Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is PvP a side game in WoW?

No offense to PvPers hear me out I like pvp but is it techically a side game, every major patch a new raid/dungeon gets released but not new pvp maps. It would be cool if they did a CoD style with map packs(free of course) every major patch. Anyways is PvP a side game to blizz?

10+ Year Old Account
    PvP is definitely not a side game. A lot of the class changes going out occur solely because of PvP.

Arenas are supposed to reflect the skill of a player into a rating. Its not about the maps that exist. Sure, they could add more, but we don't need 50+ arena locations.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    More like the wierd ginger-headed cousin you pretend you don't have honestly.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

i think they could definitely do more with pvp. obviously WoW is a PVE monster. however, i feel they let the boat sail on pvp. there was a very ripe opportunity for WoW to have cornered markets like Dota and LoL if they had put more focused into pvp oriented content. its still extremely fun the way it is now; but it coulda have been much much more with proper dedication.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sometimes definately feels like blizzard is considering PvP as a side-game/mini-game to me :/

Deleted
    but not new pvp maps.
    Are you for real? Did you just start playing this game in MoP or what the actual fuck?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i quit mid way thru cata but prior to that all i ever did was basically pvp. we had our 1 night pve adventures in our guild but most of us were pvp addicts. in my opinion i do feel like they pay more attention to the pve side of things but i believe its mostly due to the fact that thats probably where a majority of their subscribers play.

i just wish they would bite the bullet and have the spells and abilities of all classes work differently between pve and pvp. theyve done this before with certain abilities and its worked out pretty well in terms of balancing and i believe that if they did seperate them and finally got them semi balanced (i dont think mmo games with as many classes as WoW has can ever truly be balance) i think they would save themselves a lot of time adjusting things between patches.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. Many class changes happen because of PvP. Especially this xpac, they are trying to balance it. Just because they do not spew BG's at us doesn't mean its a side-game. You have to remember, previous expac Instances never get ran as current content, old BG's do. There are many people who just play this game to PvP. The extent of PvE I do is cheevo whore, xmog gear, and LFR. PvE has just gotten stale for me.

Besides, most xpacs come with 1-2 BG's and Wintergrasp/Tol Barad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    (i dont think mmo games with as many classes as WoW has can ever truly be balance)
    I'm not too sure about that. Final Fantasy XI has many more classes (jobs) then wow could hope for and they've balanced it pretty well all things considered.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    i quit mid way thru cata but prior to that all i ever did was basically pvp. we had our 1 night pve adventures in our guild but most of us were pvp addicts. in my opinion i do feel like they pay more attention to the pve side of things but i believe its mostly due to the fact that thats probably where a majority of their subscribers play.

i just wish they would bite the bullet and have the spells and abilities of all classes work differently between pve and pvp. theyve done this before with certain abilities and its worked out pretty well in terms of balancing and i believe that if they did seperate them and finally got them semi balanced (i dont think mmo games with as many classes as WoW has can ever truly be balance) i think they would save themselves a lot of time adjusting things between patches.
    DaOC had a bazillion classes compared to WoW and it probably had the best pvp ever seen in an MMO.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the player. If the person plays pvp casually then it will definitely feel like a side game to them. Solo queuing random bgs or playing 2s for honor and conquest is my idea of casual. These people are generally Casual when it comes to pve too. They probably just run scenarios and heroics and enjoy doing dailies.

On the other hand, the hardcore pvper would obviously feel different about pvp in relation to this game. The amount of knowledge and repetition it requires to be a good pvper would make any serious pvper feel that pvp is not a side game.

