Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why doesnt the US ever have cool military parades?

Was looking through youtube and came across some old USSR military parades and also some from China. They are just badass to watch. If we have the best military why dont we ever do cool parades? Id love to watch a bunch of troops marching with a bunch of tanks, APCs, and mobile nukes behind them.

Something like this:

Last edited by Lilly32; 2013-02-27 at 01:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Was looking through youtube and came across some old USSR military parades and also some from China. They are just badass to watch. If we have the best military why dont we ever do cool parades? Id love to watch a bunch of troops marching with a bunch of tanks, APCs, and mobile nukes behind them.
    ummm... maybe our troops are busy using that stuff and dont have time for the parades?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    ummm... maybe our troops are busy using that stuff and dont have time for the parades?
    didnt realize we were at war with anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id love to watch a bunch of troops marching with a bunch of tanks, APCs, and mobile nukes behind them.
    To my knowledge the US does not have any truck-mounted (or otherwise mobile land-based) launch systems for nukes, so that might be difficult :P

As to why you have no parades: Don't know, I guess no one ever deemed it necessary? Might be hard to justify spending extra money on parades these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen, military nationalism has pretty much plummeted in the US since the Vietnam War. I doubt that such widespread support will come about again unless the US enters a defensive war.

Why have parades when you can have campaigns

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    From what I've seen, military nationalism has pretty much plummeted in the US since the Vietnam War. I doubt that such widespread support will come about again unless the US enters a defensive war.
    Good.

Countries shouldn't feel the need to show off their abilities to kill millions of people.

The United States has them in other nations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the only thing it would result in is more peons shouting about how much they hate the military and want it abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    Also this. We paraded all over Iraq and Afghanistan.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    didnt realize we were at war with anyone.
    I hope thats a joke. Because, as the rest of the world knows, the US runs on war.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd expect a parade on Veterans Day or 4th if July but I guess not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    Brilliant!

15+ Year Old Account
    The United States did do things like that in the past : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOTMhER_50

There really isn't a need for something like anymore with modern technology. All they have to do is film their normal training exercises and it has the same effect on the people. That they see the force that their military is using to defend the people. You will still see Military units participating in various Parades around the country with vehicles sometimes but it is mostly just Veterans or Squads in dress uniforms.

There are also Open Base events around the Country that basically have "local" displays of stuff. It would be cool just to see all the weapons and stuff in one place and moving. I always enjoy seeing Army or National Guard convoys heading down the Interstate just cause it looks cool to see the matching trucks and sometimes trailers with the heavier equipment in one big line.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-02-27 at 01:55 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The last thing the US needs is more military nuthuggery. Down that road lies fascism.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because the us is actually actively work/'protecting', other countries try to show their 'military' might with these fancy shows. The us does not need to do these fancy shows, we are able to show our real militarism.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

It would cost too much to ship it all back here form our bases that are everywhere in the World but here.

15+ Year Old Account
    We have parades. But they are a different way to show off the strength and discpline of the Military. We show off strength when the Military host's airshows. I'm not talking about blue angels doing tricks. I'm talking about military planes doing several passes at low altitude so people see them not just sitting on the ground. Discipline in the form of Post Change of Command ceremonies or graduations. They do them, just not the same flamboyant(showy or gaudy) way other countries do them.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Parades are expensive, yet impotent, displays of military power.

We prefer much, much more expensive and spectacular displays of military power, like launching a million tons of ordinance on primitive tribesman.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The last thing the US needs is more military nuthuggery. Down that road lies fascism.
    This was my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The United States did do things like that in the past : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOTMhER_50

There really isn't a need for something like anymore with modern technology. All they have to do is film their normal training exercises and it has the same effect on the people. That they see the force that their military is using to defend the people. You will still see Military units participating in various Parades around the country with vehicles sometimes but it is mostly just Veterans or Squads in dress uniforms.

There are also Open Base events around the Country that basically have "local" displays of stuff. It would be cool just to see all the weapons and stuff in one place and moving. I always enjoy seeing Army or National Guard convoys heading down the Interstate just cause it looks cool to see the matching trucks and sometimes trailers with the heavier equipment in one big line.
    Depending upon the base in question some bases do have open days. For example here at FT.Riley we have the apple days holiday, where we open up the base to civi's and they can see helicopters and tanks on display. Here at my airfield we have actually sponsered concerts and MMA fights in our hanger for MWR events. These events are open to the public.

We do some parades here just not to often, at the town right outside of base we have the 4th of july parade and a brigade will do about a mile parade through the main street.

---------- Post added 2013-02-26 at 08:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    We have parades. But they are a different way to show off the strength and discpline of the Military. We show off strength when the Military host's airshows. I'm not talking about blue angels doing tricks. I'm talking about military planes doing several passes at low altitude so people see them not just sitting on the ground. Discipline in the form of Post Change of Command ceremonies or graduations. They do them, just not the same flamboyant(showy or gaudy) way other countries do them.
    Good point, as much as i HATE change of command ceremonies, they would be a good example for the civis to see D&C in action.