Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Tourists are here for the estates, history and tradition. Not for the "blue bloods" themselves.
    I don't see why we would need a president instead of a monarch, though. I never said I wanted either. I am not a person who bothers alot with politics, mind, so I might be wrong and we might need one, but I just don't see it - as far as I've understood, the queen we have currently has no real impact on how the country is run. She's just "there".

Kings and queens are a reminiscent from a long forgotten era, where "ruling a kingdom" actually ment ruling it, rather than being a frontfigure.
    Ironically the Queen is a lot more popular than any single Danish politician. Not to mention she'd most likely do a better job at ruling the country....

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Besides the thing they can promote, and make people aware about, nope...no point.

I see them as being pretty much useless inn Denmark. Sure they go to China and promote lego...cool, but whatever - They get plenty of cash every year.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    I think it's a remnant of the past, a remnant which I'm not certain what I want to do with. On one hand the royal families and the privelegies they enjoy and responsibilites they suffer from are inherently undemocratic and imo don't belong in a modern nation. On the other hand I like preserving some traditions that are part of our national heritage and unlike in many other countries that eventually got rid of their royals ours don't carry a stigma of trying to for example get back into power or worse exert great power at the expense of the people.

I think I'm for a royal family though, but I heavily dislike the current Swedish king - he should abdicate and let Victoria represent Sweden in the future. Because that is what it is all about, the royal family is living PR which I believe Sweden profits from in the long run. But is it okay to be born into a job you might neither want nor deserve? No, but that's a call for the royal family to make, if they don't want to be special anymore they can abdicate and weighing pros and cons I don't really care which.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    Besides the thing they can promote, and make people aware about, nope...no point.

I see them as being pretty much useless inn Denmark. Sure they go to China and promote lego...cool, but whatever - They get plenty of cash every year.
    They do much more than that. When the Crown Prince goes to China they talk business, friendship and over seas deals.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It's relevant because, the income from the tourism helps quite a bit, thus making the royalty that much more relevant.

Tourism tickets would cover the royal castle, their summer "castle" at most, everything else would not meet the number of tourists needed for the upkeep.

Edit
    Hmm think I missunderstood your first post
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post

Tourism tickets would cover the royal castle, their summer "castle" at most, everything else would not meet the number of tourists needed for the upkeep.

Edit
    Hmm think I missunderstood your first post
    Hehe no worries, we are on the same page

I like the monarchy of Norway because so far, since our independence, we've had good kings. They are rational, intelligent, liberal and humanistic. They have little power, and the government provides them with the funds, so they cannot go all "Louis XIV of France" if they suddenly felt like it. They aren't expensive, and all of their expenses are available for public viewing. They have important roles as diplomats and stand as a symbol of the Norwegian spirit.
    Mother pus bucket!

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    But is it okay to be born into a job you might neither want nor deserve? No, but that's a call for the royal family to make, if they don't want to be special anymore they can abdicate and weighing pros and cons I don't really care which.
    That isn't something that is limited to them tho, lots of offspring gets born into the family business. Theirs just happen to be "Public PR figures" or whatever you want to call it. Also I wouldn't ever want to be them or swap with them, I'd rather be quite a bit poorer then them and live in anonymity.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I like the monarchy of Norway because so far, since our independence, we've had good kings. They are rational, intelligent, liberal and humanistic. They have little power, and the government provides them with the funds, so they cannot go all "Louis XIV of France" if they suddenly felt like it. They aren't expensive, and all of their expenses are available for public viewing. They have important roles as diplomats and stand as a symbol of the Norwegian spirit.
    You only had three of your own since WW2 and the independance (1905). I'm sure there will be "fun" once in the future, there just have not been enough inbreeding yet. Isn't one of the current spouses of the future royals a woman that talks to angels and claim to communicate with the dead.
    Last edited by looorg; 2013-02-24 at 09:45 PM. Reason: stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It's relevant because, the income from the tourism helps quite a bit, thus making the royalty that much more relevant.

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 09:59 PM ----------

Or people who care about history, culture, a national feel and legacy.
    A national legacy and culture require a king?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    Requires? No, not at all. But it's part of it, and honestly it's part of the current cultural feel and most people like it, so why remove it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Well apparently they pay for themselves in the long run, so I can't say I mind.

Besides, having a king is cool.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Well apparently they pay for themselves in the long run, so I can't say I mind.

Besides, having a king is cool.
    Exactly. Nothing else to be said really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    Why would you say anything like this? Of course they require a King, because there has been Kings in Scandinavia like 1000 years already. Even Finland wanted to become a monarchy in 1918 and would have become if Germany didn't lost World War I. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom...and_%281918%29

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Great post - sums it up quite well.