Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Its never to late to switch mains.

Unless changing main slows down your raid progression a lot. Making work on it a little to gear him up before.

There are some classes, and more specifically, roles that don't require HC gear to raid HC content. From experience, healers are the least gear dependent and dps is by far the most gear dependent role in the raiding book. There's a few classes that scale better than others, meaning they will suck at low gear levels. I found that my hunter wouldn't be too far behind in DPS with lower gear levels. Also, special notice for blood DKs, as I was able to tank HC raids with 458 iLvl (the way Death Strike works means you'll do a shit ton of self healing, meaning if you time them correctly and use your cds properly you'll still be good to heal).

Deleted
    To all you people saying it's never too late, I completely and totally disagree (not an attack, just want to share my opinion and experience).

I've been asking my previous guild to switch to a Hunter months before MoP launched and the answer I got was basically I was too useful on my previous main to pass up. Because I liked raiding with that guild, I accepted it and stuck with my main character. MoP hit and we raided for a month or two before things started to fall apart and we eventually disbanded. After speaking with a guild that's been asking me to join we decided I could switch to a Hunter and join on that. They were at the time working on Geralon heroic when I dinged 90 and started running dungeons to gear up. By the time I had the best possible gear I could get my hands on they were working on some of the harder heroic bosses where you obviously can't carry someone through. Eventually I was falling behind so far with both raid gear and the valor upgrade system that I had no choice but to patiently wait for the guild to get 16/16 heroic before I had a shot at jumping in.

I now have a 16/16 heroic Hunter in somewhat crappy gear, no 4 piece, an LFR gun until last week, and a nice The Fearless title all which I feel I didn't earn. One whole tier I was basically sitting out and flying around Pandaria while my guild did all the progression. I don't raid for gear, I raid to work together with a group of people to get certain bosses down. I want to feel like I accomplished something. This whole tier has been one big nightmare for me. I helped our guild kill one boss in total.

If you were in my position, I would say it was too late. It depends a bit on what type of guild you are in but in my case it was a bad move. New tier however is just perfect and you should switch right now before it is actually too late.

Luckily I passed my trial and I will be raiding normally again next tier.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Bovan/advanced

Deleted
    I swapped mains during ICC, by the time my newly joined guild had begun killing Heroic 25 Man, so it's never too late. Not really by choice though, I applied with both my Death Knight and Shaman, and my new guild chose the Shaman.

Now is a pretty good time for a switch, with a new patch coming up and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    To all you people saying it's never too late, I completely and totally disagree (not an attack, just want to share my opinion and experience).

I've been asking my previous guild to switch to a Hunter months before MoP launched and the answer I got was basically I was too useful on my previous main to pass up. Because I liked raiding with that guild, I accepted it and stuck with my main character. MoP hit and we raided for a month or two before things started to fall apart and we eventually disbanded. After speaking with a guild that's been asking me to join we decided I could switch to a Hunter and join on that. They were at the time working on Geralon heroic when I dinged 90 and started running dungeons to gear up. By the time I had the best possible gear I could get my hands on they were working on some of the harder heroic bosses where you obviously can't carry someone through. Eventually I was falling behind so far with both raid gear and the valor upgrade system that I had no choice but to patiently wait for the guild to get 16/16 heroic before I had a shot at jumping in.

I now have a 16/16 heroic Hunter in somewhat crappy gear, no 4 piece, an LFR gun until last week, and a nice The Fearless title all which I feel I didn't earn. One whole tier I was basically sitting out and flying around Pandaria while my guild did all the progression. I don't raid for gear, I raid to work together with a group of people to get certain bosses down. I want to feel like I accomplished something. This whole tier has been one big nightmare for me. I helped our guild kill one boss in total.

If you were in my position, I would say it was too late. It depends a bit on what type of guild you are in but in my case it was a bad move. New tier however is just perfect and you should switch right now before it is actually too late.

Luckily I passed my trial and I will be raiding normally again next tier.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Bovan/advanced
    If your story had ended at ". . . and so I'm now permanently behind the curve on my hunter and won't be able to participate in progression raiding for the rest of this expansion", then yes, I'd agree that you were "too late".

But . . .

"I will be raiding normally again next tier" doesn't sound "Too late" to me; that sounds like you missed out on a single tier of progression (more because of a guild failing mid-patch than because of a main-swap) and are completely caught up and ready to go for the rest of the raid cycles this expansion. Kind of the opposite of "too late", if you ask me. Yeah, missing T14 sucks, sure. But it's not like the switch is going to hold you back in any significant way.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

By the time you're 90 it'll be 5.3 or 5.4 and the gear curve will be insurmountable.

This is of course we're talking about no heirlooms and you level from 1-90.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

If you don't care about legendary questline I think it's not too late.

new patch is the best time. well, 2 weeks ago would have been the best time, so your guild could carry you through some raid clears and get geared up. but now isn't the worst time either. 2 months into the patch will be too late if you've got people counting on you, so change now if thats what you want to do.

It's never too late, but it's always too late.

As someones who almost never finishes an expansion with the same main I started with, changing mains is a pain the ass but you get over it. It's all about how much you're prepared to lose.

Account wide achievements makes life easier in that regard, but the MOP dailies gate has made life a bit harder for re-rollers. Both in terms of quicker gearing and losing access to things you're eyes bleed for not a few months ago.

