Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    All weakauras gone

    Hey, i was making a new weakaura and my wow crashed, when it came back up all (100+ across many chars) were gone except the one i was trying to create. I opened up the WTF folder and found my WeakAura option in saved variables still had all my weakauras in so it seemed something was stopping it from loading.



    Is what my /w looks like, it won't let me delete that aura and every tab has error. I tried going into the file and deleting everything with Maelstrom in the name, but everytime i would they would come back.

    Does anyone have any idea?

    I have a lot of WeakAuras i've made over the past 6months+ so would really love if someone can help me resolve this. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Mechagnome Etapicx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    611
    Do you work with multiple WoW folders or different computers? I've never heard off the problem before and it indeed sound devastating look for WeakAura LUA/BAK files and WeakAura Option LUA/BAK files on your computer.
    Always choose a lazy person to do the difficult job!
    Why?
    He will find an easy way to do it.


    I'm schizophrenic and alone... at least I got each other

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Etapicx View Post
    Do you work with multiple WoW folders or different computers? I've never heard off the problem before and it indeed sound devastating look for WeakAura LUA/BAK files and WeakAura Option LUA/BAK files on your computer.
    No i do not, but i do have the file with all the WeakAuras in it, i can see them. However none of them will load, i feel it has something to do with the one i linked in the imagine above as i'm unable to delete it, i tried removing it from the Weakaura.lua but every time i do, it just re-appears

  4. #4
    Happened to me before aswell, but with other addons.

    For some reason, there seems to be a chanse that addons go corrupt as fuck if wow crashes when you fiddle with them.

  5. #5
    Whenever i delete the portion of the notepad file with the aura in it (Maelstrom) and open wow, they all re-create themselves. Does anyone know where this would happen?

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 03:22 PM ----------

    I've deleted everything remotely shaman related (the class i was making the aura on), reinstalled WeakAuras and now instead of seeing a broken weakaura upon login, it deletes the file.

    Example, before starting wow my WeakAura file is 751kb

    After exiting wow it's 1kb.

  6. #6
    My prays go out to you and your family. I hope you get this fixed soon.

  7. #7
    Dreadlord Byrogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    864
    Aaaand.. I just backed up my addons folder, sorry to hear this hope you get it fixed soon!
    Sell a man a fish, and he can eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and you lose a great business opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remnas View Post
    This guy could sell more Oxyclean than Billy Mays, and make you feel like a badass while using it.
    Priest - 14/14HM

  8. #8
    Mechagnome Etapicx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    611
    Sounds really weird try to contact someone in charge of WeakAura development.
    Always choose a lazy person to do the difficult job!
    Why?
    He will find an easy way to do it.


    I'm schizophrenic and alone... at least I got each other

  9. #9
    Had that happen before. tl;dr they're probably all gone, lucky for me I lost all my PowerAuraClassic ones so I swapped to WeakAuras and redid them all.

    Mine happened when my computer crashed and I had to reboot whilst WoW was open.
    Hakushi - Main Shaman - 573 Ele/572 Enh 8/8 HM DS (5% Nerf Spine/Madness), 7/7 HM FL, 6/6 HM MV, 6/6 HM HoF, 4/4 HM ToES, 13/13 HM ToT, 12/14 HM SoO
    Oxyra - Semi-Main DK - 558 Blood 6/6 HM MV, 6/6 HM HoF, 4/4 HM ToES, 13/13 HM ToT, 13/14 Normal SoO
    Not raiding with DK, currently in a 25man guild with Shaman.

  10. #10
    I have the auras in the file, i can see the weakauras but something is stopping them from loading in the text file. I don't know how these things are coded well enough to find out what's stopping it from loading.

    I don't know how to contact the devs either

  11. #11
    I had it happen once when importing a somehow corrupted aura. I fixed it by opening the weakaura file with a code editor (C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\XXXXXX\SavedVariables\WeakAura.lua), and deleting every trace of the corrupted aura. If you use a code editor you should easily see how it's its structure and delete the appropiate parts. Do a back up just in case.
    Last edited by Espada; 2013-02-25 at 07:17 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Espada View Post
    I had it happen once when importing a somehow corrupted aura. I fixed it by opening the weakaura file with a code editor (C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\XXXXXX\SavedVariables\WeakAura.lua), and deleting every trace of the corrupted aura. If you use a code editor you should easily see how it's its structure and delete the appropiate parts. Do a back up just in case.

    Thats the thing i dont know how to do, never used a code editor and dont know all the corrupter part. The aura i created were all related to shaman so you'd think it would be easy to remove everything but i couldn't do it just using notepad.

  13. #13
    I'm sure someone will come and recommend a better code editor, but try downloading notepad++. Look for the name of the aura you suspect is fucked up. The first line will be something like:

    ["name of the aura"] = {

    Delete everything until the next aura (it will be again

    ["name of the next aura"] = {

    And it should work. If not, you could try to copy all the auras one by one to a new .lua Don't know how many you have, but you will know which ones aren't corrupted that way.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Espada View Post
    I'm sure someone will come and recommend a better code editor, but try downloading notepad++. Look for the name of the aura you suspect is fucked up. The first line will be something like:

    ["name of the aura"] = {

    Delete everything until the next aura (it will be again

    ["name of the next aura"] = {

    And it should work. If not, you could try to copy all the auras one by one to a new .lua Don't know how many you have, but you will know which ones aren't corrupted that way.
    I tried that with just simple notepad but when i did, it would delete the entire file upon opening wow Removing the bad auras seemed to screw the whole file. I had backups ofc but it happened every time

  15. #15
    The issue that occurs if WoW crashes while writing addon settings is not limited to WA, but can happen to any addon. This is due to the way WoW handles SavedVariables (your stored configuration).

