Page 50 of 84 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    "What do Republicans have to do to become relevant again?"
    Rep. is a dead party. However, not for most of the reasons listed here. They don't actually believe what they say. They talk a big game about less taxes, small government, but when they're in power, they're basically democrats with a negative media image. If they 'truely' want to get back into power, they need to quit acting like Democrat Lite, nominate some real conservatives that talk the game, and live it when in office. Quit pandering to the other sides base, and focus on their own.

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay, more on Rush Limbaugh:

Take a step back. Ask yourself "is it a good thing to have Rush Limbaugh as an icon of the Republican party?"

It doesn't matter if you agree with him, if you listen, or find him entertaining - at the end of the day, he's not a good role model, and by extension, he's not good for the Republican brand.

Is Oprah Winfrey a good role model? Yes. Is Michelle Obama a good role model? Yes. Do women all across the country look up to these people? Yes. Would a hispanic woman ever look up to Rush Limbaugh? Or Michele Bachmann? Probably not. That's the problem.

Rush might have a lot of good things to say, but that doesn't make him a good icon or image for the party.
    Last edited by Blacksen; 2013-02-25 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSageCorban View Post
    Rep. is a dead party.
    No, they're only brain dead! And people seem to be arguing that brain death is still viable. I kid, but the Republicans are disappointing me these days.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    He had anencephaly.

Most mothers are given the option of aborting if the fetus is diagnosed with this, because the condition is invariably fatal, usually after only a few days after birth. So I'm really not sure what your argument is, here. There's a pretty significant movement that does argue that anencephalic babies are effectively dead, due to the lack of cortical activity.
    then why was he given a birth certificate and granted all the rights as a living human being if he was not one ? then doesn't it shot holes in your argument that a fetus isn't a human because of the lack of you criteria your give of being human one is voluntary brain function
    I know it imposes a conundrum that makes you question your own argument on what is human and what criteria is required to be considered human

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksen View Post
    Is Oprah Winfrey a good role model? Yes. Is Michelle Obama a good role model? Yes. Do women all across the country look up to these people? Yes. Would a hispanic woman ever look up to Rush Limbaugh? Or Michele Bachmann? Probably not. That's the problem.
    *Insert Clinton Joke here*

edit before I leave work: I listen to Rush, and Glenn. They're pretty entertaining, and sometimes insightful. (mostly too gloom and doom as of late.) But I also watch Rachael Maddow and Chris Mathews on occasion. I just happen to side more w/one side more then the other. Doesn't mean I won't listen to what the other side says.
    Last edited by GreatSageCorban; 2013-02-25 at 10:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    then why was he given a birth certificate and granted all the rights as a living human being if he was not one ? then doesn't it shot holes in your argument that a fetus isn't a human because of the lack of you criteria your give of being human one is voluntary brain function
    I know it imposes a conundrum that makes you question your own argument on what is human and what criteria is required to be considered human
    What is an illegal abortion? Will making abortions illegal, stop them? Will making guns illegal, stop them? As stupid as many people think the population is, they see this dichotomy of the Republican Party.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    They should probably stop doing shit like this:

https://montanafesto.wordpress.com/2...mmittee-chair/

A prominent tea party Republican in Montana posts a device on facebook designed to kidnap the president. It's a box trap with a watermelon inside....
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    then why was he given a birth certificate and granted all the rights as a living human being if he was not one ?
    You can get a birth certificate in many parts of the US even if your baby was stillborn. And when it comes to issues like medicare and the like, they err on the side of generosity, not on trying to deny someone's humanity.

That doesn't mean his parents couldn't have had him aborted late-term, which is the usual way it's handled.

then doesn't it shot holes in your argument that a fetus isn't a human because of the lack of you criteria you give of being human one is voluntary brain function
    No, because what this shows is that if they fail to pass that requirement, they're a person, but they're brain-dead, which means they're arguably deceased. Brain wave patterns on an EEG are signs of life, not humanity. Prior to showing that, the fetus isn't a living being.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Please, again, for the last time before I put you on ignore, read what I wrote and not what you think I wrote. I did not assume anything. Contraception can break, yes. Please look at the number of unwanted pregnancies vs the number of times a contraception has failed. It's so small that it's a non-issue.

I did not imply sex was only for baby making. You implied that. A baby is one result of sex. For future reference, assume I imply nothing. If I make an assumption, I will say it.
    Your analogy of abortion to dumping a bunch of viruses into your arm and then cutting the arm off made it sound like pregnancy is something that is always wanted and then later regretted. You were very absolute in this, and since by your own words, you imply nothing, then we can safely say that all unwanted abortions are a result of someone willfully getting pregnant (dumping virus in their arm) and then later not wanting it (cutting the arm off).

You seem very offended when people make counter points to your points, and the only thing you can really come up with is people "put words in your mouth" or are ignorant or something else, and get very offended when someone disagrees with you and makes a valid point of it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Jesus, I can't believe you guys are engaging in an abortion debate.

Guess what? If you engage in debates about abortion, you are what's wrong with the Republican party.

It's been FIFTY YEARS SINCE ROE V WADE - it's fucking over. The policy isn't changing. You fucking lost. Get over it.

