Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was a pretty snobby elitist in my earlier gaming years but now I am the casual my past self would laugh at.

Uh...well these two terms don't even refer to the same thing, really, an elitist is a know-it-all that may or may not in fact know everything about the game, they are usually just a jackass.

Casual simply refers to someone who doesn't play as much as someone who is hardcore, a casual player very well could be the best or the worst player in the whole game. It has nothing to do with skill whatsoever, simply time invested into the game. The vast majority of players I would say are casual, to some extent, even some 16/16 heroic guilds with ranked players could classify as casual, IMO.

Anyways, I would consider myself as a casual semi-hardcore player. I don't play a lot, I raid about 9 hours a week which really isn't all that much but enough to get somewhere and three nights of raiding is just right for me. I take my raiding time seriously and want to do the best I can, raiding is a team event, not an individual event, so I feel if I can't perform my best I'm only keeping everyone else down and wasting people's time, and all I want to do is raid with 9 or 24 other people with the same mindset and I'm happy, which is unfortunately very hard to come by.

Whether or not I get irritated by people's performance or lack thereof really depends on the situation, I expect a lot more out of someone who has been doing raiding content since vanilla or TBC like myself then someone who is a newer player to the game and never really had much experience. I think a lot of veteran players take that experience for granted. But, I know I could always improve my performance and I make, mostly minor, mistakes quite more often than I'd like to admit, but I don't like raiding with people who are severely under-performing that have no reason to be doing so badly, if you're in a heroic guild and have been playing the game for years you should have the knowledge and resources to do well, and it's amazing how many people have simply been carried through so much content by people that put the work into getting the progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Promark View Post
    Does that mean you feel it is hardcore, or it is not? I think 3-4 nights could go either way, depending on the guild.
    how many hours a night?
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

I`d consider casual who doesn't play often, that does not mean they are bad and I am tired of people using "being casual" as an excuse.

I consider elitist to be an attitude to consider yourself better than others.

You can be both, and casual doesn't mean you can't do heroic raids. I know people who log on a couple times a week just for the raid and don' t show up until the next week, they don't play a lot but they know what they're doing. I would consider myself a casual elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    I`d consider casual who doesn't play often, that does not mean they are bad and I am tired of people using "being casual" as an excuse.

I consider elitist to be an attitude to consider yourself better than others.

You can be both, and casual doesn't mean you can't do heroic raids. I know people who log on a couple times a week just for the raid and don' t show up until the next week, they don't play a lot but they know what they're doing. I would consider myself a casual elitist.
    I would argue that a person who logs on for two hours a week and clears all the heroic content would be far from casual bordering on inhuman.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    I would argue that a person who logs on for two hours a week and clears all the heroic content would be far from casual bordering on inhuman.
    Yes I agree.

As i said, you can log on a couple times a week and do heroic content. That doesn't mean the duration of each log in is one hour, I was referring to raid days. It also wouldn't also be all heroic content in a week, I meant heroic progression.

An elitist is someone who thinks they are better than everyone else.

A casual is someone who plays casually.

Neither term represents someones play-style.

I play casually, but I do try to draw the most out of my characters. Does that make me a casual elitist?
    (Note: I don't think I'm 'better' than most. I do think I am more driven to perform well than most. It's a matter of priority; I personally feel good about trying to better myself.)

Casual with very semi-elitist overtones.

When I was playing, I had absolutely no problem with the idea that there was content that I didn't have the dedication to complete.... and will stand by the fact that there should be a portion of content that is very challenging and remains that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really a fan of either term in general use because as this thread amply demonstrates people have different definitions of what it means. Neither word really addresses skill and competence although many of those that I see that would label themselves as being elite players have it as an article of faith that it does.

And maybe that's the primary difference.

Personally, I'm very casual. I don't play that many hours a week. I'm not really a fan of progression raiding although I've enjoyed it in the past but much like an old friend that you still like to be around but has taken up with drugs and drinking, sometimes the baggage involved isn't worth the trouble.

I could play more and get that extra 5%-10% that I'm missing now but I'm doing what I want to do and perfectly relaxed and happy with things the way they are.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-02-26 at 06:18 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I'm a casual that doesn't want to suck ass.

Casual simply refers to someone who doesn't play as much as someone who is hardcore
    Your wrong. I play a lot and I'm casual. Casual means you're not dedicated to the game. Hardcore means "your mother better be dying if you want to miss a night raid". For example, in a really hardcore guild they raid "non-stop" in the first raid days, you might be asked to get a vacation to be available during daytime

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    The thread isn't worded correctly. Elitist-Casual isn't binary; if anything, Hardcore-Casual is the binary, and even that's subjected to shades of gray.

One can be a hardcore without being an elitist
    One can be an elitist while still being casual

"Elitist" is a personality qualifier, not a playstyle qualifier.
    Thread is worded correctly, it says Casual OR elitist. It's not specified as an exclusive or so I have no reason to think we should treat it as one.

Ontopic:

Am I Casual or Elitist: Yes.

Casual: Someone who plays the game for non-end game content (non-lfr raids and heroics) due to choice or time constraints.

Elitist: Someone who actively seeks out challenging or end game content and believes they are better then others because of their accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    I'm a casual that doesn't want to suck ass.

