Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Well I was talking about geographic diversity, but we have people of all races here that speak many different languages. They're just spread out and usually live in cities. It's not really "pound for pound" as mixed as Switzerland is (assuming that's where you live).

Other than English, Spanish is the only language that can be considered a second language across the entire country.
    If you talk purely geographical I would dare to say that Russia or maybe China and Australia is as diverse as the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    No, officially or de facto languages. You have English and maybe spanish to a degree. Switzerland has French, German, Italian and Romansh. Also their stamps are in latin XD
    Yeah. We only have English as a de facto national language, and Spanish as a second one. Well, people in New England and Louisiana speak French sometimes.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    Well, i replied with my knowledge, i learned in school, and here my country everyone agrees that Europe and Asia have no relation except by geographical borders. Even cultures are miles apart. The concept of Euroasia picked up again during the World Wars after being set aside for long, due to those bordering nations getting worldly attention.
    But dividing continents after culture rather than landmass is gonna screw things up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Well 4 is the languages spoken here without counting dialects and immigrants.
    I'm not counting dialects or immigrants either. There are people here that still speak the language of their ancestors even though they are already a few generations into being in the US. Sure it may only be prevalent in certain sections of certain cities, but it exists. I could take a subway from Brooklyn to the Bronx and count probably at least 10 different languages by US citizens who are not immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I'm not counting dialects or immigrants either. There are people here that still speak the language of their ancestors even though they are already a few generations into being in the US. Sure it may only be prevalent in certain sections of certain cities, but it exists. I could take a subway from Brooklyn to the Bronx and count probably at least 10 different languages by US citizens who are not immigrants.
    Yiddish doesn't count!

10+ Year Old Account
    No, officially or de facto languages. You have English and maybe spanish to a degree. Switzerland has French, German, Italian and Romansh. Also their stamps are in latin XD
    The US has no official language because of how many different languages are spoken in this country.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you talk purely geographical I would dare to say that Russia or maybe China and Australia is as diverse as the US.
    USA has everything but a jungle.

Only country in the world to have significant parts in the Arctic Circle and the tropics, and the temperate parts are extremely diverse (Arizona desert, Everglades, Applachians/Rockies, Wyoming prairies, Great Lakes region, New England forests you name it).

The US has no official language because of how many different languages are spoken in this country.
    I thought it was just because you never got around to make it officials since English was defacto since 1776

10+ Year Old Account
    USA has everything but a jungle.

Only country in the world to have significant parts in the Arctic Circle and the tropics, and the temperate parts are extremely diverse (Arizona desert, Everglades, Applachians/Rockies, Wyoming prairies, Great Lakes region, New England forests you name it).
    There are jungles in Puerto Rico, so we have that too.

That's too strange for me to comprehend as a state is really small (at least in my mind). I can't imagine Illinois being self sufficient.
    The USA are not self-sufficient. They are dependent on the rest of the world on a great many things (cheap labour, certain ressources, research, markets, ...).

On the subject of homogenous countries, I do believe that the USA are one of the most homogenous countries in the world, simply because its people have a similar history of settling there. The entire USA are clearly one "nation", albeit with different origins. In europe, africa or asia, IE places that were already heavily populated before the colonies, neighbouring groups within the same countries can belong to very different nations.

This is the source of many conflicts in africa, and was the source of many conflicts in europe for a very long time.

And on the subject of geography, and your issue with being able to go from border to border within a few hours, I don't really see that as relevant. In most places of the world, it's not hard at all to cross those borders and just go to neighbouring countries anyway. If you drive for a thousand miles from where you live in the USA, you'll end up somewhere very different. Same applies everywhere, border or not. The fact that you're in the same country doesn't affect much of anything.

There are jungles in Puerto Rico, so we have that too.
    Unless Porto Rico becomes a state then it doesn't count. Else i would say UK is the most diverse :P

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    LOL

You want cultural, linguistic, culinary and geographical diversity? You can fit the whole of Europe in to the USA.

In fact there is probably more cultural and linguistic diversity in any European country than the entire US
    It appears you know nothing about the USA. Every state basically has it's own dialect. For example...what would you guys think I was asking if I asked you where the "bubbler" was?

It's a water fountain you drink out of
    Last edited by Pfeff; 2013-02-24 at 07:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    But dividing continents after culture rather than landmass is gonna screw things up.
    You take both into account. Ignoring culture, you get 4 continents: Afro-Euroasia, the Americas, Australia and Antarctica. It's useless for humanity. If we were an alien race who were inhabiting Earth for the first time and decided we needed to name these landmasses, then going with something like that might make some sense, but we're not. Hence, culture needs to be taken into account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless Porto Rico becomes a state then it doesn't count. Else i would say UK is the most diverse :P
    There is a difference between being a territory of a country, and being an independent nation that still recognizes the Monarch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brachamul View Post
    The USA are not self-sufficient. They are dependent on the rest of the world on a great many things (cheap labour, certain ressources, research, markets, ...).

On the subject of homogenous countries, I do believe that the USA are one of the most homogenous countries in the world, simply because its people have a similar history of settling there. The entire USA are clearly one "nation", albeit with different origins. In europe, africa or asia, IE places that were already heavily populated before the colonies, neighbouring groups within the same countries can belong to very different nations.

This is the source of many conflicts in africa, and was the source of many conflicts in europe for a very long time.

And on the subject of geography, and your issue with being able to go from border to border within a few hours, I don't really see that as relevant. In most places of the world, it's not hard at all to cross those borders and just go to neighbouring countries anyway. If you drive for a thousand miles from where you live in the USA, you'll end up somewhere very different. Same applies everywhere, border or not. The fact that you're in the same country doesn't affect much of anything.

We are self sufficient. We just choose not to be since its cheaper
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...lf-sufficiency
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/bu...n-5-years.html
    http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...f-sufficiency/

Deleted
    its pretty good here in a small country. i like that you can get anywhere quickly, i live the other side of the country to London, and its still only about a 4hour drive. you dont really have the problem with diversity in the bigger cities such as london.

Deleted
    Culterally, yes, geographically I would disagree. No Jungles, deserts or arctic tundras here.

Everything is much smaller/less crowded.
    I've been to NY a couple of times (~10) and tbh i like my little village in austria much more.
    Just some fact: Population Austria ~8.4 million. my village ~3k

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    It appears you know nothing about the USA. Every state basically has it's own language. For example...what would you guys think I was asking if I asked you where the "bubbler" was?
    Thats just slang, every town or village in the UK has it's own slang that is unique to that place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Culterally, yes, geographically I would disagree. No Jungles, deserts or arctic tundras here.
    for a small island though there is quite a bit of geographic diversity, no way near as much as the USA but still not that bad for the size.