Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    [PC] Price worth it for the specs?

    So a while ago I made a thread about wanting to buy a new graphics card with a certain budget. But I decided I am going to work a bit more and get more money to just buy a fully built desktop. But, I have a few choises from which I'd like to know the advice. I will post the specs and the price and like to know if it's worth it or not. (Please respond with 'Computer A is better than Computer B' or any other equilivant)

    Computer A
    Price: €1200,-
    Specs:
    Intel Core i7 processor i7-3770
    12 GB DDR3
    1TB HDD
    AMD HD7870 2GB

    Computer B
    Price: €980,-
    Specs:
    S1155 Core i7-3770 3,4Ghz 8mb cache
    ATI 7850 2048mb
    16 GB DDR3
    2000 GB Sata II

    Computer C
    Price: €1480,-
    Specs:
    S2011 Core i7-3820 3,6Ghz 8mb cache
    GeForce 660 2048mb
    32 GB DDR3 (4x 8gb)
    2000 GB Sata II


    I'd prefer the cheapest one, but if Computer C tends to be the best 'worth for your money' I'd go for that one. I want a setup that will last me for a long while and play games and still look amazing (for example with Rift).

    ------------------------------
    NEW THREAD: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...5#post20334585
    Last edited by Gereorth666; 2013-02-25 at 12:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Money's worth depends entirely on how much you value money yourself.

    In my book, all 3 of those are too expensive and not worth the money.

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,338
    B will probably be your best option, looking at the price to performance ratio. A has a weird amount of RAM, it's often 8/16/32GB
    i5-4670k 4.2GHz | EVGA GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | 256GB 840 EVO | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Steelseries Rival | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8

  4. #4
    B is your best value from what you've posted. An extra 320 for an extra 4GB of RAM and a bump to 7870 is too much. I would put them in this order B, A, C. If it was a 660ti I might say otherwise.

  5. #5
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post

    Computer A
    Price: €1200,-
    Specs:
    Intel Core i7 processor i7-3770
    12 GB DDR3
    1TB HDD
    AMD HD7870 2GB

    Computer B
    Price: €980,-
    Specs:
    S1155 Core i7-3770 3,4Ghz 8mb cache
    ATI 7850 2048mb
    16 GB DDR3
    2000 GB Sata II

    Computer C
    Price: €1480,-
    Specs:
    S2011 Core i7-3820 3,6Ghz 8mb cache
    GeForce 660 2048mb
    32 GB DDR3 (4x 8gb)
    2000 GB Sata II
    Computer B for sure. The 7850 is just an underclocked 7870... The RAM and HDD size is worth it by itself.

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    by the way the hdd/ram is listed im going for that those builds are pre-builts?
    also no K series cpu = makes it a bad deal already if future matters tbh.
    if pre-built is what you are after just give us a site and we can see what we can make of it , however building self is recommended for better parts/use of money.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    B will probably be your best option, looking at the price to performance ratio. A has a weird amount of RAM, it's often 8/16/32GB
    B will also last long enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brachamul View Post
    Money's worth depends entirely on how much you value money yourself.

    In my book, all 3 of those are too expensive and not worth the money.
    It's more about the Money-Performence. Obviously if I didn't/did value money that much, I would go for highest/lowest priced spec.

    Could you also explain to why it's not worth that money? Any of them?

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 08:26 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    by the way the hdd/ram is listed im going for that those builds are pre-builts?
    also no K series cpu = makes it a bad deal already if future matters tbh.
    if pre-built is what you are after just give us a site and we can see what we can make of it , however building self is recommended for better parts/use of money.
    It's a Dutch site, so I am lucky you responded.
    http://www.hardwareoutlet.nl/product...groep/191.aspx This is where I am looking at. I am not realy that well known in building one myself, or where to do it the best. (maybe you could give me some advice?)
    I always bought pre-built desktops as that seemed the easiest to me.

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    if you can play with lego you can build a PC these days. (and combine it with a bit of common sense)
    the hardest part is to get the part selection right but that's where the forums are very helpfull for.
    else from the site you linked (http://www.hardwareoutlet.nl/product...EMO-MODEL.aspx) is a better choice , however the graphics card is not that great for newer games.

  9. #9
    It's not realy knowing how to put stuff into the computer itself, more at not knowing what specs fit together well enough. That's why I came here for advice.
    But would you suggest me to buy that one and maybe change the Card itself? Or..?

  10. #10
    Newegg Build a PC Tutorial P1
    Newegg Build a PC Tutorial P2
    Newegg Build a PC Tutorial P3

    I'm sure people like shroudster can help you pick out parts for a good build.

    You are right about pre-built being easy, but easy also costs you.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    if you can play with lego you can build a PC these days. (and combine it with a bit of common sense)
    the hardest part is to get the part selection right but that's where the forums are very helpfull for.
    else from the site you linked (http://www.hardwareoutlet.nl/product...EMO-MODEL.aspx) is a better choice , however the graphics card is not that great for newer games.
    I just want to add 2c here. Although it is quite easy to build a PC for some, it does take a bit of knowledge and things can go wrong. I built my first this weekend and having came from a computing background I knew what to expect. There were still some headscratching moments getting everything running for me in terms of some of the cables and the layout of the board and finally getting it to boot into windows (Thanks to Google, everything was fine).

    The fact that the OP is asking us to help him choose between 3 PC specs leads me to believe that his knowledge isn't all there (No offense, and correct me if I'm wrong). So although I would highly recommend building a PC in terms of getting value for money and control of what goes into it, I would express caution in doing so unless you have a good clue what to expect.