Your wrong. I play a lot and I'm casual. Casual means you're not dedicated to the game. Hardcore means "your mother better be dying if you want to miss a night raid". For example, in a really hardcore guild they raid "non-stop" in the first raid days, you might be asked to get a vacation to be available during daytime

Unless you can provide sources and a full study on the meaning of these words in their original context and usage with respect to WoW, I'm pretty sure your interpretation of an otherwise vague concept shouldn't be the standard so that you can criticize others for having a different interpretation. Yes he MIGHT (I havn't given the thought into whether his does or does not) have a definition that isn't consistent with the core idea of the word but this thread specifically asks posters to explain their interpretation of it, and honestly yours seems just as bad as his.
    Last edited by Xenryusho; 2013-02-26 at 07:58 AM.

Deleted
    I'm a casual raider.
    We raid 2 days/week, have all normal modes done and 2 heroics (dogs and feng). Our raid environment is really laid back, we have fun playing together and make jokes and stuff like that. Maybe if we were more progress oriented we would have more heroics down by now, but considering how little we raid I think our progress is decent.

and well I don't really play much nowadays, I just log in to raids and every other day to do my farm and some dailies. On patch days I usually play more. like 2 hours daily. but right now I'm done with all reputations and stuff so I barely log in.
    Last edited by mmocd3b3345756; 2013-02-26 at 09:41 AM.

I'm an Elitist raider.

I have no problem with people wanting different things out of the game (Hardcore raiding certainly isn't for everyone, and nor should it be, like high school students... we won't admit you out of general principle). What I do have a problem with is the patently absurd "fairness doctrine", that just because people pay the same fee, they are entitled to the same rewards just by showing up.

My problem is really with Blizzard, not players. Blizzard is a foolish company if they think WoW being something for everyone is a strong game design direction, as they evidently do. They need to say very simply "in world of warcraft, if you want to do X, this is how you do it, end of story". For me, that X is raiding, and LFR should not exist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    I'm an Elitist raider.

I have no problem with people wanting different things out of the game (Hardcore raiding certainly isn't for everyone, and nor should it be, like high school students... we won't admit you out of general principle). What I do have a problem with is the patently absurd "fairness doctrine", that just because people pay the same fee, they are entitled to the same rewards just by showing up.

My problem is really with Blizzard, not players. Blizzard is a foolish company if they think WoW being something for everyone is a strong game design direction, as they evidently do. They need to say very simply "in world of warcraft, if you want to do X, this is how you do it, end of story". For me, that X is raiding, and LFR should not exist.
    Well, you think they are wrong? they have the largest and most successful mmo in the market. (I'm looking at it from a pure business perspective. their approach is just genius)

Deleted
    Casual Elitist I guess since I'm not one of the options given. I get upset if I'm not pulling my max out of my character, I don't know weither that even comes close to elitist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am casual in the sense I play games for fun. If I don't like a game I don't play it. Unless somehow I am really good at it then it's fun for a while. I care less what other people do with their gaming time, play what you want how you want to. I will say back in my BT and SWP days I was an elitist but I got over that not far into wrath when that attitude started making the game less fun for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the terms "casual" and "elitist" fit together poorly.
    Still, I'll give it a shot!

Casuals take a relaxed stance towards the game and prioritize real life and pure entertainment value over quantifiable progression in-game.

The counterpart of a casual would be a dedicated/hardcore player. The playerbase generally fits in the wide spectrum at some point between the two and not nearly as much in the absolutes.

Elitism
    as it appears in World of Warcraft seems to encompass some or all of the following traits:
    * A lofty sense of one's own expertise in relation to the general playerbase >> recurrent or constant arrogance and hostility.
    * An insecurity-driven need to project their imagined or real superiority on other players through aggressive, non-constructive criticism.
    * Partial or complete incapability to adjust one's expectations of other players according to one's environment - expecting organized coordination and flawless play in LFR and 95%+ of possible DPS/HPS output and chain pulling in 5mans.

Since the OP asked this, I would describe myself as a dedicated but moderate player.

Note!
    Contrary to a common misconception, elitism has nothing to do with players that offer thought-out, constructive and helpful criticism that is not laced with insults, personal attacks or prefacing every sentence with "ffs".
    Last edited by Nakkí; 2013-02-26 at 12:11 PM.
    Nakkiz of Memento <EU-Frostwhisper>

Casual in terms of character progress. I haven't done a single mop raid (except for lfr), my arena accomplishements aren't that great, and im at 1500-1600 cr or so in rbgs. However, as far as time invested goes... I usually play 6-7 hours a day, mostly doing random bgs.

I don't normally rage, but ofc, I do tell people to fuck off (not always worded that way) from time to time, depending on the collective IQ of the people I'm grouped with.

Well I don't like terms such as "elite".

I've played in the top 350 myself with my own guild. If you looked at my guild, it was a very friendly enviroment. People joked around and there were no cliques etc. Also we were very organised managementwise but also on how fast we decided and acted on things. Some said that we were "elitist". Funnily this term wasn't smacked onto us before we became server 1st. We never bossed other people around (apart from one or two players whom I corrected for that behavior) and generally acted friendly towards others or other guilds. So why did we get smacked being elitist? I have no clue whatsoever. Maybe the nr 1 guild always get smacked as such.

As a player I could be perceived "elite" but quite frankly I really detest that. I prefer the term "commited". I was very dedicated/commited to my guild and how I played.
    When I think of "elite" I just think of the number 1 guild in the world. And even then they probably are more like myself - just very commited. Perhaps more then myself.

But since I quit, I am now casual. And to me casual means less time and less commited.