Even just talking about it implies that it's a "contentious issue," which isn't the case - it's a settled and done issue. When you frame it otherwise, you're making yourself and the Republican party appear anti-progress.

10+ Year Old Account

Guess what? If you engage in debates about abortion, you are what's wrong with the Republican party.

It's been FIFTY YEARS SINCE ROE V WADE - it's fucking over. The policy isn't changing. You fucking lost. Get over it.
    It's much better to discuss when life begins. Next, we will debate what happens after you die, as justification for euthanasia. I crack my self up...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Both you and Rush (and most of the country, apparently) appear to have comprehension issues.

Fluke didn't need it, a friend of her's did.

My comprehension is fine:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...l?ref=politics

"Fluke, a third-year law student, said that Georgetown Law, a Jesuit institution, does not provide contraception coverage in its student health plan and that contraception can cost a woman more than $3,000 during law school. She spoke of a friend who had an ovary removed because the insurance company wouldn't cover the prescription birth control she needed to stop the growth of cysts."

"I'm an American woman who uses contraceptives," Fluke said, when asked Thursday by Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., about her qualifications to speak on the issue.

She's qualified to speak about birth control, but has no idea you can get a $4/month generic prescription from a long list of national retailers? I know about those prescriptions, and I'm not even a woman nor have I ever purchased birth control pills in my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    My comprehension is fine:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...l?ref=politics

"Fluke, a third-year law student, said that Georgetown Law, a Jesuit institution, does not provide contraception coverage in its student health plan and that contraception can cost a woman more than $3,000 during law school. She spoke of a friend who had an ovary removed because the insurance company wouldn't cover the prescription birth control she needed to stop the growth of cysts."

"I'm an American woman who uses contraceptives," Fluke said, when asked Thursday by Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., about her qualifications to speak on the issue.

She's qualified to speak about birth control, but has no idea you can get a $4/month generic prescription from a long list of national retailers? I know about those prescriptions, and I'm not even a woman nor have I ever purchased birth control pills in my life.
    Her friend's prescription was for a med that cost over $100/month. You can't always just get the generic cheap stuff.

Like I said; try actually reading up on it before posting. And regardless, how does any of that justify publicly slut-shaming her on national radio?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Did you just question her qualification to speak on the subject, that you bolster in having no experience with?

You can get a birth certificate in many parts of the US even if your baby was stillborn. And when it comes to issues like medicare and the like, they err on the side of generosity, not on trying to deny someone's humanity.

That doesn't mean his parents couldn't have had him aborted late-term, which is the usual way it's handled.

No, because what this shows is that if they fail to pass that requirement, they're a person, but they're brain-dead, which means they're arguably deceased. Brain wave patterns on an EEG are signs of life, not humanity. Prior to showing that, the fetus isn't a living being.
    then the mother could have killed him with out being charged with murder because you cant kill what is already dead right?

Would a hispanic woman ever look up to Rush Limbaugh? Or Michele Bachmann? Probably not.
    Why would you say that? Are they now racist?

As a racist, how is Michelle a good role model?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq5lb5e5yVY

Hell, she hated America before she got in charge of it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYY73RO_egw

There are more, just search youtube of the Obamas making many racist remarks.

Why isn't John Steward nixed from the Democrats? He's not a good role model. Here's my point: These people aren't put there by the party and can't take them out of office - they aren't in an office and have no control over that person. They remain popular because a lot of people share the same opinions as these people, whether they're racist like Michelle, or make common sense mistakes like Rush did in assuming a person who wants ALL contraceptives (not just the medicinal purpose people) to be free and paid for by tax payers is not using them for copious amounts of sex. People share those opinions and some guy at the Dem/Rep headquarters can't dictate people identifying with them.
    Last edited by cutterx2202; 2013-02-25 at 10:47 PM.
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

10+ Year Old Account

Like I said; try actually reading up on it before posting. And regardless, how does any of that justify publicly slut-shaming her on national radio?
    It's this shaming that made her stand out. Rush made her, where if it were not for him, no one would know who she is. Her qualification, is being the attention of the number one radio host.

Even just talking about it implies that it's a "contentious issue," which isn't the case - it's a settled and done issue. When you frame it otherwise, you're making yourself and the Republican party appear anti-progress.
    It took 13 years to over turn prohibition in the US. Some things are worth fighting for.

10+ Year Old Account
    then the mother could have killed him with out being charged with murder because you cant kill what is already dead right?
    In theory, yes. The usual response is to abort. There's a fairly significant movement that is pushing to have anencephalic babies deemed to be dead officially, so that their organs may be used for transplants.

I'm not sure where your difficulty is, here. The child was born brain-dead. They managed to get the body to carry on for three years. I find that more than a little disturbing.
    Last edited by Endus; 2013-02-25 at 10:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah, I found a nice way to get at what I'm trying to say. Take a look at this picture:

Now, if I told you that a Republican posted that picture, but is denying it, who would you side with?

Compare that to if I told you a Democrat posted that picture, but is denying it, who would you side with?

That difference is what's wrong with the Republican party. It's not clear if Jennifer Olsen (Montana GOP Leader) posted that picture or not, but that's not the point...

The point is that you believe Republicans have a higher tendency to be racist, which is damaging to their brand.