Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Are sites like Skill-Capped worth it?

Hi there,

This is just a quick question regarding sites such as Skill-Capped and Next level PvP and whether or not they are worth the small monthly fee. When starting a new class in PvP I feel it's nice to have some guidance as to how to maximise the class and so on and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find good guides for free on the internet. So, if anyone has experience with these sites would you say they're worth subscribing too? Or does anyone know of a free alternative where you can find a lot of good advice for PvP and such? I understand alot of players will think these websites are for 'fools' but to be honest I am struggling to find the kind of help these websites provide elsewhere.

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of free ways to find this information - video websites like youtube, other websites like arena junkies, reading PvP guides found on websites and even guild forums sometimes. I recommend searching for things like "wow pvp guide" / "wow pvp macros" / "wow pvp + how to burst" / etc. There is a ton of free info out there.

The best way to learn your class is to learn all of your abilities and talents, keybind as many useful abilities/macros as possible, and start practicing using those keybinds.
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

They may have been back in the day, but now adays they don't really seem worth it with all the arena players that have started streaming lately. On top of what Taiknee said, see if you can find a streamer that is the same class as you so you can watch to see what tricks you can learn watching them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to spend money on WoW that's not actually on WoW, you might as well go the whole hog and buy yourself whichever title or achievement you're after.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it is not. What class/spec do you play?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Yo,

my friend has a subscription at skill-capped and gave me his password. I only watch the class videos and mostly they just read the tooltip of an ability.
    And after you are done watching your class guide you feel like "Ok, thats all i also do when i pvp, why am i stuck at 1700 rating then ..."
    I never really watched the 3v3 videos, im to lazy to watch others play 20 min games. I rather play myself.

Its not that i would have never seen some good tip there. Also the vids are made with some effort and are nice to watch. But for me the expactation was bigger then what ive got in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    My experience was good there. For a mere 5 bucks i dont have to hunt around for the info. Its all right there packaged and presented very nicely. Its not like they want 100$ or anything.

Id reccomend you try it for a month and if you dont find it useful it was only 4.95. I mean c'mon you spend more than that on a coffee at starbs.
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Finding a top player at youtube is a better way

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

Not only are the videos most likely really limited, most of the things they show you in the videos I reckon are pretty basic stuff. And the somewhat good advice they DO give you won't be remembering at all while doing arena unless you're specifically focusing on that one thing.

I'd just watch livestreams and youtube videos while also doing arena yourself and experiencing stuff while asking advice from your partners.

There is probably some videos on there that people will find helpful, if it wasn't a good website it wouldn't still be running. Personally I like learning through experience and watching montages (they motivate me), I don't really like being 'taught' what to do.

It's all up to the viewer though. If you have the money and you're desperate to improve it might be worth it, if not, it's probably not worth it.

If money is not an issue, then definitely. However no video will get you high rated. Find 2 pplz, play, play, play, RAGE VS OP COMPS THAT FARM YOU, play, play, play and collect reward

Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    If money is not an issue, then definitely. However no video will get you high rated. Find 2 pplz, play, play, play, RAGE VS OP COMPS THAT FARM YOU, play, play, play and collect reward
    This is pretty much it.. In my experience, skill and knowledge of your class will only get you so far, it's the partnership (and of course class combo) that's the difference between the good and the great. The more you play with someone, the more you can anticipate their actions and the clearer the communication is.

For me personally what truly held me back in the beginning was positioning and situational awareness - knowing where your opponent's are, where your partner is, and where you need to be in order to be truly effective. Eventually, once you've played enough games, most of what you do will become reflex/instinct.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot for the advice guys, really good advice. I think the best thing to do for any new class/comp is just tonnes of practice, which will beat any instructional video I guess.

I found watching players on YouTube good enough in my experience. I was really shit but when watching them I picked up a lot and before I knew it using their tricks.

Even if you do sub to them its still gonna take some time on your part to be able to do it. From what I hear their videos are no different from what you get on YouTube. But if you really insist then give it a try. 5 bucks a month is nothing really.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    If you're going to spend money on WoW that's not actually on WoW, you might as well go the whole hog and buy yourself whichever title or achievement you're after.
    wanting to know how to PvP and wanting to earn a gladiator or 2200 rating are.... IMMEASURABLE different things. don't be such a negative tool bag, theres enough of those out there.

my 10 cents, arena junkies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    wanting to know how to PvP and wanting to earn a gladiator or 2200 rating are.... IMMEASURABLE different things.
    Both are free and take a lot of time, time he seemingly doesn't want to spend in game learning. Instead he wants to pay his way to victory and I gave the obvious solution.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

You only get good by playing yourself. WoW is all about knowing everything and having positional awareness.

And that is a hard fact.

Edit. It could help to your knowledge to frequent such sites, but then again there are stuff like WoWhead to spy other classes abilities and youtube/whatever else explaining most of the things for free. I believe that theorycrafting yourself is the most beneficial attribute one can have.

I remember when I sucked major dick in season 1 when it came to PVP but what does man have to do to improve? Spam games all day long. Suddenly, you play at 2k+ rating (TBC), 2,4k (wrath) and 2,7k (cata). herppaderp.
    Last edited by Thes; 2013-02-25 at 11:48 AM.

Some people don't know all the little tricks about their class (like keybinding judgement so you can use it on grounding totem and warrior's spell reflect), don't want to spend hours searching youtube for the vids they need to watch, or just don't know where to start and thus can't judge if someone is telling them to do the wrong thing on youtube/elsewhere. $5 a month is a fair price for these people and will help them greatly improve.

If you already know all these things, have addons, etc., you just need a ton of practice to improve. Sidenote, arena junkies is crap these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackflag421 View Post
    Some people don't know all the little tricks about their class (like keybinding judgement so you can use it on grounding totem and warrior's spell reflect), don't want to spend hours searching youtube for the vids they need to watch, or just don't know where to start and thus can't judge if someone is telling them to do the wrong thing on youtube/elsewhere. $5 a month is a fair price for these people and will help them greatly improve.

If you already know all these things, have addons, etc., you just need a ton of practice to improve. Sidenote, arena junkies is crap these days.
    AJ has been crap since mid wrath.. Even more so in Cataclysm.

They're not little "tricks" really either. They're solutions for an issue you might have. When you face a problem you should ask yourself what you can do about it.

skill capped is great,lots of info and help when needed.