Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Do you consider yourself an elitist or a casual and explain your concept of each?

Often in heated conversations conserning people's opinions of certain topics on this forum you will see buzz words thrown around like casual, elitist, entitled, etc.

How would you lable yourself in terms of your style of game play and how you express yourself?
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Those terms are always thrown around as people basically saying "not me" and trying to insult said people. There have been many posts on the terminology differences, and the final result has always been that everyone has different definitions.

The issue is that there is a ton of overlap, and most people fall in the middle of that overlap.

10+ Year Old Account
    I consider myself an elitist casual. Meaning when I play a game I learn everything I can about my class so I can play it to its full potential. But I don't play every single day or raid 5 nights a week.

Elitist and casual are not bad words when used correctly.

i'm casual, i play for fun, never gonna be famous or make any money at it so screw it. still a drag to play with crappy people but no use in nerd raging at them.

I think Im somewhere in the middle. Currently raiding on two toons. My lock is 8/16 in a super casual guild, and my brewmaster is 15/16 (no empress yet) and 3/6 HMSV. Blizz seems to say very few guilds have killed any hardmode bosses so not sure if that pulls me out of the casual category.

When Wow becomes a second job, its too much.

Deleted
    Nonfictionless
    I consider myself an elitist casual. Meaning when I play a game I learn everything I can about my class so I can play it to its full potential. But I don't play every single day or raid 5 nights a week.
    You basically said what I wanted to say. /hi5

Quote Originally Posted by boseguy22 View Post
    I think Im somewhere in the middle. Currently raiding on two toons. My lock is 8/16 in a super casual guild, and my brewmaster is 15/16 (no empress yet) and 3/6 HMSV. Blizz seems to say very few guilds have killed any hardmode bosses so not sure if that pulls me out of the casual category.

When Wow becomes a second job, its too much.
    there are servers where the number 60 guild on the server has some form of heroic MOP boss down. so the people slinging numbers to support lack of heroic mode raiding are highly overstated.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Elitist turned casual who still doesn't understand why people wouldn't try to be as skilled as possible.

Casual

Why? I don't schedule my self to Raids/RBGS and Arenas, and I only play when I feel like playing. I don't have much of a commitment to the game, I play it strictly for fun when I have time.

10+ Year Old Account
    The insulting terms, "elitist" and "casual", just exist in players' mind. We should all get rid of this nonsense.
    Nothing and no one is entirely white or black, everyone is grey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Elitist turned casual who still doesn't understand why people wouldn't try to be as skilled as possible.
    I very much agree, just because you're a casual player doesn't mean that you automatically suck. Well, some casuals do, but so do some raiders.

I think it's annoying that "casual" gets thrown around meaning "bad player" though. Skill is completely separated from how much you play.

The funniest part is when you're doing a random dungeon and some guys full with epics start to joke about you because you're not as geared, until you see them dying on easy bosses.

Casual: Someone who plays games in smaller amounts of time due to real life requirements. Not necessarily bad players, they just play less. Some games and their player-bases have twisted this word a bit into something somewhat demeaning.

Elitist: Someone who is usually pretty good at what they do, but look down on "less able/experienced" players, usually about things they can and can not get. Kinda goes into the same area as the "entitled", except elitists usually have the skills or status to back up their words. Entitled people usually do not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I am an elitist but I really don't understand the term. I get that games are supposed to be a casual hobby and fun. But do people play the first level of Megaman over and over again and die repeatedly and find that fun? Or did they try to get better to progress. Are the terms indicative of time spent playing? Seriousness about learning your class? Desire to improve?

To me being an elitist is a way to be casual enjoyer of the game.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I consider myself an informed casual.

Casual vs hardcore is all about the time you dedicate and how much you sacrafice to see content (real life obligations, playing with people you'd rather not, etc.)

You can be an elitist casual, elitist just means you think you're the best, you know it all and anyone that knows less than you is scum.

Elitist doesn't mean you're even good at the game. It's all an attitude. Most of the best players I've met are super nice and friendly because they have humility. If you think you're the best you leave no room for improvement. Once you accept that you suck you can start to get better.
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2013-02-25 at 03:46 PM.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I consider myself unsubscribed

But I'm not really an elitist just because I'm not good enough to be, I have no problem with admitting that. When I am subbed to WoW I play enough to be an elitist, I'm just not doing elitist things.

To me the game is more about solo play and making my own fun. I'll join up with groups and stuff if I feel like doing something I can't do on my own, but only ever as a Tank or Healer, I never DPS in groups.

Deleted
    Casual - does not play to a schedule, or does not devote large amounts of time to the game. Gameplay is not central to them.

Elitist - people who think they are superior and who think that other people should be denied parts of the game, because they do not measure up to some fictional standard the elitist has created, usually to try to self justify the excessive amounts of time the elitist is dedicating to the game.

remember, casual and elitist have nothing to do with skill or ability. Despite people often implying that they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose I'm a casual player. I define being casual as simple to do with one's time they can commit to the game. It had nothing to do with skill or one's desire to min max.

Elitist on my own behalf. I love to perform good, but don't really care much about others performance, as long as they're being nice.

Only exception for me is when i see druids only using rip/rake. That's simply too much to handle for me, and i've seen it way too often
    The amount of druids using shred is almost none-existent in my pugs.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    I would consider myself a casual, i used to play a lot some years ago. I personally don't see casual as an insult, it simply means you don't invest as much time in the game. I do read up on elitist jerks and arena junkies on how to play my class in pve/pvp respectively and try to do my best with what little time i have and for me this works well.
    Elitist and casual are in my opinion no expressions for skill, there are a lot of people claiming they are elitist and don't know shit and a lot of very good casual players.

Casual.

Never stepped into a real raid since wotlk, lfr-geared, don't arena/rbg unless there's a pug.

Also, no set playing time, almost never cap valor/conquest, and is tooling around with a shaman alt at 17.