Deleted

Going to London, need help from ze engwrish species!

Hey all! (mostly english people!) I'm going to London on a class trip soon, and I figure I'd ask around if there was any tips you could share with me for interviewing? such as how to politely ask people if they want to be interviewed (Unless a "sir/madam would you mind spending 2 minutes for an interview with us" works).

Same goes to the general politeness.. Is it true tourists gain plus points if they end everything with "please" ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Take as many pictures as you can with the Buckingham Palace Guards and try to make them laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Hey all! (mostly english people!) I'm going to London on a class trip soon, and I figure I'd ask around if there was any tips you could share with me for interviewing? such as how to politely ask people if they want to be interviewed (Unless a "sir/madam would you mind spending 2 minutes for an interview with us" works).

Same goes to the general politeness.. Is it true tourists gain plus points if they end everything with "please" ?
    I don't think people can be overly polite. Until you go overboard to the point where you look like uncle creepy pedobear and start doing it to little kids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrias-Oaks View Post
    I don't think people can be overly polite. Until you go overboard to the point where you look like uncle creepy pedobear and start doing it to little kids.
    Well, considering here in Denmark being polite is something most of us are only to the dirt below our feet, it is a serious issue!

A person in general gets some bonus points if they end requests with please. Manners are always a good thing.

That said, you're more likely to find success with people who are waiting, sitting down somewhere, etc. You're less likely to find assistance with someone on the sidewalk because well...odds are good they're headed somewhere and we tend to have a quasi-Army personality of "hurry up and wait."

I'd definitely let them know in your opening sentence how much time from them you're asking for, it's polite. Also, try your best to stick to that time frame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by balatro View Post
    A person in general gets some bonus points if they end requests with please. Manners are always a good thing.

That said, you're more likely to find success with people who are waiting, sitting down somewhere, etc. You're less likely to find assistance with someone on the sidewalk because well...odds are good they're headed somewhere and we tend to have a quasi-Army personality of "hurry up and wait."

I'd definitely let them know in your opening sentence how much time from them you're asking for, it's polite. Also, try your best to stick to that time frame.
    Yeah, I hear about the time = money attitude everywhere I go and ask. Advice is duly noted

Deleted
    Christ, you're trying to interview people in public. In London.

Prepare to meet a brick wall I'm afraid, most people will stare at you awkwardly then hurry away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Christ, you're trying to interview people in public. In London.

Prepare to meet a brick wall I'm afraid, most people will stare at you awkwardly then hurry away.
    Hah, the solution is obviously to interview people who can't hurry away. *cough*

Deleted
    Don't forget to thank them for their time.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should definitely try interviewing people on the tube, they can't go anywhere and are always happy to chat.

Deleted
    As a commuter, do not interrupt us whilst we're on our way to transport. If we're in business wear then it's probably best not to ask questions. Try Cafe's and people sitting down.

Hah, the solution is obviously to interview people who can't hurry away. *cough*
    Or show up in a panda suit like your avatar, some ppl will even squeal in delight and do your interview, or they'll be too stunned to run away. Either way works imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazamaras View Post
    As a commuter, do not interrupt us whilst we're on our way to transport. If we're in business wear then it's probably best not to ask questions. Try Cafe's and people sitting down.
    Yeah, figured busy people are a big no anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrias-Oaks View Post
    Or show up in a panda suit like your avatar, some ppl will even squeal in delight and do your interview, or they'll be too stunned to run away. Either way works imo.
    Wouldn't surprise me if a classmate had a panda suit, but that'd be insane! We're actually trying to interview people, not scar them for life!

The advice I got was great already. Sure it might seem obvious, but I learned some things and it helped me get an idea of what to expect!

I will check again later to see if anyone add anything, until then.. Thank you for the answers

there's quite a few shops and pubs by the eye, people taking a break sitting on the stairs, that's a good spot.

Deleted

You should ALWAYS say please and thank you, good manners can open many doors. You never know who that random person you are being nice and polite to is.

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 10:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Take as many pictures as you can with the Buckingham Palace Guards and try to make them laugh!
    They are allowed to move and smile, but it is considered unprofessional to do so.