Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation Complicated Life VS Simple Life

This question irritates me a lot. I frequently think about this question and ask myself which would really make a person happier in the end.

For me I feel stuck in the middle. On one side I love college and learning, but, on the other hand, I want to get away from society. The unseen horrors of society can corrupt and dilute a persons mind;thus, robbing them of their purity and innocence. Returning back to simpler times would embrace more traditional values such a as modesty, honor, and respect.

One can have a simple life in society. I'm living one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    One can have a simple life in society. I'm living one.
    Disagree. Personally I believe that is a delusional thought. We are just subjected to too much living in a large society for anyone within the circle to be unaffected. We are constantly bombarded with commercials that tell us how to look, how to act, and how not to act. Subliminal messages in society are around every corner, and to say that you are not affected by them is a silly.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Disagree. Personally I believe that is a delusional thought. We are just subjected to too much living in a large society for anyone within the circle to be unaffected. We are constantly bombarded with commercials that tell us how to look, how to act, and how not to act. Subliminal messages in society are around every corner, and to say that you are not affected by them is a silly.
    Recognize, ignore, move on.

Environmental "indoctrination" is different than advertisers. Just because you can recognize you were born somewhere and it biases your views - doesn't mean you will continue to be biased by new things that occur and lap up the false information like a weak-minded sponge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simplicity in life doesn't have anything to do with outside influences like society. For me, a simple life is having a job, a roof over my head, and food in my belly, because those are the only things that truly matter to me.

Everyone's definition of a "Simple Life" is going to be a bit different. Some have more needs than others, some less. The song Simple Man sums it up. Be someone you can love and understand.

As for commercials, you can remove them from your life. I don't watch TV, I have adblock installed in my browser (though I disable it for sites like this that I support), and I simply ignore other advertising and see it for what it is, something that's meant for a weaker-minded person that's willing and WANTS to have others think for them. It's a choice. Everything is.
    Last edited by Vouksh89; 2013-02-24 at 09:41 PM.

Deleted
    It takes little to keep me happy. Good food, good company and a warm bed with someone to share it with, for these reasons I consider myself a simple man.

Its pretty easy to live a simple life in society.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Just because someone sees commercials does not mean they have to follow them. My husband and I life a simple life. We have technology and all that but we do not follow trends, we act the way we want to and we dress how we want to (I am a female that wears crocs, never wears make up and owns no dresses, I live in jeans and tshirts unless I am at work). We do not schedule every minute of our day and are happiest at home or with family. We have no children or drama.

I value modesty, honor and respect.

I have to disagree with this - as I'm the living proof that this is wrong.

I live in the Western Suburbs in Chicago, in a 5 floor condo and have plenty of friends.

Almost 15 years ago I canceled my cable television, and I've been fine ever since. The people around me do not influence how I think or dress. They may try. They may give me opinions. They may dress a way and play certain music. But I realize one thing... no matter what, I have control of my brain. If they do that, there's nothing saying I have to participate. If those people shun me for it... fine, I'll find new friends who don't. If they dress a certain way and I don't. Fine. I'll just be unique amongst them.

I've gone VERY simple lifestyle without EVER having to capitulate to any of the base societal "dreams/opinions". I do not drive a fancy car, I do not own a starter home/castle, I do not have kids (nor want them), I do not have the latest fashions or furniture, and I have NO DEBT. Hell - I even do radical things that many people to day don't do - like cook their own food! :P

Having a car, mortgage and credit card completely paid off is FAR more valuable to me than having all the TV-land trappings and being forced to work to pay off a lifetime of debt. What I have makes me far free of anything.

You want to escape the "society"? Turn off the damn TV and find alternative sources for your programming. instead of catching the latest episode of something, just wait for it to show up on Netflix a while later as a season package. If you want to talk with your friends about the show though - I suggest asking THEM to give you a copy that's commercial-free (chances are they'll record it or obtain it via other means).

One of my FAVORITE things I like to do is when somebody starts a conversation saying "Have you seen the commercial where..." and I immediately cut them off and say "Nope". The pride I get when they ask me the follow up question that's either "How can you not have seen it?" or "I didn't say what it was yet."

And that's the trick really. Reading what you're writing, you sound like you're letting yourself be influenced by your surroundings. Learn that the ONLY person who is in control of your brain is YOU. When you watch a show and it has too many commercials... you don't have to watch the show. Turn it off and find an alternative source or program.

Don't be a victim. Take control of your life. If the rest of society becomes zombies - don't become somebody you don't like, just enjoy your life your way and LOOK for friends who are like you and think like you.

You have internet access, music access, video access, and news access at the touch of your fingertips. You have MORE control over your own personal environment than anybody in the past 2 decades COMBINED has had.

If you really are interested in learning more, ask me serious questons. And I mean it - serious questions... not cynical ones looking for a victim-based response like "How can I deal with everybody around me who all watch the Cardassians (sic) and I don't?" I already answered that question: Find friends who do. :P

EDIT: You see - in many ways you are absolutely right. People are influenced by their surroundings... but what YOU are beginning to realize is that YOU HAVE CONTROL over your surroundings, and that's what people forget that they have. So, wake up and enjoy CREATING your world! Because you know what? When people see you enjoying your world that's not part of their own... many might actually take an interest and say "why are you so happy?" when their lives are miserable. And yes, that happens a lot to me. ^_^
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-02-24 at 09:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    If you really are interested in learning more, ask me serious questons. And I mean it - serious questions... not cynical ones looking for a victim-based response like "How can I deal with everybody around me who all watch the Cardassians (sic) and I don't?" I already answered that question: Find friends who do. :P
    When I first heard there was a TV series called "Keeping up with the Kardassians", I missheard it as Cardassians. As a Star trek fan I was very confused and thought it was a spoof star trek thing.

This question irritates me a lot. I frequently think about this question and ask myself which would really make a person happier in the end.

For me I feel stuck in the middle. On one side I love college and learning, but, on the other hand, I want to get away from society. The unseen horrors of society can corrupt and dilute a persons mind;thus, robbing them of their purity and innocence. Returning back to simpler times would embrace more traditional values such a as modesty, honor, and respect.
    Simpler times just meant you didn't hear about those horrors. Not that they did not occur. If all it takes is to not hear about it then why not move into the damn forest?

Nothing is stopping you from moving out in the forest and living on your own, I believe there are many who've done so already.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Nothing is stopping you from moving out in the forest and living on your own, I believe there are many who've done so already.
    Yea but in California they hunt those with drones...

Too soon?
    Im not sure if it is a sensitive topic - people seem rather indifferent about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    When I first heard there was a TV series called "Keeping up with the Kardassians", I missheard it as Cardassians. As a Star trek fan I was very confused and thought it was a spoof star trek thing.
    Same here... hence the (sic) ^_^

I will always think of that show featuring Gul'Dukat as a father ordering his siblings to be executed. :P

Well from ages its well know fact is that more inteligent u are that is harder for u to get rly happy about every aspect of ur life. Simple, good man - phisical worker, with wife, and one kid, doing just good with money they have, everyone are healty, kid is cool going to school with good stats. U are happy Simple as that. Now u are buisness man, know let say 3 languages, u are a part of some big company u are working hard for very good money. U have cute wife, and nice kids as well. But there is so many more things u have to care about when u are well placed, well born etc. The first guy needs, hot meal, kiss, and some money to be happy, his 10 yr old car is cool, and he dont need privite docs for plastic sugrgeons of his wife, or whitening teeths. Life is simple when u are simple man

Deleted
    This needs to happen, "Keeping up with the Cardassians" throw Garak and a bunch of other Cardassians in a small house and watch them all lie and betray each other. NEW STAR TREK AWAY!

Deleted
    Everything you percieve shapes who you are. That movie you watched? That conversation you had? Yes, -everything-. Being bombarded with information doesn't remove our purity, you just have more things to fill in the blanks. Does that make you complicated? Yes, but not in the bad way you describe it to be.

Also, what kind of "simpler times" are you talking about?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would prefer a simple life. I depends what you want to get out of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Returning back to simpler times would embrace more traditional values such a as modesty, honor, and respect.
    You seem to have a positively utopian idea of what society was like before all our current technological advances. Why exactly would the absence of technology and structure make people more modest, honourable and respectful? Looking at the history of the world, I would suggest that the opposite is true.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Deleted
    Who wants a simple life ? There is so much to see, so much to experience in our world. I choose the complicated life as a simple man before any other.