Poll: Do you think Turkey should one day join the EU?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Stopped reading there. You've not got a clue ...
    Oh. Turkey is not part of Europe??
    Explain.... Since when have the continental borders changed? Istanbul is not a 2 continent city anymore?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Funny, the last time I checked Britain held occupied territory all over the world for an entire century and not one fuck was given by anyone else, yet when its a Muslim nation who has had territorial issues with the Greek government, its somehow such an offense that you'd sooner slit their throats?

Its that kind of Ignorance and hypocrisy that makes me wonder why we even try to join, joining the EU as a Muslim state is almost as ridiculous as trying to join a treehouse club with stupid rules on admission, and it shows how mature europe is in its thinking when it comes to Islamic tolerance and understanding.

Heres a small hint, Europe doesn't run the entire world and neither is its authority recognized as sovereign, something you guys have failed to realize for the past 1500 years... There's an entire other half of the world that hardly gives a fuck about the little club you made for yourselves.
    The British empire is over, nobody is in the commonwealth against their will, so stop bashing the UK. I never mentioned religion, YOU did, then go off on one about religious tolerance. My issues are the way Turkey treats its own citizens and the illegal settlement of a current member of the EU, I don't give a fuck that they are mostly muslim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Cyprus is not within Turkey's borders, nor Greece's.
    I agree on that
    Yet the Greeks and Turks beat each others heads over cCyprus, which I always seen as none of the others business.
    Nowadays it properly reflects as that. An independent nation.
    And yes, both protagonists need to leave Cyprus. I support that too, and it could be made a requirement for Turkey to join the EU.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-02-24 at 02:49 PM.

Deleted
    No, no and no.

There are already too many parts of the UK that look like the backstreets of Istanbul.
    Last edited by mmoc1204399cdd; 2013-02-24 at 03:05 PM.

Yes, in the future, but right now, no, they have a lot of shit to fix: kurds, Cyprus, religious problems (still remember the case how in one village people burried teenage girl alive because she flirted with a boy - and we are talking about the most secular muslim country).
    Ah yes, also Erdogan.
    He must go, I am growing tired of him blaming everyone else in his failings, especially Israel.

15+ Year Old Account
    I voted yes because it is only a downside in the future not to add them (assuming the economics gets fixed). An example could be WW3 and turkey siding with the other side because they weren't allowed into EU...just as an extreme :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Funny, the last time I checked Britain held occupied territory all over the world for an entire century and not one fuck was given by anyone else, yet when its a Muslim nation who has had territorial issues with the Greek government, its somehow such an offense that you'd sooner slit their throats?
    That example is rather pointless now.. The past is the past... And all major nations from Europe have their fair share on conquering foreign territory..
    That's how Europe's countries came to existence. Turkey is not innocent on that either.

Its that kind of Ignorance and hypocrisy that makes me wonder why we even try to join, joining the EU as a Muslim state is almost as ridiculous as trying to join a treehouse club with stupid rules on admission, and it shows how mature europe is in its thinking when it comes to Islamic tolerance and understanding.
    He was actually pointing out that religion is not and should not be a factor.
    It isn't a factor because Europe holds home for a multitude of religions and it has never been an issue at all in the last 60 years at least.. Your attack has no validation..

Heres a small hint, Europe doesn't run the entire world and neither is its authority recognized as sovereign, something you guys have failed to realize for the past 1500 years... There's an entire other half of the world that hardly gives a fuck about the little club you made for yourselves.
    I don't know what triggered that comment now.
    I support Turkey's inclusion, and I made that clear.
    However, I too pointed out that such can only be the case if Turkey warrants that there are no national political problems within Turkey. The human rights issue is an issue. If that's solved, and if Turkey retreats from Cyprus, then the door should be wide open, and Turkey is a valuable member of the EU.

Turkey is ready to leave Cyprus as long as governing power as well as commonwealth is equally divided. Last time I checked Annan's plan was favoring Greeks so hard.

