Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Then again, maybe countries about the size of Canada and mine are just really big and all of the others are normal.
    This is more like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Moving the goal posts now, aren't we.

Regardless - Iceland is the smallest country still larger than that.
    No. It's just hard typing on an iphone in the subway and trying to send a post before the signal goes out.

Who said I was only talking about Europe anyways? That's a bit self centred to think that isn't it?

Denmark is smaller too, unless you include Greenland.
    Last edited by GreatOak; 2013-02-24 at 11:25 PM.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

No. It's just hard typing on an iphone in the subway and trying to send a post before the signal goes out.

Who said I was only talking about Europe anyways? That's a bit self centred to think that isn't it?

Denmark is smaller too, unless you include Greenland.
    I always include Greenland. And when the Norwegians aren't around i like to include Norway too...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Devon accent isn't too bad, most people here dont really have the accent, at least around the coast, in the center its stronger and cornwall is pretty bad. but i grew up with it so i understand it quite well :P
    I can barely understand the Dorset accent, and I come from London.

Apparently, 'Oi mayt yor boi thar warr garts', means 'I'll meet you by the weir gates'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I can barely understand the Dorset accent, and I come from London.

Apparently, 'Oi mayt yor boi thar warr garts', means 'I'll meet you by the weir gates'.
    I think that is also a sexual come on.

I live in the Netherlands. It's really, really small.
    Culturally homogeneous? Nothing could be further from the truth. Apart from the fact that it's a country that has, historically, be the home for Franks, Batavs, Saxons, Angles, Frisians, Gypsies and Jews for... Well; a very, very long time (all with their own cultures), we've had a good run at the whole colonialism, which increases the amount of different tribes in our little country by quite a nifty amount. Then you've got immigrants, which also adds really nicely to the mix. Immigrants in large numbers, by the way. 40% of our current urban populace is immigrant.
    The Netherlands has four different languages (Dutch, Frisian, Limburgs and Papiamento), and both Dutch and Frisian have a mutlitude of dialects within our borders. Then there's the NetherSaxon dialects, too; language in all but official written form. Then we've got Pecok, which is a Dutch-Bahasa dialect. And, of course, Dutch Yiddish. And then we've got another dialect: Dutch English.

That's just languages. Just assume, for the hell of it, that each and every group has its own culture as well.

As for our landscape: We live in a river delta, but our landscape is quite diverse. We've got pretty much everything apart from mountains. Yes; we've even got desert areas.

The assumption that such a small country isn't as diverse as the US is... Well; untrue, I believe. Especially since we've got 17 million people living in this tiny river delta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Oddly enough, it actually was an invite for an 'encounter'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't matter here. Even Chavs can probably impress American girls with their "accents"

"O u lyk propa bangn. Me m8 ova thr is chekin u owt thns ur fit so im gnna b qk 2 da pnt. wots dat? nt imprssed? owl spark ya owt ryt quik u fking cnt. say dat 2 me mug n see wt hppns" I don't know if that's how they speak since I've only talked to one but my sister got a similar text message from one while we were out eating in London about a year back. They were probably fucking with us since we were foreigners.

I love how British speak in general

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN2945UUEp8

10+ Year Old Account
    well as far as America goes we do have everything geographically. We even have jungles on Hawaii
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Wouldn't matter here. Even Chavs can probably impress American girls with their "accents"

"O u lyk propa bangn. Me m8 ova thr is chekin u owt thns ur fit so im gnna b qk 2 da pnt. wots dat? nt imprssed? owl spark ya owt ryt quik u fking cnt. say dat 2 me mug n see wt hppns" I don't know if that's how they speak since I've only talked to one but my sister got a similar text message from one while we were out eating in London about a year back. They were probably fucking with us since we were foreigners.

I love how British speak in general

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN2945UUEp8
    Yup, thats a chav, but there is not such thing as "how the british speak in general".

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, thats a chav, but there is not such thing as "how the british speak in general".
    Less Rhotic accents

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    well as far as America goes we do have everything geographically. We even have jungles on Hawaii
    Possibly, but then consider this:
    The Netherlands is slightly less than twice the size of New Jersey.
    Though if we're going to count islands off-shore:
    Yups; got tropical jungles as well. (Saint Martin, Curaçao, Aruba). Truth be told, those are generally countries of their own, but they're a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands none-the-less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Possibly, but then consider this:
    The Netherlands is slightly less than twice the size of New Jersey.
    Though if we're going to count islands off-shore:
    Yups; got tropical jungles as well. (Saint Martin, Curaçao, Aruba). Truth be told, those are generally countries of their own, but they're a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands none-the-less.
    ya but you dont have a desert or mountains
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Well...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Scenery
    It's a mountain.
    As for desert:
    looks more like a beach....

15+ Year Old Account
    Only country in the world to have significant parts in the Arctic Circle and the tropics, and the temperate parts are extremely diverse (Arizona desert, Everglades, Applachians/Rockies, Wyoming prairies, Great Lakes region, New England forests you name it).

From a few pages back but i just thought i would point out that none of the US(except part of alaska) is in either the arctic circle or the tropics
    Last edited by Alski; 2013-02-25 at 01:34 AM.

Only it's inland.
    Like this:

And:

Said an explorer at where Sahara and Atlantic meet.

Deleted
    It's just condensed really, everything's closer together. I don't need to travel border to border since It'd take me 30 minutes to get to London and there's really no need to go anywhere else. Takes about two hours for me to get to France just by driving and cultural diversity isn't that big of a deal. I've got friends from every continent on the planet, what else matters?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's even funnier living here in Australia. The continent is about 50% larger than the whole of Europe, only slightly smaller than the U.S. (not all of continental North America, just the U.S.), yet we have a sprinkling of 22 million people living mostly on the eastern coastline... Maybe a few million spread around the southern cape, Perth in the west, and smaller numbers up north.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.