Deleted
    the games was released with PvE in its mind.
    during vanilla they kept adding more and more PvP cause people enjoyed it. making it an important part of the game also.

for an orginal release point of view: yes, PvP is a side game
    from a more current point of view: no, PvP is one of the end game options. but its hard too get balanced correctly without effecting PvE

PvE is the main part of the game - PvP is quite present and noticeable, but still a dwarf compared to PvE.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    ive never played the final fantasy games so i cant comment on that, and i unfortunately never played daoc either. with that being said though were the classes truly balanced? i mean sure they can get pretty close but has any mmo ever had every class truly balanced. anyways thats really besides the point we're talkin about WoW and i dont really see the pvp being balanced until they seperate the way all spells and abilities work between the two.

i think it would be fairly simple for them to add some sort of pvp spec, like the dual spec option, where its activated once you enter a battleground or arena or are engage in pvp combat in the open world. theyve coded pvp power to work differently between pve and pvp right? i know theyve said in the past that it would take a long time to do but surely im not the only one that can that it would save them a lot of time balancing shit between patches. if dmg is too high for lets say a mage in pvp then they can tweak the numbers for that "pvp spec" and everything is fixed without harming its efficency in pve

It's not really treated like a side game. Sure, it doesn't get new maps and content as often as I would like, but it gets a lot of attention when it comes to class balancing and whatnot. The problem is, no game with classes is ever going to be balanced, so it's a joke. And the more abilities that get added, the worse it gets, as evident by the fact that every expansion is worse than the one before it, balance wise. So no, it's not a side game, but it probably should be. No serious competitive player will choose this genre for their game, anyway, so I don't see why they even bother trying to balance around it. It's never going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    DaOC had a bazillion classes compared to WoW and it probably had the best pvp ever seen in an MMO.
    Yeah, but that game was far from balanced (not saying a balanced game = good game exactly but just that DAOC wasn't balanced at all)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    ROFL. This is the worst pvp expansion yet, blizzards talks a lot as usual but they aren't trying to do shit for pvp. It's all about the LFRtards and if something is broken beyong belief in pvp they might take a look at it after a month or five.
    I can't say this the best pvp exp so far, but I can't say it's the worst either. The problem with this exp pack (again) is that burst damage is WAY too high. Blizzard added WAY too many DPS CDs. I honestly doubt PvE players actually enjoy all the DPS CDs. Boomkins were like the spec with no DPS cds, but great passive sustained/burst damage. In MoP they got like 3 freaking DPS CDs added to them. Every class nowadays is a ret paladin of the previous expansions. The only sad part is that ret paladins aren't the ret paladins of the previous expansions anymore. xDDD

I had this crazy idea about making one of the specs be pvp focused, like for example frost for mages, sub for rogues and arms for warriors with lower dps than their best spec, but with fun utility that would make up for it.

Oh wait, have to have every spec viable in LFR.
    That would be pretty lame if you ask me. How will they do that with hybrid classes? Herp derp, we're going to make disc priest THE PvP spec. Screw holy and shadow! Herp derp, we're going to make retribution THE PvP spec. Screw holy and prot! Yeah... no.

I find this question silly, if anything an mmo is just a collection of minigames that compliment eachother, most of the content is actually leveling in most mmo's, end game is just a sidething, even if we claim that's where it starts.

And as a pvper, I don't even want maps, nagrand only works just fine for me, most arena's added later have glaring flaws with tolvy excluded.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    ROFL. This is the worst pvp expansion yet, blizzards talks a lot as usual but they aren't trying to do shit for pvp. It's all about the LFRtards and if something is broken beyong belief in pvp they might take a look at it after a month or five.
    I disagree. This season is bad, but there were seasons in BC and such where if you weren't a Mace-stun warrior, Resto druid, or SL/SL lock, your 2v2 life was hell. Past seasons have had comps like RMP. Yeah, classes like Warriors, Frost Mages, BM hunters, etc, have been strong as hell this patch, past seasons have been far from perfect.

Blizzard needs to start nerfing more with hotfixes if the problem is serious. Things such as TFB and Stampede bug should have been changed very quickly. That's about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    PVE has more time dedicated to it I'm certain, but I wouldn't call PVP just a "side game". I highly doubt they'd organize tournaments that pay real money for just a "side game".