Deleted
    Isn't Erdogan even still denying the Armenian genocide?
    Not to mention the fact that once again there simply were the most violations of human rights in Turkey in 2012 within Europe - even more than in Russia.

They really need to fix these issues first.

Also, The membership of EU is an artificial goal created by Turkish Politicians to divert the masses back in days. Neither our politicians nor our citizens want to enter EU today. Even someone barely educated or casually reading about Turkish Political History knows it. We should aim European level of human rights but Turkey doesn't really need to be in EU. In fact, you would need a Turkey without serious problems(human rights, terror etc.) more than such Turkey would need you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Also, The membership of EU is an artificial goal created by Turkish Politicians to divert the masses back in days. Neither our politicians nor our citizens want to enter EU today. Even someone barely educated or casually reading about Turkish Political History knows it. We should aim European level of human rights but Turkey doesn't really need to be in EU. In fact, you would need a Turkey without serious problems(human rights, terror etc.) more than such Turkey would need you.
    What was the literacy rate in Turkey again?

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    What was the literacy rate in Turkey again?
    is it relevant? Something around %93 as far as I know

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree to let Turkey join the EU, but at least let UK pull out first please.

Deleted
    is it relevant? Something around %93 as far as I know
    Just wondering why you think Turkey is such a great bargain for EU.

They have no place in the Union. The way they treat Armenains and Kurds show that they are just as inhumane as 100 years ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    The question should be what is the future of EU !
    Then you can ask what to do with Turkey.

I think there is no consensus between european countries about wich direction should take EU.
    The integration process is really slow now, there is many divergence in politics (economic, social, foreign affairs) between its major countries.
    The democratic reprensentativity is weak and is controlled by officials in Bruxelles.
    There will probably be a poll in UK, many political forces in various countries want to end the Euro experience or even the EU itself (extremists from right or left).
    The picture is not very exiting at this moment...

I think also the turkish do not know what they really are.
    They still live under the nostalgy of the Ottoman Empire. They are still fighting between westernalisation an oriental tendencies.
    They want, as a muslim country, to take the leadership among the other muslim countries of western mediterranean, wich is legitimate, but will be contradictory with an european integration.
    They think they are descendant of turco-mongol peoples wich is nearly completly wrong, historiticaly Anatolia is one the most geneticaly mixed region of "Europe".
    They are a mix of greek, semit, persian, armenian, other caucasian people, with celtics and germanic invasions, on an indo-european substratum with a turkish speaking elite wich had been for several centuries living in persian regions before taking power in Anatolia !
    When you look the at other turkish speaking peoples further in the east, they are all very asian, the kind of face you don't see in Turkey.

When Europe will take back world leadership, they will do it with Turkey and Russia, it's not for tomorow ! (as a side note EU is already the wold economic leader in terms of GDP and will be untill China will exceed).
    Last edited by pouca; 2013-02-24 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Just wondering why you think Turkey is such a great bargain for EU.
    Because we have resources that you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted no just out of principle. Turkey lies not on the European continent (except for a tiny part) and therefore should not be allowed to join the European Union. Easy as that. If they change the name of the Union then maybe, but not now. Otherwise we could ask Japan or the US to join. I mean they will definitely pass all requirements.....

In regards to the religion issue, tolerance has to work both ways. Until we start seeing a clear separation of church & state, it will always be a problem. Hell, I don't know of any country that is managing to pull that off yet, not even Sweden which supposedly is one of the atheist-richest countries in the world.

And then there's the whole human rights issue, which is tied into religion (specially Islams view on women & Sharia law).

I do think Turkey should join EU one day, I think we must all work together and set aside our differences and work towards a common goal (space perhaps?). On the other hand, it's not like the EU as it is today is achieving that goal; but it's hopefully getting there.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Turkey is ready to leave Cyprus as long as governing power as well as commonwealth is equally divided. Last time I checked Annan's plan was favoring Greeks so hard.
    800,000 Greek-Cypriots

200,000 Turkish-Cypriots

So, 1 Turkish-Cypriot vote = 4 Greek-Cypriot votes.

I wonder why the Greek-Cypriots won't agree to that!