Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm incredibly elitist.

I think that people who put pixels over the feelings of other human beings are sub human scum.

none of the above, only idiots use it to label players in video gaming communities

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not two sides of a coin like your question implies, it's a spectrum. And I'd prefer the term hard-core for one end of that spectrum over elitest.

I used to be closer to the hard core end, not one of those 20hours raiding a week people, but I did 9hours a week in 25man and then 10man as well, plus alts, always pushing progression. All the way up until Cata. In Cata I still did that but less focus on progression and more on having fun/raiding with friends. Then at DS I went pretty much to the complete other end of the spectrum by quitting raiding. (And the game for about a year, but I'm back now)

I do the occasional pug (Well I did during DS, Haven't in MoP at all) but other than that I just LFR, Do achievements, solo old content, do dalies and level alts and do it all in my own time when I have time.

For me the definition is simple.
    A casual player organizes their game time around their real life time and a hard-core player organizes their real life time around their game time. Each one of those has varying degrees but you'll see the top of the top hard-core players essentially take a break from real life during new content patches, and even the less hardcore still slot in that high mount of hours a day raiding like it's a job, they always have to be raiding at X time (my main reason for quitting raiding was I hated being required to be there at one exact time) where as a casual player has no real obligations. They might have a guild with a set raid time but no obligation to show up to it, like my old old guild way back where it was just first come first serve for invites, different roster every raid almost. Lots of raiders but only did a 10man.

Essentially I'd phrase it like this. If your guild raids on Thursday nights and a friend asks you to come to the bar for a drink or to go see a movie you want to see on Thursday night, would you say yes or no? If yes, casual, if no, hardcore. (Though like I said it's a spectrum so it's not EXACTLY that cut and dry)
    Last edited by Anakso; 2013-02-26 at 12:27 PM.

Really depends on my mood and level of patience for whatever it is I am doing. Ironically it is mostly failing elitist people that waste my time in some way, that get on my nerves. Generally though I am either nice or quiet, getting into cyber arguments with people you won't ever see again is like arguing with a chair.

I play a lot.

I have no problem with less skilled players unless they waste my time when I try to cap valor on alts in HC's. Meaning that is they afk on purpose or underperform even though I give them friendly tips saying what could help their performance. Might be elitist in some peoples eyes, but I'm an old dog whos used to how it used to be back in the days where you had to make the groups individually and LFR/LFD didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post

Essentially I'd phrase it like this. If your guild raids on Thursday nights and a friend asks you to come to the bar for a drink or to go see a movie you want to see on Thursday night, would you say yes or no? If yes, casual, if no, hardcore. (Though like I said it's a spectrum so it's not EXACTLY that cut and dry)
    Aren't we actually talking about levels of addiction to this game?

If this was a raid night I would go out with my real life friend only if this was a "long time no see, but I always liked spending time with him a lot" kind of friend.
    That, I think, makes me addicted.

But on the other hand, these days is not uncommon to see people in pubs, or clubs, or restaurants to sit with each other, drink their fav drinks, while being online on facebook or some other unreal "E-community" sites.

At least playing wow is the kind of active (brain-wise) way of spending time.

I am by no means hardcore, nor elitist, but I strongly dislike players who do not care/try to play the best they can, which implicates constant trying to understand the game more and improve their skill.
    Last edited by mikoslav; 2013-02-26 at 01:47 PM.

I was a 100% elitist, now that I stopped playing im just a jerk.
    N

10+ Year Old Account
    Elitist - someone who thinks that the fact that they've spent enough hours on the gear treadmill to have a bigger e-peen makes them a better player, or in more extreme cases, a better person.

Casual - someone who plays WoW in their own way, for their own enjoyment, and doesn't focus obsessively on the 'endgame'. Increasingly rare as Blizzard whittles down the game's depth and complexity. (As an example, back in vanilla I knew multiple crafters - people whose joy in playing came from making stuff. That was what they did and they liked it. By the end of Wrath, crafting had become very limited and quite boring, and it only got worse from there.)