    Saying that, if you happen to have a friend/relative into PCs who could help you with it, build a system and see how your money goes so much further. It's rewarding, costs less overall, and frankly you'll feel like you've achieved something instead of just opening a box and shoving a power cable into it gleefully.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Newegg Build a PC Tutorial P1
    Newegg Build a PC Tutorial P2
    Newegg Build a PC Tutorial P3

    I'm sure people like shroudster can help you pick out parts for a good build.

    You are right about pre-built being easy, but easy also costs you.
    Thanks for those links, I will take the time to watch those.

    I am just not that good with knowing what the specs are. I know how and where to place the parts. What goes where etc. But.. That's quite useless if I don't realy know what I am actualy putting together.

    I thank everyone for the kind help they've given me so far.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 08:54 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    The fact that the OP is asking us to help him choose between 3 PC specs leads me to believe that his knowledge isn't all there (No offense, and correct me if I'm wrong). So although I would highly recommend building a PC in terms of getting value for money and control of what goes into it, I would express caution in doing so unless you have a good clue what to expect.
    No, you're right, and none taken. It's the reason I came here for advice.

    Aren't there maybe any sites that allow me to select me own specs and get a good build of it for it's money worth?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    It's not realy knowing how to put stuff into the computer itself, more at not knowing what specs fit together well enough. That's why I came here for advice.
    But would you suggest me to buy that one and maybe change the Card itself? Or..?
    Its fairly easy, look at some bare bones pre-builts and go from there, I'm sure if you post a budget and specs the PC needs to handle what you need and people are more than happy to have a sniff over your build after you've figured out what you should do

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    I am just not that good with knowing what the specs are. I know how and where to place the parts. What goes where etc. But.. That's quite useless if I don't realy know what I am actualy putting together.
    That's where the VERY knowledgeable people here come in. They pick out some good parts for your projected budget and you buy and build.

  15. #15
    didn't go thru all the specs, but 2 things:

    1. if you're getting a brand new system; don't settle for an hdd: it's ssd all the way. the performance difference will knock your socks off. looks like all your builds have only hdd's. don't let the amount of TBs and GBs on those hdd's get you all worked up. if there's no option for an ssd, go for a build with a smaller size hdd (hence lower overall price) and put the savings into adding an ssd.

    2. it's kinda minor, but get a build that comes triple-channel ram ready. what i mean is, they give you 3 ram modules instead of 2. it's minor and the increase in speed is minor (for now), but it's always bothered me that they throw in dual-channel ram setups into triple-channel architecture when it's so easy to just include 3 modules of ram at today's ram prices.

  16. #16
    So, alright.. I've been looking a bit around on the site I provided earlier.. Took some consulting from a friend (he's not an expert, but knows a few things). And it came down to this:

    Case: Coolermaster HAF 922 - € 89,50
    Motherboard: S2011 Msi X79MA-GD45 - € 209,95
    Processor: Core i7-3820 3,6GHz SKT2011 10MB CACHE - € 289,95
    HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm 64MB SATA3 (Sorry rnbwtrout, I am going for a regular HDD) - € 69,95
    DVD-reader: LG GH24NS90 (not very vital to list I think, but doing anyway) - € 22,95
    Graphics Card: PCI Express GeForce GTX 670 2GB Msi - € 379,95
    RAM: GB DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800 KIT Kingston HyperX (2 modules) - € 64,95
    Total: €1128,-

    Is this decent? Am I choosing the wrong stuff? Any tips?

  17. #17
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    So, alright.. I've been looking a bit around on the site I provided earlier.. Took some consulting from a friend (he's not an expert, but knows a few things). And it came down to this:

    Case: Coolermaster HAF 922 - € 89,50
    Motherboard: S2011 Msi X79MA-GD45 - € 209,95
    Processor: Core i7-3820 3,6GHz SKT2011 10MB CACHE - € 289,95
    HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm 64MB SATA3 (Sorry rnbwtrout, I am going for a regular HDD) - € 69,95
    DVD-reader: LG GH24NS90 (not very vital to list I think, but doing anyway) - € 22,95
    Graphics Card: PCI Express GeForce GTX 670 2GB Msi - € 379,95
    RAM: GB DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800 KIT Kingston HyperX (2 modules) - € 64,95
    Total: €1128,-

    Is this decent? Am I choosing the wrong stuff? Any tips?
    bad mobo/cpu combo. (6 cores are overkill for gaming anyway 4 cores are plenty already)
    if going normal HDD i'd say pick a black over a blue drive. (minor speed but blacks are more reliable/made to last longer)
    gpu is decent but you might also want to consider the 660Ti. (very strong performance and slightly cheaper)
    also the case is great to work in but not pretty imo. (yes i got one myself i know)

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    bad mobo/cpu combo. (6 cores are overkill for gaming anyway 4 cores are plenty already)
    if going normal HDD i'd say pick a black over a blue drive. (minor speed but blacks are more reliable/made to last longer)
    gpu is decent but you might also want to consider the 660Ti. (very strong performance and slightly cheaper)
    also the case is great to work in but not pretty imo. (yes i got one myself i know)
    Have you got any suggestions (actual hardware) that I should get instead?

    And I think the case isn't that ugly.

  19. #19
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Gereorth666 View Post
    Have you got any suggestions (actual hardware) that I should get instead?

    And I think the case isn't that ugly.
    well it just isn't that refined compared to say corsair cases. (personal taste however)
    for mobo/cpu i'd recommend to get a Z77 mobo paired witha i5-3570k. (something like this http://www.alternate.nl/html/product.../?tk=7&lk=4850)

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    well it just isn't that refined compared to say corsair cases. (personal taste however)
    for mobo/cpu i'd recommend to get a Z77 mobo paired witha i5-3570k. (something like this http://www.alternate.nl/html/product.../?tk=7&lk=4850)
    Seems like that is even a lot more cheaper? So is that the only change I should go through?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •