Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Time for an upgrade!

Got my taxes back and got a bonus at work. You know what that means? Time to upgrade!

I'm looking to upgrade my computer in any way possible.

Here's a look at what i have right now
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G850 @ 2.90GHz (2CPUs), ~2.9GHz
    Memory: 4096MB
    MB: MSI MS-7788
    Graphics: GeForce GTX 460 v2
    PS: 450W Antec
    Currently running 64 bit Windows 8

Now, I'm looking to only spend around 400$ upgrading. Not every piece has to be upgraded, obviously prioritize the ones that would more greatly affect my performance in games.

A little guidelines of what I'm hoping to be able to do with upgrades

Play WoW smoothly at Ultra Settings
    Playing D3 Smoothly at Highest Settings.
    Be able to record(Not stream) games with decent settings.

I'm currently using 2 monitors.
    1920 x 1080 (32bit) (60Hz)- AOC 2251w
    1366x768 (32bit) (60Hz)- Generic Non-PnP Monitor.

I'm looking forward to any suggestions and the vary of options you guys have. If you need any further information, just post asking about it. Price I'm looking for is around 400. Can go up if needed or lower if you can upgrade cheaper, but i'm expecting to see me needing to spend more.

Thank you!

Edit: Posted this from an iPad and just realized it was in somewhat wrong place. Move as needed. Sorry.
    Last edited by Galilei; 2013-02-25 at 06:33 AM.

z77 mobo and i5-3570k and an SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post

Haha, thanks!

Was looking for more detail, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    You've got an H61 motherboard, so with that budget you really can't afford a new GPU, CPU, AND motherboard. How much ram do you have? You can go about this a couple different ways.

1) Full upgrade now. It's the second best CPU (best being i5-3470K, but will run about $130 more between cpu and cooler and new MB) and a very respectable GPU

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.79 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($167.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $356.77

2) Minor upgrade now, save some money, get awesome later.

Get this now:
    PCPartPicker part list
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $244.99

And save up another 150-200 and get this later:

PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $296.97

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 10:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Way outside his budget, won't run wow smoothly.

I should point out.. The 460 is still a respectable card. I just upgraded from mine just a few months back. And the G850 is, while a bit weak, still considered a 'budget' gaming CPU. Those things are worth money. You could likely sell that as a bundle of CPU, MB, GPU, and recoup some of the costs.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-02-25 at 06:56 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    tbh a mobo/cpu/cooler overhaul is likely a better upgrade in order to have a future base to expand further from. (gpu mostly/ssd)
    i'd say get chazus's option #2 but in the other order. (mobo/cpu/cooler first and add a new gpu later down the line)

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You've got an H61 motherboard, so with that budget you really can't afford a new GPU, CPU, AND motherboard. How much ram do you have? You can go about this a couple different ways.

1) Full upgrade now. It's the second best CPU (best being i5-3470K, but will run about $130 more between cpu and cooler and new MB) and a very respectable GPU

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.79 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($167.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $356.77

2) Minor upgrade now, save some money, get awesome later.

Get this now:
    PCPartPicker part list
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $244.99

And save up another 150-200 and get this later:

PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $296.97

---------- Post added 2013-02-24 at 10:53 PM ----------

Way outside his budget, won't run wow smoothly.
    Now this is a good response. With that CPU and video card, how big of a difference am I looking at? Also, wouldn't that video card need 500W power supply instead of my 450? Also, my budget is 400, but I can go higher if its for the sake of performance.

I have 4gb ram.

10+ Year Old Account
    With that CPU and video card, how big of a difference am I looking at?
    Honestly, pretty significant. I upgraded from an E7500 and nVidia 460 last November. Your G850 is slightly better than my old E7500. I upgraded to a i5-3570K, however I don't have it overclocked. A stock 3570K is the same as a 3470. I went with the 660, which is on par with the 7850, but more expensive (ATI hadn't dropped prices so much at the time)

Basically what I'm saying is... Your computer is about what mine was at, and the first upgrade is about where mine is at now, and I pretty much run Ultra with no problems in WoW.

The first option will let you play games quite happily (I'm of the opinion that people running older systems are more easily pleased by mid range systems like I am)

The second option would be worth it, however would cost more. It may last you longer as well, though.

Also, wouldn't that video card need 500W power supply instead of my 450? Also, my budget is 400, but I can go higher if its for the sake of performance.
    Naw. Both those setups wouldn't break 300w. The '500w recommended' is just a liability thing from the sellers and manufacturers. They don't know what power supply you'll use, but you said you had an Antec 450, and those are pretty reliable.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Honestly, pretty significant. I upgraded from an E7500 and nVidia 460 last November. Your G850 is slightly better than my old E7500. I upgraded to a i5-3570K, however I don't have it overclocked. A stock 3570K is the same as a 3470. I went with the 660, which is on par with the 7850, but more expensive (ATI hadn't dropped prices so much at the time)

Basically what I'm saying is... Your computer is about what mine was at, and the first upgrade is about where mine is at now, and I pretty much run Ultra with no problems in WoW.

The first option will let you play games quite happily (I'm of the opinion that people running older systems are more easily pleased by mid range systems like I am)

The second option would be worth it, however would cost more. It may last you longer as well, though.

Naw. Both those setups wouldn't break 300w. The '500w recommended' is just a liability thing from the sellers and manufacturers. They don't know what power supply you'll use, but you said you had an Antec 450, and those are pretty reliable.
    Sweet deal. Right now my setup can run WoW on ultra 25 mans with about 20-30 fps. I don't run on ultra in, 25 man, just trying to give an example. I'm not looking for a super human computer, just to upgrade a little since I have a good amount of spare money after bills and what not. I will be upgrading the rest of my PC soon, just trying to push out a major upgrade while I have the cash.

If the first option is as good of an idea as you say, ill probably go head and do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either option is a good one.

I should mention... Your motherboard MAY need a bios update for the new CPU. I'd check that out first, before getting anything and popping it in. Technically, it can support a 3570K, but it can't overclock, making that model moot. Normally I would suggest a 3350P as the 'non overclocking cpu" but the 3470 is like.... $8 more. It's marginally better, but for marginally.. The price of a couple sandwiches is worth it.

Either option is a good one.

I should mention... Your motherboard MAY need a bios update for the new CPU. I'd check that out first, before getting anything and popping it in.
    Is either better than the other? And I have no clue how to do that....

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had a GTX 460 (currently a GTX 680), and even with an i5 2500k it had a rough time doing D3 at max settings. Specially when you have a bunch of mobs and some spells flying all over. Obviously swapping your Video card would take most of your budget even to step up to a GTX 560. The MB-CPU suggestion is likely your best route.

I compared CPU's to yours, and your looking at the $300 range to do your motherboard and CPU to get 75%+ increase. (rough numbers guess from AnandTech benchmarks)

I came across this bundle on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1198424

Here is the kicker, if you buy them separate you can get a free set of decent 8GB of ram, your 4GB isn't lacking size wise, but likely in the speed factor. That will put you in the $325-350 bracket.

At about $430 you should be able to squeeze in this. This will give you an over all boost to Windows and if you only install WoW and D3 on it, you should be ok space wise, using your old hard drive as storage and primary program install point.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=20-148-528

My only concern would be if replacing your MB will trip the Windows registration, and you will have to call to activate and pray they don't expect you to pay for a new Windows key.
    Cairne, my brother, I will avenge your death, Magatha Grimtotem and her followers will pay with their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev2Tall View Post
    I had a GTX 460 (currently a GTX 680), and even with an i5 2500k it had a rough time doing D3 at max settings. Specially when you have a bunch of mobs and some spells flying all over. Obviously swapping your Video card would take most of your budget even to step up to a GTX 560. The MB-CPU suggestion is likely your best route.

I compared CPU's to yours, and your looking at the $300 range to do your motherboard and CPU to get 75%+ increase. (rough numbers guess from AnandTech benchmarks)

I came across this bundle on Newegg.

Here is the kicker, if you buy them separate you can get a free set of decent 8GB of ram, your 4GB isn't lacking size wise, but likely in the speed factor. That will put you in the $325-350 bracket.

At about $430 you should be able to squeeze in this. This will give you an over all boost to Windows and if you only install WoW and D3 on it, you should be ok space wise, using your old hard drive as storage and primary program install point.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=20-148-528

My only concern would be if replacing your MB will trip the Windows registration, and you will have to call to activate and pray they don't expect you to pay for a new Windows key.
    First half I understood. 2nd half you lost me. And the 8gb doesn't come with the bundle, even though its part of one of the items?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galilei View Post
    First half I understood. 2nd half you lost me. And the 8gb doesn't come with the bundle, even though its part of one of the items?

The RAM comes when you buy the MB, the bundle is a different offer, when you go to the MB page itself you will see the offer for the RAM.

An SSD makes Windows and whatever you install on it load faster. I had my doubts until I made the upgrade and I was shocked. At 64GB though you will really only have room for Windows, WoW and D3. you wanna leave some room for WoW to grow.

Whenever you install Windows on a PC it takes ID numbers of the parts in your computer, usually MB, RAM, and HDD. It uses this to make sure it is only being installed on one PC. So swapping them can make your Windows key no longer work. When you call in to support you tell them what you did and they usually reactivate your key, unless you get someone on a bad day, then you have to pay all over again.
    Cairne, my brother, I will avenge your death, Magatha Grimtotem and her followers will pay with their lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is the kicker, if you buy them separate you can get a free set of decent 8GB of ram, your 4GB isn't lacking size wise, but likely in the speed factor. That will put you in the $325-350 bracket..
    I'm not sure where this free 8gb of ram is hiding, unless it wasn't linked.

However.

Do not get this combo, under any circumstance. Biostar motherboards are trash. Like, literally bad. Stupidly high DOA and lower than average MTBF rates. Not only that, but there are better motherboards for cheaper.

Ah, I get it now. Regardless, to not buy. For $120 you get a bad motherboard and $40 in ram... Whereas you could spend $115, get a good motherboard and ram.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-02-25 at 08:20 AM.

The video card is still plenty for his needs. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand what really drives FPS in modern games.

Get the Z77 motherboard and the 3570K. Use your 4GB ram you have now and the GTX460. Cas Latency matters more to performance than raw RAM speed. And going from 1333 to like 1600 definitely wouldn't make almost any difference.

I have a Radeon 5830 which is almost identical in performance to the GTX460. When I upgraded from a Q9550 to a 3770K (which in gaming performs pretty much identical to the 3570K), my raw fps in WoW pretty much doubled using the same card. Blizzard games are very CPU dependent, actually. And if you really have to, sacrifice higher AA levels, as the visual improvements from high levels of AA are so minor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157306 -- Asrock Z77 board $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504 -- Core i7 3570K $230

Run it stock for now, if you like as it's still plenty powerful. Or if you want to try doing an overclock to like 4.2-4.4ghz right away, get something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106150 -- Thermaltake Frio $48 after MIR.

This leaves you in a good position for further upgrades in the future. And theres no worries about the PSU not being adequate for a more powerful GPU.

Trust me, upgrade the core system, not the GPU.

Future upgrades can then include:
    Samsung 830 Pro Series or OCZ Vertex4 128GB SSD ($100-120)
    8GB Cas7 DDR3-1600 Kit ($80)
    New PSU/GPU
    Last edited by stellvia; 2013-02-25 at 08:38 AM.

There is no need to replace that motherboard right now with such a tight budget, it supports up to 3770k with a BIOS update and it would be much wiser to just buy a new CPU and GPU.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    There is no need to replace that motherboard right now with such a tight budget, it supports up to 3770k with a BIOS update and it would be much wiser to just buy a new CPU and GPU.
    I suppose that's true he could actually forgo the new mobo and go for a new GPU. But what could he get that will run on 450W and be worth upgrading from a 460? A 650ti isn't all that hot, and like a Radeon 7850 would be close on the PSU I think.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I suppose that's true he could actually forgo the new mobo and go for a new GPU. But what could he get that will run on 450W and be worth upgrading from a 460? A 650ti isn't all that hot, and like a Radeon 7850 would be close on the PSU I think.
    I'm running my system fine on a 450W PSU. He can pretty much run any GPU he can afford if his current PSU is of good quality.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I just don't see the point in having him spend money on another mid/lower-mid range GPU when the 460 is only 2 years old and is plenty for WoW/D3. The 460 was the recommended performance/value card for people building systems when FF14 was first launching, for example. And that game took far more GPU power than WoW does.

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I just don't see the point in having him spend money on another mid/lower-mid range GPU when the 460 is only 2 years old and is plenty for WoW/D3. The 460 was the recommended performance/value card for people building systems when FF14 was first launching, for example. And that game took far more GPU power than WoW does.
    Well he either spends money getting a new GPU which can give him from 50-100% better performance in GPU related tasks or he can spend money getting a new motherboard which would give him about 0% increased performance in any task.

With his around $400 budget he could get something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $404.98
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-25 03:56 EST-0500)

Technically a 7870 is overkill for WoW even at ultra but it would last him a few expansions or make him able to play other games at really high settings as well should he choose to.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-25 at 08:58 AM.