    When the interface is unloaded, the client loops through the SavedVariables names as listed in the TOC file, then formats the content of the globals with that name into valid Lua syntax and writes this Lua syntax into the SavedVariables files in the WTF folder you may be familiar with.
    Thus, on interface load, the client only has to load these Lua files as if they were scripts, re-populating the global variables with the saved values stored in valid Lua syntax.

    The issue here arises when the client unexpectedly dies while writing one of the SavedVariables files. This will cause the file to have incomplete Lua syntax (usually cut off in the middle of a table definition). When the interface is loaded for the next time, this will cause a syntax error to occur when loading the SavedVariable file, causing its content to be skipped for execution, leaving the SavedVariable(s) nil. For the addon, a nil SavedVariable indicates "first load", effectively resetting the addon's settings entirely.
    Finally, once the interface is unloaded for the next time, this default configuration will be written to the SavedVariables file, overwriting any portions of the previous settings that might've been left.

    Really, the only way to entirely prevent this from impacting you is to keep frequent (compressed) backups of your WTF folder contents. That way, you can simply replace the affected addon's SavedVariables file with the backed-up version to restore your configuration.

    EDIT: I typed this out in multiple chunks and while otherwise busy. If it's somewhat incoherent at some points, you now know why. Feel free to ask for clarification if necessary.
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-02-25 at 09:08 PM.
    UI & AddOns expert | Interface & Macros moderator - My work

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamhead223 View Post
    Thats the thing i dont know how to do, never used a code editor and dont know all the corrupter part. The aura i created were all related to shaman so you'd think it would be easy to remove everything but i couldn't do it just using notepad.
    I recommend Notepad++ (opensource from sourceforge) as a replacement for Notepad.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    The issue that occurs if WoW crashes while writing addon settings is not limited to WA, but can happen to any addon. This is due to the way WoW handles SavedVariables (your stored configuration).

    When the interface is unloaded, the client loops through the SavedVariables names as listed in the TOC file, then formats the content of the globals with that name into valid Lua syntax and writes this Lua syntax into the SavedVariables files in the WTF folder you may be familiar with.
    Thus, on interface load, the client only has to load these Lua files as if they were scripts, re-populating the global variables with the saved values stored in valid Lua syntax.

    The issue here arises when the client unexpectedly dies while writing one of the SavedVariables files. This will cause the file to have incomplete Lua syntax (usually cut off in the middle of a table definition). When the interface is loaded for the next time, this will cause a syntax error to occur when loading the SavedVariable file, causing its content to be skipped for execution, leaving the SavedVariable(s) nil. For the addon, a nil SavedVariable indicates "first load", effectively resetting the addon's settings entirely.
    Finally, once the interface is unloaded for the next time, this default configuration will be written to the SavedVariables file, overwriting any portions of the previous settings that might've been left.

    Really, the only way to entirely prevent this from impacting you is to keep frequent (compressed) backups of your WTF folder contents. That way, you can simply replace the affected addon's SavedVariables file with the backed-up version to restore your configuration.

    EDIT: I typed this out in multiple chunks and while otherwise busy. If it's somewhat incoherent at some points, you now know why. Feel free to ask for clarification if necessary.
    So even though i can see the auras in the file there is no way to restore them?

  18. #18
    If you can still see your auras in the file, then you're encountering an issue different from the one I'm describing. (Kinda my fault for not noticing that while skimming the OP.) Upload the file somewhere (pastebin.com works) and someone can take a look.

    EDIT: When you say there's "errors on every page", are there any Lua errors, too? Make sure "Display Lua errors" isn't disabled in the interface options.

    EDIT2: I've never really worked with WA, so I'm only grasping at straws here, too.
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-02-26 at 07:15 AM.
    UI & AddOns expert | Interface & Macros moderator - My work

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    If you can still see your auras in the file, then you're encountering an issue different from the one I'm describing. (Kinda my fault for not noticing that while skimming the OP.) Upload the file somewhere (pastebin.com works) and someone can take a look.

    EDIT: When you say there's "errors on every page", are there any Lua errors, too? Make sure "Display Lua errors" isn't disabled in the interface options.

    EDIT2: I've never really worked with WA, so I'm only grasping at straws here, too.
    Unfortunately there's a limit of 500kb on pastebin and my weakauras file is quite large (700kb) ElvUI usually tells me when i get LUA errors but will check again

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 02:16 PM ----------

    http://www.filedropper.com/weakauras This was the only place i could find that would let me go over the limit and supported .lua (Sorry i'm not very good at this stuff) the file is only 750 kb so should take 2 seconds to download if anyone has the time!

    Thanks again!

  20. #20
    I had the same thing happen to me. All you have to do is go into your lua file and remove anything that has to do with that aura that caused the crash. You will then get all your weak auras back. Hope it helped.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •