Credit Card info given to Blizzard has been hacked

So my mom just showed me her credit card record, and it shows multiple charges of $14.99 by blizzard on the same day 2/19, the day at which my account renews each month. Thanks Blizzard, now we're gonna have to go through all this crap. I thought the authenticator that I bought was supposed to prevent this? Oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would call Blizzard and make sure it wasn't a mistake on their end with billing rather than a stolen credit card or account compromise.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Give them a call, maybe hit the customer service forums on the actual WoW site.

Side note: Tziva, your sig just about made me spit my drink all over my monitor. lol

Were they only withdraws? Did it say they took it out, then put it back in, then took it out again? If there are multiple statements like what I just described, its nothing but a simple test some company's will do with a credit card to ensure the payment will actually go through. If all of the payments are done to blizzard, it was probably a bug in their system. Not a credit card hacking. Besides, even If your account was hacked, they can't get the full credit card information that they would need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Were they only withdraws? Did it say they took it out, then put it back in, then took it out again? If there are multiple statements like what I just described, its nothing but a simple test some company's will do with a credit card to ensure the payment will actually go through. If all of the payments are done to blizzard, it was probably a bug in their system. Not a credit card hacking. Besides, even If your account was hacked, they can't get the full credit card information that they would need.
    I think Blizzard's holds are usually a $1 but I'm not positive. In any case, this could be it. OP should definitely call them before they cancel the card or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmoe View Post
    Side note: Tziva, your sig just about made me spit my drink all over my monitor. lol
    I will pass that along to the witty warlock in my raid It made me laugh super hard too. He didn't miss a beat reacting to that typo.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Hey Darth, please contact us as soon as possible so that we can help you get this worked out. Blizzard will not be able to make charges on your card without your authorization - as the CVV on the back of the card is required at the time of the transaction, even from our own side (unless this was due to a recurring subscription). Our phone lines in the US are currently up:
    USA/Canada 1-800-592-5499 10:00 AM — 6:00 PM Pacific.

Please PM me if you would like the number for a different region, I'll be happy to assist!

So just an accident which caused the same transaction to process multiple times is not possible? Nope, it's the internet, whenever something happens you've been hacked.
    Be rational and call them before raging next time, it's just not worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Nope, it's the internet, whenever something happens you've been hacked.
    It's every plausible considering the average user knowledge of people using the internet. Besides, there are a bunch of people always spamming in trade chat selling mounts, pets..etc. that use stolen credit card information to do their transactions. Then blizzard nullifies/revokes said transactions after the complaints from the banks/users go through.

I have experienced a few charging errors in the past, they are rare though. I was charged $75 for gas once even though I payed $35. It was remedied 2 days later by the bank/merchant on its own. So as long as it doesn't overdraft your account in the process, I would raise hell if it did.
    Last edited by Laroux; 2013-02-25 at 09:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happened to me once, turns out there was a glitch in their billing system. They refunded EVERYTHING (even my real monthly charge) and gave me a two free months !

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthcullen View Post
    I thought the authenticator that I bought was supposed to prevent this? Oh well.

Your authenticator only provides an extra layer of security towards the Battle.net account login process. It doesn't protect against potential misrepresentation of your mother's credit card information to Blizzard nor does it protect you against getting phished anywhere else on the internet.
    Last edited by Nero Duskwind; 2013-02-25 at 09:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Happened to me once, turns out there was a glitch in their billing system. They refunded EVERYTHING (even my real monthly charge) and gave me a two free months !
    Yea I had the same thing happen to me. They accidently billed me 5 times at the same day. I got everything back and still had my month

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blue answered.
    OP is raging and severely naive.

This thread should be locked.

Maybe he has multiple accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by frequency View Post
    Blue answered.
    OP is raging and severely naive.

This thread should be locked.
    The OP has made one post and has every right to be annoyed I would hardly call that raging and I am not sure what is naive about not being happy about money being taken without permission.

Mistakes can be made what is important is how a company deals it when a mistake is made and credit where credit is due Blizzard seem to be dealing with this quickly and I am sure they will sort it out for the OP.
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-02-26 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The OP has made one post and has every right to be annoyed I would hardly call that raging and I am not sure what is naive about not being happy about money being taken without permission.

Mistakes can be made what is important is how a company deals it when a mistake is made and credit where credit is due Blizzard seem to be dealing with this quickly and I am sure they will sort it out for the OP.
    sorry but the time he spend on making this thread he could have just called them. its clearly that there went someting wrong. if he did call but no1 helped him. then he had all the right to rage. but people rage before even calling/finding out what/why it happend. and yes he is naive. because how in gods name can a authenticator
    prevent multiply sub money taken. and his mom showed her cc bill. and she didn't call blizzard or the bank her self. and don't know what age the op is. but if you ask there is someting fishy about it.... oh well....

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    sorry but the time he spend on making this thread he could have just called them. its clearly that there went someting wrong. if he did call but no1 helped him. then he had all the right to rage. but people rage before even calling/finding out what/why it happend. and yes he is naive. because how in gods name can a authenticator
    prevent multiply sub money taken. and his mom showed her cc bill. and she didn't call blizzard or the bank her self. and don't know what age the op is. but if you ask there is someting fishy about it.... oh well....
    I don't know where you get the OP is raging from he is clearly annoyed as anyone in his situation would be but his post is coherent and to the point. Although it was several years since I last had to call to Blizzard I am sure I spent longer on hold than it would have taken me to post on these boards. The OP, also, states that it is his Mother's credit card therefore it would be of no use for him to contact either Blizzard or her bank. Although by posting his issue here the OP has got a Blizzard employee dealing with his case I guess he did not bargain for people that are completely unrelated to Blizzard and have no idea what has happened offering their opinion that he is raging or there is something fishy going on.

Even if the OP's story is untrue it is naive to think that a company that has the amount of customers that Blizzard has, never experiences any billing issues and it is a credit to them that an employee has replied to the OP on a fansite with details of who to contact in order to sort this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I don't know where you get the OP is raging from he is clearly annoyed as anyone in his situation would be but his post is coherent and to the point. Although it was several years since I last had to call to Blizzard I am sure I spent longer on hold than it would have taken me to post on these boards. The OP, also, states that it is his Mother's credit card therefore it would be of no use for him to contact either Blizzard or her bank. Although by posting his issue here the OP has got a Blizzard employee dealing with his case I guess he did not bargain for people that are completely unrelated to Blizzard and have no idea what has happened offering their opinion that he is raging or there is something fishy going on.

Even if the OP's story is untrue it is naive to think that a company that has the amount of customers that Blizzard has, never experiences any billing issues and it is a credit to them that an employee has replied to the OP on a fansite with details of who to contact in order to sort this out.
    pls reread. i said why didn't the mother call the bank/blizzard is beyond me. i would always try to solve it my self before even think of sharing it with my kids. and nowhere did i say he was raging. i was just quoting you reply. and he don't have a employee dealing with the case because araxom is not from the billing department. he just showed him the way. and every company has billing issues. and 99,99% of the companys can/willing to solve it right away by just calling them. a forum is not the place to get stuff fixed. you call them if you want stuff fixed.. and if you need help to find the phone number of blizzards billing department you have toehr issues if you ask me....

and yelling on the forum there the cc info has been hacked while it has been send to blizzard before you even know for sure is just plain stupid. and if his moms cc info got stolen. the hacker would use it on the same day his account should be renewed to renew other accounts? yea right and i'm santa...
    Last edited by loki504; 2013-02-26 at 10:15 AM.