10+ Year Old Account

Sagely (or Sorcererly) Advice

I'm thinking of starting to work on a Sage next, but I am very ill-informed as to how they work. I've played plenty of Shadows (2 Shadows and 1 Assassin), so I know about the Melee Consular side, but not so much the casting side.

For those more experienced, do you have any advice? I'm looking at both Pre-50 and Post-50, PvEa and PvP, as well as Healer vs. Non-Healer.

Thanks!

I leveled a Sorcerer not too long ago and leveled in the Lightning spec tree, and I have to say that the DPS rotation was fairly easy to pick up. You begin the fight by throwing down your DOTS and then just rotate between three lightning casts, pausing to throw out chain lightning when the instant cast procs. I don't really know the ability names for the Consular off-hand, but if you level the class you'll pick it up quickly, very self explanatory.

As far as healing goes, I've never put points into the healing tree, but I was still able to heal fairly well with the two heals that all Sage/Sorcs get. I've done some clutch healing in warzones (pre 50) and I've been able to heal every single pre 50 Flashpoint with the exception of the Foundry (because HK-47 has mad burst damage.) That's just my experience, but as I said, I leveled in Lightning and I was able to both DPS and Heal with no problems.

After reaching 50 I benched the Sorc and haven't played it since, so I can't speak to max level content.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, yay, you're looking at lvling a sage! I leveled as a seer, because healing is what I've always done in MMOs and groups are easier to find, plus the ques pop faster... but if I could do it over again, I would have solo lvled dps and grabbed field respec to heal flashpoints and warzones(I'm sure you have legacy lvl 10 and credits with all the alts you have).

At 50, I've pvp healed in regs and raided with all three trees. I gear as a healer and my gear does fine in guild ops for dpsing if we have too many healers... which is nice. My favorite dps tree is the telekinetic(lightning for sorc)... you don't have to worry about force and the procs/dots/rotation are fun to keep up on. Healing in warzones is a blast... bubble+stuns+force sprint+interrupts+puddle=lotsa fun... unless you get focused and die a lot. Rated teams will want a sage healer, although I haven't participated.

Basically, as a sage, you'll find spots in high lvl content(pve and pvp) if that's what you're aiming for. There is fun and utility to be found in all three trees... and it looks like that'll continue into 2.0.

for leveling I recommend madness, the sorceror gets really fun as soon as you get the madness talent and can cast force lightning witthout cooldown
    with the legacy perk you can respecialize witthout any cost if you want to do some flashpoints and heal

10+ Year Old Account
    What about stat priority?

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    What about stat priority?
    for now you are working with this:

Willpower > Crit/Surge > Power > Alacrity

Once you reach 35% crit and 75% Surge (which is the average point you start really hitting diminishing returns)

you move to this:

Willpower > Power > Crit/Surge > Alacrity

HOWEVER, is saying all that - there will be some changes in 2.0 with alacrity getting reworked and how it will assist resource management, lower casting times and also lower the global cool down in some cases. It may actually be a nice stat to have in 2.0

ALSO: There is something going on with accuracy now for sages. Kinda like spell hit. It's very likely come 2.0 you will need accuracy when going DPS as a sage class (just not for healing)

Deleted
    I wish I could describe the way I play my Sorc, but it's difficult since it's just sort of there, in the back of my head. As with most classes it requires adaptation to different situations.
    I only really play low-level PvP as a Madness specced Sorc and I find myself doing roughly 280-310k damage and 60-80k healing every game, as compared to my teammates who usually deal around 75-150k damage.

I'd tell you about a rotation or something like that, but it varies depending on who and what I fight. When in combat with a healer for example you'll want fast burst damage so spamming Force Lightning probably isn't going to work very well. Adaptation, as I said.

If I have to put it into a Madness PvP "rotation" though, I'd say use Force Lightning as your main ability and cast Crushing Darkness when your Wrath talent procs. Death Field is a perfect "execution" ability, instant cast that deals a lot of damage. If your target is low on health you can also save your Wrath proc for Lightning Strike, which should deal a nice amount of damage coupled with a Force Lightning.
    Affliction is an amazing ability for multi-dotting and I would suggest dropping it on anyone you see as long as you can afford it.

Handling cooldowns is also important, of course. Don't mindlessly knockback people as soon as they get to you, instead save it for when they do something nasty (such as Ravage). Same goes for stuns, don't waste them recklessly.

That's really all the advice I can give without showing a video or so of me playing.

Edit: Of course this would simply be mirrored with the Sage class abilities.
    Last edited by mmocfd8dce4bf2; 2013-02-26 at 03:31 PM.

Sorcerers are the best!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaela View Post
    I wish I could describe the way I play my Sorc, but it's difficult since it's just sort of there, in the back of my head. As with most classes it requires adaptation to different situations.
    I only really play low-level PvP as a Madness specced Sorc and I find myself doing roughly 280-310k damage and 60-80k healing every game, as compared to my teammates who usually deal around 75-150k damage.

I'd tell you about a rotation or something like that, but it varies depending on who and what I fight. When in combat with a healer for example you'll want fast burst damage so spamming Force Lightning probably isn't going to work very well. Adaptation, as I said.

If I have to put it into a Madness PvP "rotation" though, I'd say use Force Lightning as your main ability and cast Crushing Darkness when your Wrath talent procs. Death Field is a perfect "execution" ability, instant cast that deals a lot of damage. If your target is low on health you can also save your Wrath proc for Lightning Strike, which should deal a nice amount of damage coupled with a Force Lightning.
    Affliction is an amazing ability for multi-dotting and I would suggest dropping it on anyone you see as long as you can afford it.

Handling cooldowns is also important, of course. Don't mindlessly knockback people as soon as they get to you, instead save it for when they do something nasty (such as Ravage). Same goes for stuns, don't waste them recklessly.

That's really all the advice I can give without showing a video or so of me playing.

Edit: Of course this would simply be mirrored with the Sage class abilities.

To put it simply, sorc's are Freaking awesome. I love mine, im level 30,, and along with my awesome tank companion ive been able to solo the game thus far. (excluding 3+ heroics) ... Although I am able to take on 2+ heroics with just me and my khem val (melee tank companion ^^); I love the skill tree, which consists of healing, madness and lightning; The last two are basically dot ranged and direct dps ranged respectively. Im running a 50/50 healing/lightning build atm, and I must say its been working great for me! I would definitely recommend this class to anyone who likes wizard/sorc builds, and likes being able to deal out very nice dps damage as well as heal ^^ They are also very good Crowd COntrolers, which is another reason you shouldn't have too hard of a time surviving if you like soloing as I do ^^. Good Luck fellow Sith! >=-D