal symptoms some of them have experienced when they tried to quit playing - anything to headaches, the shakes, vomiting, irritability, etc.

    YOu just don't get it, and I am starting to think you are never going to get it. Whether this is intentional, you're trying to troll, or you're just being an ass is unclear. What is clear is that you have a gross misunderstanding of addiction, and your claims of what addiction are just plain false. Go to the link i posted on page 1, read the medical definition and criteria for addiction, think about it for a couple days, then come and rejoin the discussion when you can back up what you say with some facts.
    You really really really like insulting people you don't agree with, haha. Well I'm going to pull out of this thread, I feel like if I keep responding to people I'm going to derail the thread. (x

  17. #97
    A bit of both, I guess?

    I dont usually put off IRL stuff due to gaming, unless something "really good" is going on in-game that I'm really excited/hyped about. Sometimes I get a bit too excited about in-game stuff, though, but I'm quite quick at realizing it... resulting in me "cooling down" for a few days and doing more IRL things.

    I do go to the gym quite often and socialize during weekends. Luckily enough all my IRL friends are gamers to some extent so "hanging out" during weekends can either be a drunken LAN-party or going out clubbing. It all depends on what we feel like doing :P

    I dont really intend on ever stopping playing games as long as my friends dont. It's a great way of spending time and it's not like it's too un-social either as I'm always on Skype/TS with IRL-friends or ex-guildies from different parts of the world.

  18. #98
    I am Murloc! Grading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Senkai
    Posts
    5,331
    Gaming is only an addiction when you let it come in the way of important things in life. That is, unless it's your job, then it would be more normal.

    Parents or grown-ups in general aren't used to video games yet. Maybe the younger generations of grown-ups and parents (if that makes sense), but the older ones, most definitely not, unless they are extremely open-minded.

    Gaming is already starting to become commonplace, and eventually, even they will start to get used to the idea of video games.

  19. #99
    In the end it depends on the person. Someone can be addicted to food (becoming obese), or simply eat in order to nurture himself for survival. Food on its own doesn't have a label on it.

  20. #100
    passion simply no,passion is used to describe much more meaningfull things

    gaming is entertainment,much like watching movies

    if you spent 1/5 of your life in front of a screen,if it ever affected negatevily your real life,then it's addiction,if you play when there is nothing else available,no problem,if you say no to friends so you can raid,it's addiction
    The constructive troll!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •