Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
  1. #61
    Immortal Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Actually, for members of the royal family to be payed they actually need to work. They can't just party and have fun to get money from the taxfund. Ofc, the family has some private assets etc as well that can be used.
    A large sum of the tax that goes to the royal family also goes to the plenthora of old castles and grounds that comes with them.
    And people on welfare are also required to do certain duties (ranging from actively searching for a job or working out a medical plan with your doctor to get healthier)
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  2. #62
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Tourists are here for the estates, history and tradition. Not for the "blue bloods" themselves.
    I don't see why we would need a president instead of a monarch, though. I never said I wanted either. I am not a person who bothers alot with politics, mind, so I might be wrong and we might need one, but I just don't see it - as far as I've understood, the queen we have currently has no real impact on how the country is run. She's just "there".

    Kings and queens are a reminiscent from a long forgotten era, where "ruling a kingdom" actually ment ruling it, rather than being a frontfigure.
    Ironically the Queen is a lot more popular than any single Danish politician. Not to mention she'd most likely do a better job at ruling the country....
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  3. #63
    Besides the thing they can promote, and make people aware about, nope...no point.

    I see them as being pretty much useless inn Denmark. Sure they go to China and promote lego...cool, but whatever - They get plenty of cash every year.
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

  4. #64
    I think it's a remnant of the past, a remnant which I'm not certain what I want to do with. On one hand the royal families and the privelegies they enjoy and responsibilites they suffer from are inherently undemocratic and imo don't belong in a modern nation. On the other hand I like preserving some traditions that are part of our national heritage and unlike in many other countries that eventually got rid of their royals ours don't carry a stigma of trying to for example get back into power or worse exert great power at the expense of the people.

    I think I'm for a royal family though, but I heavily dislike the current Swedish king - he should abdicate and let Victoria represent Sweden in the future. Because that is what it is all about, the royal family is living PR which I believe Sweden profits from in the long run. But is it okay to be born into a job you might neither want nor deserve? No, but that's a call for the royal family to make, if they don't want to be special anymore they can abdicate and weighing pros and cons I don't really care which.

  5. #65
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    Besides the thing they can promote, and make people aware about, nope...no point.

    I see them as being pretty much useless inn Denmark. Sure they go to China and promote lego...cool, but whatever - They get plenty of cash every year.
    They do much more than that. When the Crown Prince goes to China they talk business, friendship and over seas deals.
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  6. #66
    The Insane Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    15,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It's relevant because, the income from the tourism helps quite a bit, thus making the royalty that much more relevant.

    Tourism tickets would cover the royal castle, their summer "castle" at most, everything else would not meet the number of tourists needed for the upkeep.


    Edit
    Hmm think I missunderstood your first post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Did you read how US is trying to destabilize pacific (china-jap) area too? They are sending warships down there. We might be seeing a new military force being created out of those two nations that will counter NATO (with EASE)

  7. #67
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post

    Tourism tickets would cover the royal castle, their summer "castle" at most, everything else would not meet the number of tourists needed for the upkeep.


    Edit
    Hmm think I missunderstood your first post
    Hehe no worries, we are on the same page
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  8. #68
    I like the monarchy of Norway because so far, since our independence, we've had good kings. They are rational, intelligent, liberal and humanistic. They have little power, and the government provides them with the funds, so they cannot go all "Louis XIV of France" if they suddenly felt like it. They aren't expensive, and all of their expenses are available for public viewing. They have important roles as diplomats and stand as a symbol of the Norwegian spirit.
    Mother pus bucket!

  9. #69
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thunder Bluff
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    But is it okay to be born into a job you might neither want nor deserve? No, but that's a call for the royal family to make, if they don't want to be special anymore they can abdicate and weighing pros and cons I don't really care which.
    That isn't something that is limited to them tho, lots of offspring gets born into the family business. Theirs just happen to be "Public PR figures" or whatever you want to call it. Also I wouldn't ever want to be them or swap with them, I'd rather be quite a bit poorer then them and live in anonymity.

    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I like the monarchy of Norway because so far, since our independence, we've had good kings. They are rational, intelligent, liberal and humanistic. They have little power, and the government provides them with the funds, so they cannot go all "Louis XIV of France" if they suddenly felt like it. They aren't expensive, and all of their expenses are available for public viewing. They have important roles as diplomats and stand as a symbol of the Norwegian spirit.
    You only had three of your own since WW2 and the independance (1905). I'm sure there will be "fun" once in the future, there just have not been enough inbreeding yet. Isn't one of the current spouses of the future royals a woman that talks to angels and claim to communicate with the dead.
    Last edited by looorg; 2013-02-24 at 09:45 PM. Reason: stuff

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It's relevant because, the income from the tourism helps quite a bit, thus making the royalty that much more relevant.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 09:59 PM ----------



    Or people who care about history, culture, a national feel and legacy.
    A national legacy and culture require a king?
    The fun police took my signature.

  11. #71
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,163
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    A national legacy and culture require a king?
    Requires? No, not at all. But it's part of it, and honestly it's part of the current cultural feel and most people like it, so why remove it?
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  12. #72
    Well apparently they pay for themselves in the long run, so I can't say I mind.

    Besides, having a king is cool.
    Nyoro~n? (´・ω・`)
    5:2 diet? Pft!

    One year, 62kg/136lb lost. Only a little bit left...

  13. #73
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,163
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Well apparently they pay for themselves in the long run, so I can't say I mind.

    Besides, having a king is cool.
    Exactly. Nothing else to be said really.
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    A national legacy and culture require a king?
    Why would you say anything like this? Of course they require a King, because there has been Kings in Scandinavia like 1000 years already. Even Finland wanted to become a monarchy in 1918 and would have become if Germany didn't lost World War I. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom...and_%281918%29

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I like the monarchy of Norway because so far, since our independence, we've had good kings. They are rational, intelligent, liberal and humanistic. They have little power, and the government provides them with the funds, so they cannot go all "Louis XIV of France" if they suddenly felt like it. They aren't expensive, and all of their expenses are available for public viewing. They have important roles as diplomats and stand as a symbol of the Norwegian spirit.
    Great post - sums it up quite well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •