Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Unless you are taking a sci-fi leap
    Yes, I am, sorry if that wasn't clear. I was simply trying to explain a concept, i.e. that of making a self-aware machine (which would be the same as that "perfect cloning", except that the blueprint and the materials used would be something different).

What algorithm makes you learn?
    Our brain would be that algorithm. We receive inputs via our senses and then something happens inside our brain according to the natural laws. "Something happens" is the algorithm (sorry if that sounds dumb, I don't have the English skills and patience to come up with better formulations). This algorithm is also constantly evolving/growing. I'm not sure though if that would still fit the common definition of "algorithm" and "programming". Better terms could be "function" and "configuration". I don't particularly care about the semantics though.

Humans have the nearly same programming, but result in unique conclusions.
    They don't result in unique conclusions as far as I'm concerned. Two different humans (i.e. differently programmed, though similar) have probably two different reactions. But if you make two perfect clones (as detailed earlier) and put them in two identical rooms, they will show exactly the same behavior.

You would have to have two robots be aware of their nearly identical composition, but have two entirely different views of them selfs. In essence, the robot would have to be designed flawed and the flaw must be different between each robot.
    You don't have to design them "flawed" (or "randomly different from but similar to each other") because they will have different life experiences (unless you do it like in the paragraph above, which doesn't make them different from us self-aware humans).

I hope I made sense .

Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post

They don't result in unique conclusions as far as I'm concerned. Two different humans (i.e. differently programmed, though similar) have probably two different reactions. But if you make two perfect clones (as detailed earlier) and put them in two identical rooms, they will show exactly the same behavior.
    Until this is proven I will retain my right to disagree

But, it's not immediate or simple like that. The results are both effected by your biology and environment. It's developed, not turned on.
    That remark was in response to the person I responded too, but I agree with you otherwise.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    Until this is proven I will retain my right to disagree
    I don't see why, but it isn't really relevant to the discussion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post

Why does it need to store everything?
    Because currently they do, and Humans will have to do a lot more than just make a powerful computer. It's a lot more complicated than say deleting that file and this file. In a biological brain, entire memories of data are altered or just disregarded because its clearly worthless. For example, if a machine has a memory, it records every single color, contrast, and pixel in that memory. Extremely wasteful. A biological brain purges all of that and summarizes.

This is pretty cool. They're already asking each other about God.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    We know we exist
    Do we really?
    http://i5.minus.com/iT9gBOC94PbmU.jpg
    NON SINE DIIS ANIMOSUS INFANS
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
    This is pretty cool. They're already asking each other about God.

Me: What do you eat?

Cleverbot: Food

Me: What kind of food?

Cleverbot: Good food

Me: What kind of good food?

Cleverbot: Really good food

Me: What kind of really good food?

Cleverbot: Really really good food

Me: What kind of really really good food?

Cleverbot: A good kind.

The feeling of being self aware is impossible for a machine to accomplish.
    Can they adapt and change to things around them based from a source code? Sure.
    Last edited by Rorillane; 2013-02-24 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    We know we exist therefore we are self aware IE: I think therefore I am
    thats flawed logic unless you believe in jesus i guess. it'd be more accurate to say "I exist, therefore I was."

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    thats flawed logic unless you believe in jesus i guess. it'd be more accurate to say "I exist, therefore I was."
    I see nothing wrong with it, if you can ask yourself the question "Do I exist?" you'll already have gotten your answer.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.