Hardcore - someone who focuses on conquering a challenging part of the endgame, be it Raiding, Arenas, or Rated BGs. Usually knows their character inside and out. Increasingly rare as Blizzard makes the classes more homogeneous, makes content easier, and slowly eliminates all the little tricks and tweaks that separated a hardcore player from a competent casual.

Personally, I've varied. I was a noob in vanilla, a good casual player in BC, hardcore in Wrath, tried to have fun as a casual in Cata, and gave up on the game as MoP arrived.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mikoslav View Post
    Aren't we actually talking about levels of addiction to this game?
    That's kind of another way to look at it I guess, hard-core players are probably more addicted to the game than casuals but I don't think it would be a direct correlation. Some people don't even raid or pvp but can still be addicted, I'd still call them casuals because there is nothing keeping them on the game at one specific moment. Unless they become so addicted they don't want to go out with friends even when they have nothing specific to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mikoslav View Post
    I am by no means hardcore, nor elitist, but I strongly dislike players who do not care/try to play the best they can, which implicates constant trying to understand the game more and improve their skill.
    I strongly disagree with that statement. There is absolutely no specific time requirement to learning how to play the game, at least not in the same sense as raiding hard-core with a guild.

Yes, you do have to put a little bit of time in to learn how to play but it really does not take long to learn to be good enough to keep up, and it's completely different than raiding with a guild because learning to play your class/the game is something that can be done in your own time, and easily done by a casual. There is a HUGE difference between casual players that don't let the game dictate any part of their lives and don't want to put effort into playing and casual players that want to get carried, and I believe what you're referring to is the latter. Especially if you're in a raiding guild as you almost definitely don't come across the former at all except maybe in random queues like LFR, LFD which obviously don't really require people to know much about anything.

Did an SM Achievement run today as the top dps on my tank geared in ilevel 450 Black smith gear, with a healer who was healing "for the first time"

Dungeons and the types of things you'll run into those players in, aren't tuned to require anything more because the casual player base for blizzard is huge, you just probably don't notice them very often.

Deleted
    Hardcore casual, raid 2-3times a week usually.Try to cap valor and all that good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    I strongly disagree with that statement. There is absolutely no specific time requirement to learning how to play the game, at least not in the same sense as raiding hard-core with a guild.

Yes, you do have to put a little bit of time in to learn how to play but it really does not take long to learn to be good enough to keep up, and it's completely different than raiding with a guild because learning to play your class/the game is something that can be done in your own time, and easily done by a casual. There is a HUGE difference between casual players that don't let the game dictate any part of their lives and don't want to put effort into playing and casual players that want to get carried, and I believe what you're referring to is the latter. Especially if you're in a raiding guild as you almost definitely don't come across the former at all except maybe in random queues like LFR, LFD which obviously don't really require people to know much about anything.

Did an SM Achievement run today as the top dps on my tank geared in ilevel 450 Black smith gear, with a healer who was healing "for the first time"

Dungeons and the types of things you'll run into those players in, aren't tuned to require anything more because the casual player base for blizzard is huge, you just probably don't notice them very often.
    I think we agree more than we dont.
    I have not mentioned any time requirement, I just strongly dislike players who make me waste my time, be it in dungs, or lfrs, or normal raids.
    If I am in a random dung in a group with more than 1 player who does not know what he s even doing there, I consider it time partially wasted.
    If I am in LFR, on fresh dinged 90 alt, and it s late, and I am doing my best, and 10 players just want to be carried, and we wipe on will of emperor (LFR), my time is wasted. I strongly dislike those players who do not even try to be good. Probably because they cant even tell the difference between a good and a bad player.
    These players I talk about are in 90% cases a DPS role. And they dont have a clue. I strongly suspect they dont use recount/skada, nor DBM, forget something more sophisticated. They prolly have not heard about "tactics", "mechanics" they probably can understand raid role system, and that s about how involved they are.

