Deleted

Need help to build computer for video editing

I`am going to build me a new computer. It`s been a long long time since I have build my own, so I`am really outdated on what to get.

The programs that I`am going to use is Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Elements CS6
    I`am not going to use this computer to games, only video editing.

So, what to get?
    I have never overclocked any thing, but should I go for the Intel i5-3570K (and try to overclock this) or the i7-3770K ?

How does these ex look?

Ex1:
    i5-3570K
    MSI B75MA-P45
    Corsair CX 430W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze
    Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 16GB
    Gainward GeForce GT 630 1GB PhysX CUDA
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 120GB
    Western Digital® VelociRaptor 500GB 10000RPM,

Ex2:
    i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-V LX
    Corsair CX 430W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 120GB
    Western Digital® VelociRaptor 500GB 10000RPM

Or any other suggestions ?

Thanks!

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For video editing I would go with this

I7-3770k
    Gigabyte UD3H Z77 motherboard
    Coolermaster Evo 212 CPU cooler
    Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600GZ ram
    Radeon HD7850 from MSI,Asus,Sapphire or Nvidia 660 from MSI,ASUS
    For SSD I would go with the Samsung 840 pro
    Power Supply XFX 550pro
    I don't know much about the VelociRaptors I know people use to want them before SSD's came out not sure now days might just be better to get a WD caviar Blue 1TB and get a bigger SSD like a 220gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
    The programs that I`am going to use is Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Elements CS6
    I`am not going to use this computer to games, only video editing.

I have never overclocked any thing, but should I go for the Intel i5-3570K (and try to overclock this) or the i7-3770K ?
    What kind of video editing you're doing exactly, and how often? I mean how much simple cutting vs rendering effects, how long are the final clips, what resolution and source of files you're working on? All of that makes big difference for the recommendations, especially on HDD side of the build.

Also I hope you know there's about $400 difference between Premiere Elements and Vegas Pro.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

i7 for video editing, because the extra threads from hyperthreading will help performance. RAM is very cheap. Consider getting a 2x8GB pair, rather than 4x4GB, so you can expand and add another 16GB down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    i7 for video editing, because the extra threads from hyperthreading will help performance.
    Only by ~20% or so. Depending on the usage pattern there could be much better ways to spend that $100. If you're cutting a long movie for example that does not need any realtime fx previewing you'll get bigger benefit out of fastest possible discspace, not raw CPU power.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Only by ~20% or so. Depending on the usage pattern there could be much better ways to spend that $100. If you're cutting a long movie for example that does not need any realtime fx previewing you'll get bigger benefit out of fastest possible discspace, not raw CPU power.
    Well, that's certainly true. Without knowing precisely what he is doing, it's tough to give the perfect advice. That said, the systems he priced out are already equipped with some very fast drives. Yeah, he could drop more money to go all SSD, but that would cost quite a bit more than $100.

Wouldn't getting 32GB of RAM and use it as a scratch disk be something to consider?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    That said, the systems he priced out are already equipped with some very fast drives. Yeah, he could drop more money to go all SSD, but that would cost quite a bit more than $100.
    Again depends on the projects which is why I asked.

If it's for cutting a 2 hour movie, having two WD Caviars in a RAID0 + another WD green for storage is the way to go. But on the other hand if it's for doing 30 second clips that are basically layer upon layer upon layer with heavy digital effects then having 250GB SSD as a work disc (and 120GB for boot/apps) and i7-3770k overclocked would bring biggest benefit without the need to spend lots of cash on terabytes of storage.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Wouldn't getting 32GB of RAM and use it as a scratch disk be something to consider?
    With plenty of fx rendering yes, if simple cutting of very large video it gives very little benefit compared to raw disc speed (RAID0).
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Also I hope you know there's about $400 difference between Premiere Elements and Vegas Pro.
    - No, but thanks for the heads up! Can you recommend one over the other?

I`am not doing big films, or very long clips. Max time, about 10min, only going to make short action clips
    Using the GoPro Hero 3, and would like to use the 2K resolution.

---------- Post added 2013-02-25 at 08:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    And how do you do that? Or is something that the computer does on it own when you have much RAM ?

- No, but thanks for the heads up! Can you recommend one over the other?
    There's also consumer version of Vegas which costs about the same as Premiere Elements.

Four notable 'home' video editors currently available in alphabetical order are:

- Adobe Premiere Elements

- Magix Movie Edit Pro 2013, again comes in many versions, sadly no handy comparison here.

- Pinnacle Studio 16, check comparison chart for differences of the three versions.

- Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 (aka. Vegas 'lite'), there's also bit more expensive version of this with some bundled fx plugins and pro level audio editor if you think you'll need those.

One of these might come already bundled with the camera, but most likely older version. You can find free time-limited trial versions of all of these for trying out which you like best. For me Sony's product gives the best balance between good UI and features.

I`am not doing big films, or very long clips. Max time, about 10min, only going to make short action clips
    Using the GoPro Hero 3, and would like to use the 2K resolution.
    I've been lately working on some 5-15 minute live action clips recorded with regular cheap-ass 1080p HDV camera, and can say from personal experience that working on SSD is fucking awesome. Made my old 120GB disc a temp space for all things including the temporary video files alongside with 250GB boot disc and there's zero lag ever when going through the timeline at any speed or any direction which is something you really can't get with HDD. Other specs are 16GB RAM and i5-2500k CPU. Would say that 1-2 SSDs for work files and programs and 1 regular HDD for storage space would probably work best for you. Don't need VelociRaptors for anything. Discspace on SSD is no problem at all unless you want to work with uncompressed material for some reason.
    Trolling should be.

Would get a FX 8350 for the same price over the 3570k if you're sure you're never going to game on it for the threaded performance.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Would get a FX 8350 for the same price over the 3570k if you're sure you're never going to game on it for the threaded performance.
    Another option would be PhenomII x6 1090T which pulls about equal performance to FX8350 in video editing tasks. Both of those are slightly better than i5's if gaming is never gonna be on the table, and better value for money than i7. X6 1090T could be surprisingly cheap since it's getting really ancient now.
    Trolling should be.