1. #1

    [Mage] Stop DPS on the Boss - in 5.2

    I'm playing arcane, and have been practicing a scorchless rotation. Finding it quite smooth.

    Problem I've got is that in some fights, there is a boss and adds and raid leader calls stop dps on the boss (to avoid double boss cooldowns etc).

    In 5.2 - the only way I can stop DPS on the boss is to stop dps altogether as I'll be having to cast ABar to reset stacks, and it cleaves.

    What's the recommended solution to this problem ?

  2. #2
    Switch spec.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotfix View Post
    Switch spec.
    To Frost if you want to be specific. It's the only spec you can still DPS with and not cleave.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  4. #4
    You just have to make sure not to glyph icelance and your bombs all cleave.

  5. #5
    Legendary! Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    6,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    To Frost if you want to be specific. It's the only spec you can still DPS with and not cleave.
    That's weird, I didn't know Pyroblast, Fireball, and Combustion cleave without IB...

    Plus, most Frost Mages are going to use Ice Lance glyph because they don't really have much else (besides WE and IV), unless it's a fight that calls for no cleave.

    Retired Veteran Raider: [T14] 10/16H, [T15] 12/13H, [T16] 7/14H
    FFXIV Stuff: i96 WHM/i94 SCH/i84 WAR/i83 BRD; T1-4, Garuda/Titan/Ifrit Xs

  6. #6
    Use evocation, it consumes your charges. In my test evocation+haste build is much better than rop+mastery|haste

  7. #7
    Moderator Shangalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    1,911
    Focus an add and continue as usual. One Barrage hitting the boss for 50% damage isn't a tragedy. If the raid leader is good, he knows that everyone won't or can't stop dps and will call to stop at least several million before.

  8. #8
    Warchief Akraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    2,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    Focus an add and continue as usual. One Barrage hitting the boss for 50% damage isn't a tragedy. If the raid leader is good, he knows that everyone won't or can't stop dps and will call to stop at least several million before.
    I would like to emphasize the latter portion of Shangalar's response.

    In my heroic raids I always add a buffer for DPS stop-calls because I know x% of my raid has issues like this. If your raid leader isn't doing this, it would be constructive criticism to approach him about changing it and adding a few hp% to a callout.

  9. #9
    Legendary! Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    6,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    I would like to emphasize the latter portion of Shangalar's response.

    In my heroic raids I always add a buffer for DPS stop-calls because I know x% of my raid has issues like this. If your raid leader isn't doing this, it would be constructive criticism to approach him about changing it and adding a few hp% to a callout.
    I love being the callout guy but not having to be the raid leader

    Retired Veteran Raider: [T14] 10/16H, [T15] 12/13H, [T16] 7/14H
    FFXIV Stuff: i96 WHM/i94 SCH/i84 WAR/i83 BRD; T1-4, Garuda/Titan/Ifrit Xs

  10. #10
    scumbag dps it up bro, if everyone is stopping thats more dps you get to do

  11. #11
    Moderator Shangalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    1,911
    So far the only boss where we actively had to stop dps was Amber Shaper Un'Sok Phase 1, I wanted to maintain 6 Charges all the time so I just refreshed Blast every time it was about to fall off and dps-ed the little ambers when they were up along with the shapechanged tank.

  12. #12
    Legendary! Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    6,517
    Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    scumbag dps it up bro, if everyone is stopping thats more dps you get to do
    And then push the boss to Phase X because you wanted to pad meters, getting the whole raid and/or raid leader to yell at you and make you feel like shit for your next pull.

    Great plan you got there

    Retired Veteran Raider: [T14] 10/16H, [T15] 12/13H, [T16] 7/14H
    FFXIV Stuff: i96 WHM/i94 SCH/i84 WAR/i83 BRD; T1-4, Garuda/Titan/Ifrit Xs

  13. #13
    Field Marshal Lenarific's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    95

    Awsome :)

    Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    scumbag dps it up bro, if everyone is stopping thats more dps you get to do


    Just Over 10

  14. #14
    gotta take risks if you want those ranked parses, rite?


    on a serious note, just dps ever so slowly to keep stacks up. maybe run into melee and start using explosion? as a moonkin "stop dps" means "get 1 cast away from lunar eclipse". make sure you intimately know why you're stopping and when the boss is going to push, don't use dots, and work with the numbers. some times, though, "stop dps" does really mean "stop dps" in which case you afk and pick your nose like the rest of us peasant classes - poor mages
    Last edited by crunk; 2013-03-05 at 12:35 AM.

  15. #15
    Arcane Explosion would have been the better choice.. does way less than a six-charge Blast. =)

  16. #16
    Moderator Shangalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    1,911
    True but Explosion is impossible to miss and in "stop dps" cases, Blast's lack of design/sucky spell effect is useful for once

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    That's weird, I didn't know Pyroblast, Fireball, and Combustion cleave without IB...
    IB is a crucial part of the Fire rotation, not using it would cripple your DPS. The whole point is to continue DPS'ing without cleaving.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Plus, most Frost Mages are going to use Ice Lance glyph because they don't really have much else (besides WE and IV), unless it's a fight that calls for no cleave.
    How is glyph of Ice Lance an issue? You know ahead of time that you'll have to stop and don't want to cleave. Just take out the glyph, the universe isn't going to implode if you don't run with 3 major glyphs.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    True but Explosion is impossible to miss and in "stop dps" cases, Blast's lack of design/sucky spell effect is useful for once
    well explosion does negative damage on 1 target so if you explain your class situation to your raid lead you shouldn't have to be "sneaky" about it. comparing to moonkin again, after i explained to my raid leader why i was still casting starfires on a spine amalg (to set up solar burst for tendon) he was fine with it. if youre in a guild of smart players he should understand. like i said, just know %s and get comfortable with the raid damage so you don't pull an oopsie and they'll thank you later for keeping good damage.

  19. #19
    I remember comparing my unwanted splash damage on ambershaper to our frost DK's Howling Blast and deciding I don't actually have any problems :P.

  20. #20
    Dreadlord Cycobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a tree
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    And then push the boss to Phase X because you wanted to pad meters, getting the whole raid and/or raid leader to yell at you and make you feel like shit for your next pull.

    Great plan you got there
    Padding meters/maximising uptime doesn't lead to pushing the boss if you're a good player

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •