Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Right. Although the last time I played wow and used their auto dungeon finder, no one said a word, ever. I said hello a couple of times and I was promptly met with silence. So you may be correct in that GW2 has less communication, it's pretty hard to be less than 0 (no negative numbers here, mathematic experts)
    Heh, true enough. It is hard to get less than zero communication. Though just as the 3 vs. 2 clicks example above, I don't find the extent of conversation such as;

Shouter: "LF2M Fractals."
    Me: "I'll go. 80 GS/Rifle Zerk Warrior."
    *invite*

That occupies Guild Wars 2 for the most part to be so remarkable one would hang their hat on that deep social experience.

I guess I just assumed people would communicate more if they didn't let the in-game tool do all the work for them.
    Well, the other thing is... there is nothing to communicate really.

With few exceptions there is literally nothing to explain or talk about in a given dungeon or FOTM. The majority of players joining these groups know the paths and FOTMs already from my experience. If they don't know, very few reveal they are new and tag along with the group all the same.

Bosses are not strategic in GW2 as it is an action game. There are only 2 or 3 bosses in the whole game that have a "strat" so to speak. So even the once in a thousand run query, "Hi. New guy here. Not sure how to do this boss." of traditional MMOs is so rare as to be non-existent.

In fact, I have never seen a single person ask the group how to do a boss or path in GW2. You just sorta, go, due to the fast paced action nature of the game.

Guild Wars 2 is perhaps the most anonymous MMO out there. Or as my sister once remarked of the game, "It feels like we are soloing next to random strangers."
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-26 at 05:59 PM. Reason: double post.

well people in dungeons (as well as in the outside world) don't really need to speak to each other since their difficulty is really low for the most part, which is one of my main gripes with gw2 atm.
    some would say Anet current encounter design devs are bad, i would probably have to agree there.
    though, contrarily to many out there, i don't feel it has anything to do with (not) having trinity.

there's quite a bit of things they could do to make encounters much harder, it just feels like they didn't do it (yet?) to cater to the "teddy bear" player base who cries as soon as they can't clear something on their first try (god how much there's been "omg so fckin hard!" bs at launch).

back to the topic, i was of those who expected Anet to use the very same party search function which existed in gw1 and felt pretty underwhelmed when i discovered the LFG flag which usefulness is close to zero.
    hope they'll come up with a decent UI soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    In fact, I have never seen a single person ask the group how to do a boss or path in GW2. You just sorta, go, due to the fast paced action nature of the game.
    None of the groups I've done ever informed us of when we were coming up on a boss. We wiped in the first room of AC Story because of that as well.

While there may not be much strategy involved, a tip on which bosses are particularly melee unfriendly would have helped alleviate a lot of downed/deaths too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    None of the groups I've done ever informed us of when we were coming up on a boss. We wiped in the first room of AC Story because of that as well.

While there may not be much strategy involved, a tip on which bosses are particularly melee unfriendly would have helped alleviate a lot of downed/deaths too.
    Was always sort of implied in my experience. Especially in story mode. During the week of release, AC was... "fun."
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Are there any melee unfriendly bosses? The only ones which spring to mind are like centaur guy in CM and a few gimmick fights like throwing rocks around.

I melee almost everything in the game. Can't -stand- magic based classes. I only play tanks in traditional MMOs and melee where tanking is not available. I even melee as a sword/sword Mesmer actually. Sword/pistol is my flip set. So no real spammable ranged attacks.

Personally speaking, I think the melee QQ is a little overblown. People say the same thing about Path of Exile, and yea melee is tougher than ranged, but still do-able. Just my opinion on it though. Everyone sees it differently, I suppose.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-27 at 04:19 AM.

What is PoE?
    And I agree, melee isn't zomg hard but it is harder than ranged. For instance last boss of CoF p1. You have to watch out for (fire)stomp, flame thrower, grond knock (wave) and roof collapse as melee while as ranged it's only roof collapse since the "waves" can easily be avoided by walking.

However all those attacks have huge tells and you can tank the wave and flame thrower quite a bit, you'll simply lose dps. This is a good example of knowing what to dodge.

I'm assuming PoE is path of exile, an action rpg

Are there any melee unfriendly bosses?
    I couldn't seem to get anywhere near that first guy in AC Story without getting my face handed to me. I suppose it didn't help we had two other melee so it was difficult to see his 'tells' and, obviously, not knowing the fight I didn't know what all his attacks did either.

I don't know. AC was just a nightmare. Out of the 5 dungeons I did for the monthly (AC, CM, CMP2, HotW, Arah) it was the worst by a significant margin.

I couldn't seem to get anywhere near that first guy in AC Story without getting my face handed to me. I suppose it didn't help we had two other melee so it was difficult to see his 'tells' and, obviously, not knowing the fight I didn't know what all his attacks did either.

I don't know. AC was just a nightmare. Out of the 5 dungeons I did for the monthly (AC, CM, CMP2, HotW, Arah) it was the worst by a significant margin.
    Heh. I like AC story mode because it is strongly tied to Guild Wars 1. That's Master Ranger Nente and Kasha Blackblood! Those were the trainers in old Ascalon in Guild Wars 1 for ranger and necromancer jobs respectively.

All the Charr and Ascalonian lands in GW2 are callbacks to the real Guild Wars. Lornar Pass is also one giant nostalgia zone.

My brother-in-law and I duo'd AC in story and expo mode path 2 as Warrior/Ele and Engineer/Thief. Not too hard, just slow. With a full group you simply tear through the zone. Especially since every mob uses GW1 logic and skills.

I think it's fun and pretty easy. YMMV.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-27 at 11:28 AM.

Guild Wars 2 is perhaps the most anonymous MMO out there. Or as my sister once remarked of the game, "It feels like we are soloing next to random strangers."
    Yeah, but at least in this game, you won't mind "strangers" coming near you.
    In other MMOs, it's almost bad having them around unless you form a party, and sometimes you just don't wanna deal with that just for a quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    Yeah, but at least in this game, you won't mind "strangers" coming near you.
    In other MMOs, it's almost bad having them around unless you form a party, and sometimes you just don't wanna deal with that just for a quest.
    Really hard to care about that though. Since most modern MMOs are meant to be very casual & solo player friendly.

It's 6:11am and I am playing SWTOR right now. I just solo'd an entire elite area. The boss spawns after you click a panel. So I did, and killed him. Concurrently some other solo player also clicked the panel and got his own boss spawn.

That's modern MMOs.

The last time I can remember needing to "compete" for anything in the open world on a PVE realm was like... Aion circa original release. When mobs took a long time to spawn and the only progression was pure mob grinding in 1-2 zones.

It's not really a big deal. We're not playing true MMOs anymore ala FF11, EQ, Lineage or DAOC. Though it is nice all the same to have the other humans playing the same massively multiplayer online video game be of no consequence one way or the other.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-27 at 12:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

It's not really a big deal. We're not playing true MMOs anymore ala FF11, EQ, Lineage or DAOC. Though it is nice all the same to have the other humans playing the same massively multiplayer online video game be of no consequence one way or the other.
    Aww, those last sentences made me cringe. I know its true, but I think its the truth of the matter that stings.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

GW2 has so much over other MMO's that I appreciate but one thing it could really use is a LFG tool. I haven't done a single dungeon, because I don't want to spend the prep time. Either queue me in to a dungeon or I won't do them, my gaming time is stretched too thin to spend half an hour just putting a group together.

Deleted
    ^

most of the group can be created in less than 2-3m.

Quote Originally Posted by almosthuman View Post
    ^

most of the group can be created in less than 2-3m.
    Then why does anyone use the lfg site?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Then why does anyone use the lfg site?
    Thats how groups are formed in 2-3 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how people act like there is deep conversation when people use GW2LFG.com . . . . I dont know if people are trolling or if they are serious.

You sign up on GW2LFG, 1 min later you rcv an invite, everyone ports to the Dungeon, enters, and mops it up, without saying a single word. There is no difference in completing dungeons between GW2 and WoW. Silent all the way through, unless your on vent with buddies.

Face it. GW2 needs a button that groups you with people who want to do the same dungeon as you. It doesnt need to port you. . because you can already PORT in GW2.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2013-02-27 at 10:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I love how people act like there is deep conversation when people use GW2LFG.com . . . . I dont know if people are trolling or if they are serious.

You sign up on GW2LFG, 1 min later you rcv an invite, everyone ports to the Dungeon, enters, and mops it up, without saying a single word. There is no difference in completing dungeons between GW2 and WoW. Silent all the way through, unless your on vent with buddies.

Face it. GW2 needs a button that groups you with people who want to do the same dungeon as you. It doesnt need to port you. . because you can already PORT in GW2.
    That is exactly how it has worked for me when using the site. Would be nice to not have to alt tab out to do it though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Yes it does, it does indeed. The community will not suffer at all, seeing as pretty much everyone uses lfg and not chat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    Creating a party without the website, is beyond retarded and not having the tool in-game now just seems like developers being lazy. The LFG tool they built in is pathetic and worthless and if you're one of those "Well it's gonna ruin the community" please do the rest a favor and just go away. The fact this game has cross server grouping and instances is enough to show they don't care about your home server when forging a group for dungeons.
    Wouldn't be fair to the owner of the website. He found a niche market and has a website dedicated to supplying the demand for an efficient LFG tool. How would you feel if you created your very own product, then some big business stole your idea and put you out of business?