Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Too Late to swap Mains?

    Just wondering what everyones opinion on swapping mains is this "late" into the expansion. I originally was playing my Warrior with some people I used to play with but they all stopped playing. I am now setting up a group with some IRL friends and most of them are just reaching 90. I had wanted to raid on the warrior but our other tank is a Paladin so I am looking into swapping to my Druid which is 90 also but not nearly as geared as my Warrior. I'm thinking an Agility tank and a Plate tank is the way to go, Agility Leather is the most common type of gear in the game with 7 specs that use it vs 3 for tank plate. Since Blizzard scales gear drops based upon the number of specs that can use a certain piece Agility Leather should be most common and therefore its nigh on beneficial to have 2 Agility Leather wearers in a 10m group. At least that's my thinking, I like both characters and do not mind swapping to my Druid.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokudu View Post
    Since Blizzard scales gear drops based upon the number of specs that can use a certain piece Agility Leather should be most common and therefore its nigh on beneficial to have 2 Agility Leather wearers in a 10m group.
    Granted i took a huge break from the game, and i only came back 3 weeks ago sicne Mop launch so I am a bit confused on the changes that have occured since cata, I am pretty sure knowing Blizzard that cannot be true.

    Imo just play what you prefer. I never experienced any problems gearing up both my tank and dps specc as a DK, I don't see why you would have one. Granted certain pieces might be harder to obtain, maybe 1hander, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to do your job with a less-than-bis item for some time
    Last edited by elegorn; 2013-02-24 at 01:27 PM.

  3. #3
    Now is the best time, considering that upcoming patch is basically a gear reset for everyone (except for raiders that are decked in full heroic gear).

  4. #4
    It's never too late. If some of your raiders are fresh 90s, that's all the more reason to make the switch now. Also, with the coming of patch 5.2, the drop chance for the LFR raid gear is greatly increased, so you will lose the handicap of being undergeared in no time.

  5. #5
    Who ever told you that drops scale by number of users was completely wrong.


    Gearing a new character if you are able to raid on him isn't too bad, but it feels annoying because he will be behind your "main" in upgrades and probably in legendary progress.

  6. #6
    Mechagnome Zenora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In a van near you!
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokudu View Post
    Just wondering what everyones opinion on swapping mains is this "late" into the expansion. I originally was playing my Warrior with some people I used to play with but they all stopped playing. I am now setting up a group with some IRL friends and most of them are just reaching 90. I had wanted to raid on the warrior but our other tank is a Paladin so I am looking into swapping to my Druid which is 90 also but not nearly as geared as my Warrior. I'm thinking an Agility tank and a Plate tank is the way to go, Agility Leather is the most common type of gear in the game with 7 specs that use it vs 3 for tank plate. Since Blizzard scales gear drops based upon the number of specs that can use a certain piece Agility Leather should be most common and therefore its nigh on beneficial to have 2 Agility Leather wearers in a 10m group. At least that's my thinking, I like both characters and do not mind swapping to my Druid.
    it is never too late to swap mains, however your point about some gear dropping more than others is not true, its rather random tbh

  7. #7
    Over 9000! Hyve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    9,162
    There is never a point in which it is "too late" to swap your main character, but you should always be considerate when doing so. Changing your class often can be a nuisance for the Raid Leader, and for people who often have to compete with you on gear, for you to then just change next tier.

    Be careful when changing class. I've known many people to do it purely because they're bored with one class, but they've failed to realise it is the game they're bored with. Before changing (unless urgent, and for the benefit of the guild) you should be a serious commitment into your potentially new class. Gear your character up, do plenty of achievements on it and do some Alt / PUG runs on it. After all that you still enjoy the class, then you can change.

  8. #8
    It's a strange one. Given that in the new patch, if your guild aren't running old raids how fast you can gear up to your main will rely entirely on your luck in LFR. That said, in the new patch I believe the loot chance in the old LFR (ie the now current ones) is going to be increasing to help gear up.

  9. #9
    The biggest problem you will face is the legendary quest-line. The A Test Of Valor achievement alone will set you back a month : /

  10. #10
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    There is never a point in which it is "too late" to swap your main character, but you should always be considerate when doing so. Changing your class often can be a nuisance for the Raid Leader, and for people who often have to compete with you on gear, for you to then just change next tier.

    Be careful when changing class. I've known many people to do it purely because they're bored with one class, but they've failed to realise it is the game they're bored with. Before changing (unless urgent, and for the benefit of the guild) you should be a serious commitment into your potentially new class. Gear your character up, do plenty of achievements on it and do some Alt / PUG runs on it. After all that you still enjoy the class, then you can change.
    Pretty much this sums it up quite well.

    That said just in my opinion if you're raiding with fresh 90s, swapping characters just to have an agility + plate tank is a pretty poor reason to switch a main. At your raiding level, it really doesn't matter - and if you actually get a high amount of progress in, your raid's skill should then be at the point where it's easy to gear up a druid for gear-stacking.

  11. #11
    Expansion is only about 4 and a half months old, you probably wont see another one until late next year.

    *~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

  12. #12
    never too late mate, if anything this is a good time to do so, with the books doubling rep, getting exalted with factions takes no time at all, and if you reroll into 5.2 the gear level should balance quickly.
    Raining Pandarens because of the bouncy racial?
    Quote Originally Posted by rokatoro View Post
    Some Might say it was... (•_•).....( •_•)>⌐■-■....(⌐■_■) A heavy Rain.
    I'm so sorry ;_;

  13. #13
    Dreadlord Korrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    754
    In my guild we can switch mains at any time we want aslong as we can keep up as good as we did on the previous main.
    But patches are great for switching mains, and now with the shared achives, you can still run the pugs you need to get those pieces you are missing.
    Go for it if that's what makes your gaming experience great c:
    Doesn't matter whatever picture I post here, "Scrapbot" will allways infract me for it.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrah View Post
    In my guild we can switch mains at any time we want aslong as we can keep up as good as we did on the previous main.
    But patches are great for switching mains, and now with the shared achives, you can still run the pugs you need to get those pieces you are missing.
    Go for it if that's what makes your gaming experience great c:
    Don't know about your realm, but on mine PUG leaders tend to check armory to see if people have killed the bosses on normal.

  15. #15
    its never too late to become a rogue
    ~

  16. #16
    The Patient kallekaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    around 60°N 24°E
    Posts
    329
    5.2 inc so best time to swap mains.
    Tho I dont like the idea of playing just 1 or 2 characters. Everyone should play like 5 chars at least

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by kallekaka View Post
    5.2 inc so best time to swap mains.
    Tho I dont like the idea of playing just 1 or 2 characters. Everyone should play like 5 chars at least
    tell me why i should play atleast 5 chars? i enjoy 1/2. see zero reason to play 5 chars...

  18. #18
    I never felt there was a "Too Late" if you're willing to put in the work to get it up to current.
    subscribed
    Kibblet Infectionate Serenades Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Taxiporte Restofarian Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Shoctologist Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

  19. #19
    You could just convince your guild that it's beneficial for them to gear up 3 of your chars for the versatility of the 10-man raiding group!

    Worked for me...

  20. #20
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    256
    New patch is almost here great time to switch it up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •