Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure who suggestioned a 650ti.

With the budget, either option of the 3470 CPU, or the 3570K/MB, would allow for at least a 7850, or a 7870 XT. Both those cards are pretty nice, and can kick the crap out of a 460.

Yes, WoW depends heavily on CPU, but it doesn't ignore the GPU, and having a nice GPU -will- make part of the difference.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Or the shocking choice: Buy the 3570K and put the rest of his money back into the bank until he can buy a proper upgrade.

I hate half-measures. You have to upgrade more often, and only get somewhat adequate performance for the money you spend.

I'm not saying to save up $500 for a GTX680 or anything, but I just don't see the point in spending the entire budget amount unless it's actually put to good use. That 3350P can't be overclocked, while the 3570K can go to 4.4ghz+ on non-outrageous cooling.

Buy a real CPU that can be overclocked then. Put the rest away until you want to overclock and get more legs out of it, or buy a proper better GPU. (Sapphire cards are garbage build quality)

Yes, WoW depends heavily on CPU, but it doesn't ignore the GPU, and having a nice GPU -will- make part of the difference.
    I run WoW on a 120hz LCD on Ultra settings on a 5830 and get 120-250fps. CPU matters a lot. GPU for WoW ... not enough to warrant an upgrade for a half-measure IMHO.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2013-02-25 at 09:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or the shocking choice: Buy the 3570K and put the rest of his money back into the bank until he can buy a proper upgrade.
    A 3570K would leave him with a 460 video card, which while workable, becomes a bottleneck.

I hate half-measures. You have to upgrade more often, and only get somewhat adequate performance for the money you spend.
    Neither of the suggestions (3470/7850, or 3570K/7870XT) are 'adequate'. They're pretty dang good for the cost.

I'm not saying to save up $500 for a GTX680 or anything, but I just don't see the point in spending the entire budget amount unless it's actually put to good use.
    The entire budget, and then some, is being put to good use.

Buy a real CPU that can be overclocked then. Put the rest away until you want to overclock and get more legs out of it, or buy a proper better GPU. (Sapphire cards are garbage build quality)
    Just because a CPU isn't an OC one, doesn't make it bad. And while Sapphire is not my favorite brand, you can't deny the cost/performance of the 7870XT.

unfortunately, some people don't have as much money to blow on computers as you do, it feels like.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Clearly I'm advocating "blowing money" by telling him not to spend it unless it would be a worthy performance boost.

I qualified that my video card is equal in performance to the one he has, and I also play WoW and have more than adequate FPS out of it with the equivalent CPU he would buy. IE: To play WoW/D3 on High he doesn't need a new GPU at all. He only needs the CPU.

So in the end, I'm advocating he spend $230 on the 3570K for now. Then if he still feels the performance wasn't adequate for some reason, he can consider getting a 7870 or such. Then 1-2 years from now he could look into getting the Z77 board to OC the CPU if he so chose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    So in the end, I'm advocating he spend $230 on the 3570K for now. Then if he still feels the performance wasn't adequate for some reason, he can consider getting a 7870 or such. Then 1-2 years from now he could look into getting the Z77 board to OC the CPU if he so chose.
    This just seems wasteful. You first said you hated 'half upgrades' and then say to get a 3570K, which has no performance benefit over the 3470.. And THEN if he decides to OC, get the board? That means that if he doesn't OC, he wasted $40 on the K CPU, and if he does OC, he'll have wasted $40 in the time spent waiting/deciding that could have been spent right then.

Either way, I think it's just a silly way to go about it. The 3470 is a powerful CPU on it's own. Yes, the 3570K has more power, but it will still play games VERY well.

Not only that, but sticking with the 460 just seems like a poor choice mainly on the fact that WoW does benefit from a better GPU... And WoW is not the only game out there. It'd be nice to play other games down the road well.

Buying a CPU that has a base speed of 3.1 and Turbos at 3.3 vs one that is 3.4 Turbos to 3.8 and you can OC it later to 4.4+ to extend its life another 1-2 years. By the "he so chose" I meant that when the performance seemed to wane a bit. It would probably be more like 3 years, honestly. The few dollars difference between them isn't worth losing the ability entirely.

Down the road is down the road. He said WoW and D3. The next game he wants to play could be a year down the road. In which case that $170+ he saves can buy him a 700-series GTX card that are supposed to be 30-40% more powerful than current gen cards.

Waiting never hurt anyone. He doesn't have to buy everything at once, or right now for that matter.

Appreciate all the replies, a lot of interesting things to consider.

As of right now, my plan is to go with Chazus's first option in his earlier posts as it seems like it could be the best way to go.

Haven't made my final decision yet, so anyone who wants to post and chip-in their suggestions, go right ahead.