When is it worth it to research Rare Cuts?

What price should the ore/gems be over just selling them raw? I feel like the rare gems are really awkward in making money and never have been since we always had means to get a variety of cuts.
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

Jc this xpac is unusual. Uncut gems still somehow go for more than most cuts. I think perfect cuts kinda made blue gems worth a lot less. It's a profit loss to create meta gems unless you're very lucky with procs. Imo, don't bother doing the research.

Depends on your servers market, I only do research with Spirits, because I don't have anything else to use them for. I think they nerfed the proc rate of perfect gems a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridgidaire View Post
    Depends on your servers market, I only do research with Spirits, because I don't have anything else to use them for. I think they nerfed the proc rate of perfect gems a while back.
    SoH vendor has some decent things to trade them for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adsertif View Post
    What price should the ore/gems be over just selling them raw? I feel like the rare gems are really awkward in making money and never have been since we always had means to get a variety of cuts.
    1. All servers are different. Price of ore v gems is dictated by the market and your knowledge of whats in demand. Ore can be better for BS and still has the chance of prospecting, but otherws will wnat the styff readily prospected. Look at your ah, sell both and see how they fare. They both have pros and cons.

2. Your last sentence makes no sense at all. Raw gems for a long time have been greatly in demand becayse of their use for research. Study your AH and avoid making cuts for those selling for less than the raw gem but consider selling cut gems where they fetch more than a raw gem. Adjust according to how they sell.

Rare cuts are worth researching and most JCs ensure they have every cut to give them flexibility. Gems and soh are so cheap these days its only a fraction of the expense it was at the beginning of MOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridgidaire View Post
    I noticed this as well, as it sometimes takes almost a full stack of uncommons to proc one perfect. It's almost to the point that I'm going to have to use my xmute alchemist to start making gems to do the research.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

Gems are cheap, Golden Lotus is cheap, so I never saw any reason to not do research and have had all cuts for a few months now. Just buy/create the cheapest rare gems and use those for research (probably yellow, blue and green ones).

I'd say researching gems are always beneficial due to the fact that you can sell a "finished" product. It's also dependant on how many gems are available to you via prospecting (I'm guessing you'd rather farm your own gems/ore over buying raw gems). Do your research into the gems and check prices/profit. Theres always the option to sell your services of cutting gems.

Wow...

Research always... The gems I get out if jade and onyx always tends to sell more than their raw gems...

Blue gems might be expensive to buy outright or to even prospect ore en masse, but if you have an alch (or an xmute alch to make it even better) then you're all set, on my server most green uncut gems go for 2-8 gold or so, you can grow your own golden lotus on a daily basis or buy them from the AH in bulk, and then you'll be up to your ass in gems. As for making money from them, well, you still can, especially when new content (like 5.2) goes live and people need gems for their new stuff.