It does annoy me a bit that WOW went from being really hard on alts (Vanilla/TBC) to alts you could gear in a week (Wrath/Cata) back to alts being a chore in MOP. My one criticism of Blizzard is they can never find balance and go from one extreme to the other (rep tabards to daily grind). I've found myself with all these alts from the last 2 expansions but struggle to play them now.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's not too late to swap main, at least not if you are setting up your own guild. It would be a lot harder to swap mains if you were planning on starting to look for a raiding-guild, since most of those would not recruit a blue geared character.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonimus View Post
    healers are the least gear dependent).
    Okay then buddy, Whatever you say

fucking lol

It's okay guys, Healers aren't gear dependent. Let me go heal heroic Tsulong in my blues and greens, I got this covered

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysara View Post
    Okay then buddy, Whatever you say

fucking lol

It's okay guys, Healers aren't gear dependent. Let me go heal heroic Tsulong in my blues and greens, I got this covered
    Healers used to be gear independent, but with the spirit changes they've come to rely on gear just as much as anyone.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I am in a16/16 hc guild and any main swaps even spec switching apps are just insta declined and not a single person in my 25 man guild is swapping spec or char for 5.2. You will be really far behind on gear and just bad overall the gear boost from the patch is a lot smaller then on the past. No new dungens and no valor gear outside raiding, you wont have all available dailiy areas open and you might not even be able to run lfr week 1 if you are unlucky. Ilvl 480 is not that easy for a fresh dinged.

If you are just raiding for fun and casualy however yeah why not reroll it wont matter at all. If you want to reroll in a good guild the oonly options you have is really: 1 expansion to expainsion is best, 2 middle of LONG farm period (dragon soul) 3 looking for a less serious guild if your old one disbanded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharlok View Post
    its never too late to become a rogue
    This is a matter of fact. Go rogue or go home.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekiara View Post
    If your story had ended at ". . . and so I'm now permanently behind the curve on my hunter and won't be able to participate in progression raiding for the rest of this expansion", then yes, I'd agree that you were "too late".

But . . .

"I will be raiding normally again next tier" doesn't sound "Too late" to me; that sounds like you missed out on a single tier of progression (more because of a guild failing mid-patch than because of a main-swap) and are completely caught up and ready to go for the rest of the raid cycles this expansion. Kind of the opposite of "too late", if you ask me. Yeah, missing T14 sucks, sure. But it's not like the switch is going to hold you back in any significant way.
    That depends on your perspective I guess. You got a good point, but I don't see it that way. Swapping mid-tier completely ruined everything I cared about in this game for me. Getting a heroic Sha kill is fantastic but not when the only boss you helped progress your group on was heroic Protectors. You can't really carry someone through everything but having these achievements and such while knowing you didn't really contribute feels horrible. After progressing started in the middle of a tier, swapping is too late in my eyes. Unless your guild is able to carry you though some content and weave you in mid-tier, you missed the boat.

But hey this is all a matter of opinions and perspective. But in hindsight I wish I joined on my previous main and swapped to my Hunter after progression. My previous main was actually geared at the time and I would have been able to progress through this tier.

EDIT:
    Just noticed this post;

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    This is a matter of fact. Go rogue or go home.
    My previous main:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...bovan/advanced

What do?

Quote Originally Posted by Rekiara View Post
    Right, the fact is that he got what he asked for when he decided to listen to his old guild (which died anyway) and go against what he wanted. His "consequence" so to speak, was missing the tier, but he was still able to get Cutting Edge: Sha of Fear which is more than what many mains who have played the whole tier can say. He is also ready to step into T15.

See I switched mains mid-tier (granted, only a few months in), and I was able to aggressively gear up and catch up, and participate in four first kills of the tier still, including Sha, including progression work done on some other fights.

It takes some determination; also takes being willing to sacrifice an earlier kill for participating in the kill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    See I switched mains mid-tier (granted, only a few months in), and I was able to aggressively gear up and catch up, and participate in four first kills of the tier still, including Sha, including progression work done on some other fights.
    Well like I mentioned before, it depends a bit on what type of guild you are in. But considering your progress I'm assuming you are in a 25 man heroic-focused guild as well. The problem I/we were facing was that we overrecruited and had no spots even if they decided to bring in some undergeared trial on the harder bosses. Yes it may have been possible to get me in even without proper gear and such but that just wasn't an option at the time. But at the end of the day they didn't actually need me to down bosses. And more importantly, realm firsts were up for grabs.

After the first Sha heroic kill where we got our realm first achievement they were able to sort out trials and get me in. After witnessing trial after trial fail I got a little nervous, but thankfully I passed. They tried recruiting me for months on my Rogue so me randomly joining as a Hunter felt rightfully a bit iffy. Right now we are all falling over eachother trying to get as close to BiS gear as possible for the next tier. Sadly I won't be able to get far in terms of BiS tier 14 gear but my gear right now is good enough to join Throne of Thunder progression from the start.
    Last edited by mmoc973e6c390d; 2013-02-24 at 11:54 PM.

Well like I mentioned before, it depends a bit on what type of guild you are in. But considering your progress I'm assuming you are in a 25 man heroic-focused guild as well.
    Yeah, my signature is my old main who's now casual, my new main raids in another guild now. I still do 25 heroics though; granted, I did gear up in another 10 heroic guild on my new main before I left (due to poor raiding environment, not progression/raid-type related reasons).

I do understand though that being in a top-end guild (such as yours), taking gear from elsewhere (other guilds, or 10m/alt runs) may not be an option. But at least you are ready for 5.2.

The main swap has to happen somewhere in the timeline, and to be honest, I think it's always better done sooner than later if you're really sick of your old main, unless you are close to finishing progression anyway.

Never to late for PVE, for Pvp though there is.

It's never too late to switch mains, but it's rarely an easy transition unless you're going from one melee class to another or one caster to another; don't view it as some easy solution. You'll have to put time into learning the class in and out before you'll feel comfortable, naturally.