OMG I just realized I indeed am an elitist...

BTW 10 million wow players,
    330k users on this forum, that s 3% of the player base. So perhaps if you register on forum for the game sake, you shoudl be considered an elitist? :P
    Last edited by mikoslav; 2013-02-26 at 02:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a casual. Haven't been a raider for 6 years since TBC. As for concept:

Casual - Log in, do what you want, play how you want, come and go as you please.

Elitist - Log in, grind all dailies, grind LFR, grind Heroics, gem/chant/socket gear, max rotation/dmg, get 15 required addons, max crafting profs, craft epic gear, upgrade gear, attend raid meetings, miss a raid and lose your spot, fall behind and get kicked from guild.

So glad to be a casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I'm casual I don't do anything but LFR

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd consider myself a high skill, well-informed, casual schedule / hardcore mindset raider.

What does this mean?

High skill: I know my reaction times, situational awareness, and ability to adapt and carry my raid are roughly 95th percentile or better. I used to be a top 10 U.S. Spriest and I haven't lost my edge...but the amount of log-whores these days is staggering compared to BC and I'm not making top 10 parses anymore.

Well-informed: I know the ins and outs of just about every class and I find myself offering insight in strategy tweaks/changes on progression nights.

Casual schedule / hardcore mindset: we raid 3 nights (12-14 hours) / week...but come raid time, its with 100% focus and determination. There are no extended breaks, attendance is critical, and we push progression HARD. Mind you, we do what most guilds do on 4 or 5 nights / week. If being proud of that is elitist, then call me what you will. It doesn't bother me, I know I'm good.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-02-26 at 02:41 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    somewhere in between. none of this terms is me.

Most definitely casual after tier 11. I'm only leveling characters, get them full heroic blue dungeon gear and hop on to the next one. Haven't touched a single daily quest in MoP as of yet, only done LFR once in MoP.

Deleted
    Elitism isn't raiding a lot, elitism is being a jerk about the performance of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I'm a casual. Haven't been a raider for 6 years since TBC. As for concept:

Casual - Log in, do what you want, play how you want, come and go as you please.

Elitist - Log in, grind all dailies, grind LFR, grind Heroics, gem/chant/socket gear, max rotation/dmg, get 15 required addons, max crafting profs, craft epic gear, upgrade gear, attend raid meetings, miss a raid and lose your spot, fall behind and get kicked from guild.

So glad to be a casual.
    Don't know if you are exaggerating (perhaps by looking at your 15 required addons you might... ) But if you get kicked from a guild by just missing out ONE raid or even benched... I wouldn't join a guild that base their "control" over their memberbase by fear tbh. Cause that it what it is. And my experiences sofar (altho limited) haven't shown longstanding highendgame guilds that would enforce those rules...

Sure there are a few shortlived guilds who "try to be leet" and fail cause their memberbase jumps ship as soon as something more humane comes along with equal or better progress.

Deleted
    Very much casual. While I enjoy raiding, it's never really got going for me in MoP for various reasons (guild issues, dead server) so I find myself leveling alts quite a bit and doing some old raids for transmog. Used to raid through BC (end of) and Wrath and some of Cata, and played probably about as much as I do now, time-wise.

I have never been hardcore, but I will still read up on classes and try to perform at my best, and keep abreast of changes, but alas I will never go back to raiding 3-4 nights a week - as Roger Murtaugh said in Leathal Weapon "I'm too old for this shit"

Deleted
    I would say I am a Senior. Not in terms of age but attitude. (but age maybe too as I am close to 30:-) )

I know that wow is just a game but I am keeping in mind that I am playing it with people which dedicate indispensable time to it (thinking about raiding) and therefore is my obligation to be always on time, have the best knowledge of my class, role and encounter possible and execute what I am there to with the best skill I can put out.