Thread: 7950 artifacts

Deleted

7950 artifacts

It's once again time for me to ask you guys for some advice.

I've been using a stock gigabyte 7950 (wf3) for a while now. I had no serious complaints until this weekend. It really did treat me well.

And then... I started getting artifacts in both WoW and NFS:MW. This graphics card is running all stock speeds/voltages, and has never been attempted to OC in any way. I guess this image makes for the closest resemblance, although it wasn't that extreme the entire time. Still, it ended up being pretty bad.

Having recently purchased it, I can just go RMA it and stick my old GPU in the rig for a few weeks, but I figured I wouldn't enjoy using a 6670 for a few weeks. I got spoiled. Real quick.

I figured I'd try different drivers first, and see if that solved anything. Ended up trying the 13.2 beta release that's listed on AMD's website. I didn't have any artifacts after doing that, and have been able to play several games with expected performance. No artifacts, at all.

A normal person would be happy with that result. I am, however, expecting it to die on me any second and it's not exactly giving me peace of mind. Google searches resulted mostly in "On a non-OC card, that generally means it's dying on ya" - paraphrased.

Should I still expect this card to have issues? Should I RMA it? Should I just wait and see what happens? Can graphic drivers generally fix these types of issues?

Any insight is welcome!

Oh, I should mention the card never reached any extraordinary temperatures. I haven't seen it go above 70C, and I was experiencing these issues at around 50C. (At least, that's what GPU-Z claimed after alt tabbing.)

I would just keep on using it, if the problem starts again then you can think about sending it back.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I would just keep on using it, if the problem starts again then you can think about sending it back.
    What are the odds of it coming back though?

Or rather: What are the odds that a driver change fixes these issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    What are the odds of it coming back though?

Or rather: What are the odds that a driver change fixes these issues?
    Sometimes fixing driver issues can solve artifacting, what the odds are of this happening I would want to guess on :P

There is no way to really say how big chance there is that you would have these issues again. Sending the card back when there might not be a problem with it can potentially costs you some money and I don't think it is worth the risk when it is currently working fine. You probably have 2 years of warranty so if there is an issue it will most likely show itself again within that time frame.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450