Windows memory limit

I just installed an extra 16GB of memory and ran into an unexpected problem with my Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium system - my version of windows won't recognize more than 16GB of memory.

I didn't realize that until today, because it wasn't really mentioned in all of Microsoft's Windows 7 version comparisons. It was in the details, which weren't relevant for me at the time.

Anyway, my question to the forums is:

Is there a way to bypass the 16GB memory limitation without upgrading?
    I know Windows 8 doesn't have that limit, so, alternatively, how (awful) is Windows 8 to use on a daily basis, and for running WoW?

Thanks in advance!

-- Van

PS: I got the extra memory because it was cheap, and more memory = more fun. Upgrading to Windows 7 pro would be fine at $20, but not at $90 (which is more than what I paid for the extra memory).
    Last edited by Vandexander; 2013-02-25 at 05:14 AM.

Windows 8 is fine, it's technically a small performance boost over 7 however the UI does have a bit of a different feel to it so it may take you a couple days to get used to it. There is no way to bypass the limit on Windows versions short of acquiring a different version.

Also it's nit picky but before someone insults you for it I almost guarantee you mean GB not MB.

10+ Year Old Account
    I upgraded to Windows 8 pro for $40, and spend $5 on Stardock's Start 8, which makes it work just like Win7 and XP does, just faster and cleaner.

Sounds like it would be cheaper to do that for you then buy a copy of Win7 Pro.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Nope, your choices are Pro or Win 8 if you want to play games like WOW.

I have been using 8 since it was released so I am not sure what you mean about it being awful for wow or use. I haven't had any issues with it running any games including WOW. I think people are just overly attached to the start menu.

Very few things are any harder to do in Win 8 and this is coming from a guy that prefers linux but is stuck with windows for games.

Just upgrade to Windows 8 and get a start menu replacement.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Any suggestions on the best way to get a cheap upgrade to Windows 8? This is a system I built about 10 months ago, and my Windows 7 didn't include any Windows 8 upgrade deals.

Zulandia: Thanks! Fixed the original post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandexander View Post
    Any suggestions on the best way to get a cheap upgrade to Windows 8?
    you could watch the LinusTechTips live stream, they've been giving away copies of 8 for the last few weeks, but otherwise the cheap deals on 8 are all but done afaik

10+ Year Old Account
    PS: I got the extra memory because it was cheap, and more memory = more fun
    What do you do that needs more than 8gb RAM, let alone 16gb? "More Fun" isn't very descriptive, but it sounds like you're just trying to shove more ram into your system for no reason. The easier solution instead of getting Win 8 is... dont.. upgrade?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What do you do that needs more than 8gb RAM, let alone 16gb? "More Fun" isn't very descriptive, but it sounds like you're just trying to shove more ram into your system for no reason. The easier solution instead of getting Win 8 is... dont.. upgrade?
    I think you missed my point. I'm asking for advice on how to make use of it, not on whether to get it or not. I already have the ram, and it's already installed.

Also, "fun" is a deliberately vague term. The memory is there because I want it to be there, and because more is MORE!!! Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    The best solution then, is to sell it. it doesn't help you, and all the other options cost you money.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The best solution then, is to sell it.
    Great! How much you wanna pay for it? :-)